Driving to HHI

Just found this thread. We are going to HHI in January for our first DVC trip! :cool1: We live at "the end of VA"! (Actually, on the NC/VA border) near where you get on 77. Would you say the 77-26-95 exit 8 route is the easiest drive for us? Thanks!

Yes, this is the best route for you. Depending on time of day you may hit some traffic heading into Charlotte (on the 77). Once you've made it through the city travel time is about 4 hours to the door of HH-DVC.

Yes, this is the best route for you. Depending on time of day you may hit some traffic heading into Charlotte (on the 77). Once you've made it through the city travel time is about 4 hours to the door of HH-DVC.

How much of a drive is it from Charlotte to HHI ? DS is huge Nascar fan and wants to stop for a day or two in Charlotte to visit race team headquarters on one of our north or south bound trips.

:goodvibes

How much of a drive is it from Charlotte to HHI ? DS is huge Nascar fan and wants to stop for a day or two in Charlotte to visit race team headquarters on one of our north or south bound trips.

Not sure where exactly you are headed (the new Nascar Hall of Fame doesn't open until next year) but Hilton Head to South Charlotte is 4 hours or a little less depending on traffic. The actual race track is north of town, so add 30 minutes if headed north at the time. If you are going during a big race weekend (ie. one of those Coke-A-Cola races) add an extra hour or two to get to the racetrack.

When driving to HHI from anywhere, plan for at least an hour for the 15 mile drive from I-95 to the resort. Even at night, that bit of road is busy.

Also, beware of the speed laws. Blufton (the town you drive through to get to HHI) is a speed trap.

Wow, an hour huh? I wonder if it is like that in non-peak times, like early November? That's when we're going to HHI.

We just drove home from WDW last night, and from exit 8 on 95 to our home which is south and a bit east of Charlotte was 3 hrs 15 mins (this was from 9pm to 12:15am last night, so no traffic and we were flying down the highway.)

"Wow, an hour huh? I wonder if it is like that in non-peak times, like early November? That's when we're going to HHI."

Not a Peak or Non-Peak issue. Hilton Head (and the surrounding area) is the second or third most populated area in S.C.

There is ONE road onto the island, US 278, and nothing else. You can get around some of the traffic before you get to Bluffton, but, once you pass Bluffton, that's it. One road and a LOT of stoplights.

Once you are on HHI, you'll be ok. Getting around the island is easy. It's getting TO the island that is hard.

liznboys said:
Wow, an hour huh? I wonder if it is like that in non-peak times, like early November? That's when we're going to HHI.

Not a Peak or Non-Peak issue. Hilton Head (and the surrounding area) is the second or third most populated area in S.C.

There is ONE road onto the island, US 278, and nothing else. You can get around some of the traffic before you get to Bluffton, but, once you pass Bluffton, that's it. One road and a LOT of stoplights.

Once you are on HHI, you'll be ok. Getting around the island is easy. It's getting TO the island that is hard.

Oh ok, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Not sure where exactly you are headed (the new Nascar Hall of Fame doesn't open until next year) but Hilton Head to South Charlotte is 4 hours or a little less depending on traffic. The actual race track is north of town, so add 30 minutes if headed north at the time. If you are going during a big race weekend (ie. one of those Coke-A-Cola races) add an extra hour or two to get to the racetrack.

Good to know about Nascar Hall of Fame - maybe we'll head up that way when it is open; I'm sure DS knows about this although he didn't mention it - - he seems to pretty much be interested in visiting Hendrick Motorsports, Dale Earnhardt Inc. etc., I think most of these are just outside of Charlotte area.

Our experiences are it has never taken us an hour and believe me we abide by speed limits; we have been various times of year and drove in during all times of day & early evening and it has taken us maybe 40 minutes from Exit 8 to get onto the island itself; we get on Cross Island Parkway once on island to Disney resort - it is much quicker way to get there because it helps avoid traffic signals, local traffic.

Thanks for the info on drive to Charlotte ! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter