Driving vs. Flying to WDW

We drove all but one time when I was a kid (14 hours). We usually did it in one day there, but broke the trip into 2 days on the way back.

I often receive email specials. You can watch up to days before you leave for specials too. On a Sunday last year ds said he was going by train to Disney, taking the auto. I went online and found an $80 flight for Wed. and met them there on Thursday to granny sit.

we drove back. But, i and dd get anxiety/panic, she gets car sick. I have a lot of arthritis in the lumbar and back. Had I known, I would have booked flights back.

If a last resort, would drive, but with last minute seats to be filled maybe you can find something.

The other thing too, lf you do not have a travel friendly family, lots of stops are needed, stressed drivers, whiney kids, days lost on endless miles, it is not good times.

But, if you find a great fare, and then go back later, it will be higher....It is a way to hook in on some sites.
I also agree to watch for alternate airport. To get on a nonstop flight for just over 2 hours as opposed to 2 days each way on the road is not worth it if flights are found for $900. Between raising gas cost, tolls, food on the road and motel....
You could save money staying a day earlier or later to work out flights at another hotel.

However you get there, enjoy.

We drove it with a 2 year old from Bloomington, IL last year. We left about 3 or 4 pm (after my husband got off work). We drove through the night because we had four adults who could drive. Arrived at about noon the next day (we only stopped when we needed gas or to go to the bathroom and did fast food meals). We planned an extra night in the hotel, so we didn't go to the park our first day. It took us about 100 gallons of gas round trip.

We are doing it again in Sept. We'll only have three drivers this time. Still planning to drive straight through and add an extra night to the beginning of our trip. As an added bonus, we are going during free dining and will get an extra set of meal credits to go with our extra night stay. I think we might plan to do the Luau dinner show on our arrival night--we don't need a park ticket to do it and then we won't have to take an evening that could otherwise be spent at the park.

Even at $89 each way, tickets for four of us was pushing $800 (and that is before any bag fees). We like being able to go to the outlet stores and get groceries if we want to. If I could fly for $150 per person including luggage, I would, but unless I find a really good sale, I don't see it happening anytime soon so we'll be driving.

We live in New jersey and it's approx. 1100 miles to Disney. We have driven a few times and are planning to drive again in less than 2 weeks:cool1:. I like the family time we get to spend together during the drive (although sometimes, I want to kill them! LOL). our normal schedule at home is crazy because of various games, practices, activities etc. so the family time that driving provides is also a bonus for us. I also like the freedom of having my own car at Disney. A huge plus is the cost saving factor of driving especially now with the added cost of luggage fees on top of ticket fees. I also don't have to worry about how much my luggage weighs (I'm a bit of an over packer). We have also flown many many times and yes you get there in a few hours which is also great which in turn gives you more Disney time.

It saves us a LOT of driving time. We could get a two hour direct flight from Cincy, but we can fly from here (Louisville) and get only a 1 hour stop in either Atlanta or Cincy. Leave here after breakfast...get there before lunch!

Still...the cost savings has to be substantial for us to drive. We usually DO drive, but we have two free tickets on Delta now, so the cost of two more would be about the same as driving.

But the other tickets we had to buy only ran us $207 each including tax.

We drive. It's a 23 hour trip, but it's much cheaper for a family of 5. Plus we save money because we can bring more stuff with us and go grocery shopping our first day to save money on food costs.

Last May my kids were 10, 5, and almost 3 (and very newly potty trained). We have never had any issues with the drive.

Many people suggest breaking the trip up over several days, but we prefer to get it over with in one shot. Also, driving straight our kids will sleep about half the drive. If we stopped, they would actually be awake in the car for 23 hours. When I was a kid, my parents stopped a few times but soon learned better-- since we had been cooped up in a car all day we just wanted to run around the hotel room and wouldn't let them sleep.

Also, if we're going to be paying for a hotel it may as well be one at Disney. :goodvibes This year we got there in the early afternoon, checked in, ran to the store, moved our stuff in, and let DH get some sleep while the kids and I explored the resort. This works out well because we can just hit the parks early in the morning on our "first" day instead of checking in, etc.

Thanks all! I think at the time we are planning on driving, but I am going to keep watching the airfares. If we can find a cheap airfare, then we will look to book it.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

You could fly out of Milwaukee too. They have some park & fly lots that are currently $5/day which is a good deal depending on what kind of airfare you get. I have been pricing out 6 tickets for November and have been coming in at under $1200 for nonstop.

Keep looking!

Thanks all! I think at the time we are planning on driving, but I am going to keep watching the airfares. If we can find a cheap airfare, then we will look to book it.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

We're in the same boat you are...and we'll be arriving the day you leave! Unless I can find very, very good prices on tickets for my family of 5, it just isn't cost-effective. We have another trip planned in August to a family wedding in OR. I don't think we can afford to fly to both, and I'd rather do the drive to Orlando than to Oregon!! :eek: It'll be our first long car trip as just our little family (did it with extended family twice in the past two years - once to OK and once to VA Beach), so I know we'll have some grouchy moments. But we have a two-screen DVD player, each of the older kids has a Nintendo DS, and I'm planning on getting some audio versions of some kids books. It's much more than we had when I was a kid, and we always drove to Disney. I've got the time planned out - I think we'll leave early Friday morning (say 4 a.m.) and drive until about 5, packing a cooler with sandwich stuff for a good long lunch break at a rest stop (complete with a game of tag or two) and do a fast-food breakfast. Hotel and pool that evening to let the kids stretch, and then be on the road by 8 a.m. and to Disney by 1 on Saturday. DH and I aren't good enough at staying awake to drive through the night like my dad used to, unfortunately. Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter