Driving from Chicago: I57 or I 65?

MrsJackSparrow

<font color=dark blue>Secretly has the hots for Ca
We usually take 57 to 24 to 75. What are the benefits of taking 65 to Nashville? Aside from not driving the entire length of Illinois, that is! :lmao:

In my experience (and others too), I-57 tends to be a little less traveled. This would mean less traffic, less congestion, easier to navigate, less people to pass and/or passing you.

Yet somehow, I-65 seems like the preferred route for me; perhaps a little quicker, and overall I am just more comfortable with it. Depending on the time you are leaving and/or returning the traffic along the I-80 / I-94 corridor (NW indiana) can be horrendous.

Enjoy planning and drive safe!

We were actually contemplating taking 57 to 74 at Champaign/Urbana and taking that over to 65 as we are right a 57 onramp. Something about swinging back west on 57 is bothering me this year, although it has never in years past. Just looking for a change of scenery, maybe? :confused3

I've traveled both ways and a third way too....US41/Indiana 63/Pennyrile Parkway through Indiana and Kentucky. All are reallly about the same travel time but it's more for variety.

I have advocated on here before taking the I-65 routing southbound because you get into Indiana pretty quickly and thus it's seems like you're making progress. Taking I-57 southbound means 5 hours after you've departed home you're still in Illinois and thus in your mind you're not getting anywhere. Then northbound you do the I-24/I-57 routing because you arrive into Illinois so quickly in the journey that it almost seems like you're home, even though you're not.

I really don't care for the I-65 routing due to the congestion around Hammond, Indianapolis and Louisville. Louisville to Nashville is also southwest bound, which is backtracking to some extent. Look at the IN63 routing I mentioned. When I've used it I take I-57 to Champaign and then I-74 to the Indiana state line and I think the first exit in Indiana is IN63 which you then take southbound through Terre Haute and Evansville. It's 4-lane divided with some traffic lights in those cities; the Pennyrile Parkway is no longer a toll road and hooks you up to I-65 at Hopkinsville, almost in Nashville. Pennyrile Parkway is Future I-69 and will be signed as such sometime in the next few years.

BobK/Orlando

I-65 is substantially shorter for openers; Chicago to Nashville is approximately 465 miles, which can easily be done in under 9 hours, allowing for a stop for lunch and apotty break.

I just drove from Nashville to Indianapolis two weeks ago, and the scenery was gorgeous, with very few slowdowns for contruction zones.

We can do just outside Chicago (167th & Cicero) 57 to Nashville in about 7.5-8 hours, so taking 65 and getting there in under 9 is not much incentive. We have driven this route SO MANY times as DH has family in Nashville. Last year, we left the house at 4:23 a.m. and got to Tifton, GA at 8:35 p.m./EST. That's with bathroom and meal breaks. We are QUICK!!! Just wondering on scenery, points of interest, a change. Are there any other benefits to taking 65 other than shorter distance? Doesn't seem like the drive time takes that into account.

I live in Champaign, and my sister lives in Birmingham, Alabama. We always take I-57/I-24/I-65 to get to B'Ham. THEN we drive through Alabama to I-10 in the panhandle of Florida. As much as I hate going through Dothan, Alabama, I've been told that going on I-75 via Atlanta is much worse.

I live in Champaign, and my sister lives in Birmingham, Alabama. We always take I-57/I-24/I-65 to get to B'Ham. THEN we drive through Alabama to I-10 in the panhandle of Florida. As much as I hate going through Dothan, Alabama, I've been told that going on I-75 via Atlanta is much worse.

We went that way once, never again, added about 3 hours and 100 miles to our trip, will chance it with I-75

We were actually contemplating taking 57 to 74 at Champaign/Urbana and taking that over to 65 as we are right a 57 onramp. Something about swinging back west on 57 is bothering me this year, although it has never in years past. Just looking for a change of scenery, maybe? :confused3

I would suggest taking 57 to Kankakee, then Rts 17/114 east to Rt 41, then 41/83 south to I-74...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter