Droid X vs. Samsung Fascinate

I've been researching phones, so this thread drew my attention when it was started and I've been coming back since then to read all of the opinions. So, thanks to those who have shared!

I was able to upgrade today and went with the Droid X. I got it free from Wirefly, and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can play with it!!!

Are you with Verizon? How does that work when you buy it someplace else?

For the Fascinate users:

I've read about complaints not being able to upgrade to Android 2.2 with this phone?

Also, I've read complaints about it having Bing and not Google.

How is the GPS? Can you use something that doesn't require a monthly charge through Verizon for their GPS?

Are you with Verizon? How does that work when you buy it someplace else?

Yup, I am with Verizon. When I did the upgrade on Wirefly, I had to put in my acct. number and pin, as well as the other typical information. Then, they verify everything with Verizon when they process the order. I'm not sure how the activation of the new phone works, but hopefully that will be quick and easy too. I'll try to remember to update when its all done and my new phone is working!

For the Fascinate users:

I've read about complaints not being able to upgrade to Android 2.2 with this phone?

Also, I've read complaints about it having Bing and not Google.

How is the GPS? Can you use something that doesn't require a monthly charge through Verizon for their GPS?

Fascinate owner here..

True, the upgrade to 2.2 has not happen yet. Frustrating ..

I don't like Bing either, but all you have to do is download Google from the Marketplace for free.

The best GPS program is Google Maps. It's a great free program in the Marketplace. It does spoken search and spoken directions. You can use it on any Android phone.

As far as an X vs. Fascinate ... the X screen is bigger, but the color and sharpness on the Fascinate sold me!

If you haven't already, you should really go to the store and play with the models. I did a lot of research online before I got my phone. I watched many video reviews of all the phones, etc. I had decided on the Droid X. However, when I went to the store to get the phone, I could barely hold the Droid X!! It was very uncomfortable for me to wrap my hand around the phone.

I ended up with the LG Vortex. It is a Droid but has a much smaller footprint. It feels a lot more comfortable in my hand.

The one thing that I am finding, however, is that I am not great with a touch keyboard. I can't seem to type "properly" (i.e. with thumbs) because I always hit the wrong button. And my hands are small (I am 4'10"). I don't know what someone with larger hands would do!! I have to text by using my pointer finger on my right hand. I think the Fascinate is a little longer (taller) than the Vortex, so the keys might be spaced out a little more and be easier to text.

Maggie

nope...it comes w/ GPS. i have the droid X and i tested the GPS going to restaurants with DGF. it has a voice to text feature, so i just pressed the little microphone and i said the restaurant we were going to, and 2 seconds later it began telling us where to go. i already knew where to go, i was just testing it. it was fun.

I have the droid X and love it. I was holding out for the iphone to come to verizon. I didnt want to wait any longer so I got the Droid X this past summer.
I am so happy with it I have no desire to ever get the iphone!

maggiew.....Does your phone have swype for texting? It makes texting so easy! When I got my Droid the sales person showed it to me and I was amazed. It makes texting on a touch screen so easy!

nope...it comes w/ GPS. i have the droid X and i tested the GPS going to restaurants with DGF. it has a voice to text feature, so i just pressed the little microphone and i said the restaurant we were going to, and 2 seconds later it began telling us where to go. i already knew where to go, i was just testing it. it was fun.

It's fun isn't it? :) I love that feature. :) I bought the holder for the car so I can slip my phone into it when I'm using it for GPS. :)

I have the droid X and love it. I was holding out for the iphone to come to verizon. I didnt want to wait any longer so I got the Droid X this past summer.
I am so happy with it I have no desire to ever get the iphone!

maggiew.....Does your phone have swype for texting? It makes texting so easy! When I got my Droid the sales person showed it to me and I was amazed. It makes texting on a touch screen so easy!

I have the swype on my Droid X, I love it. :) So easy to use and so much faster! :)

what's everyones fav non disney apps and disney apps for droids...

I only have one, mousewait, love it. :) But I haven't used it in real time, I haven't been to DL in over a year. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter