Drinking Around the World tips and strategies?

-In Germany, go through the shops on the left (caramel side) at the very back is a little wine shop, they've got super cheap wine flights & cheese plates!

Thank you for this tip!! I found the shop on touring plans and looked at the menu. This is definitely on my list for the wine flights and also the Rose Cider - so refreshing in the heat!

In case anyone else is interested (menu is not on wdwinfo) ...

https://touringplans.com/epcot/dining/weinkeller/menus/all-day-menu#

Edited to add:
Digging further on touring plans - how have I been going to Epcot for decades and not realize that all of the wine shops in Epcot have wine flights??

Last edited:
Here in Wisconsin, we call that amount of alcohol a Tuesday evening. :drinking: I also think your best bet is to split the drink at each country. That way, you still drank at each pavilion and you will remember it. My favorite drinks are the Grand Marnier Orange slush in France, Sake bar in Japan and EVERYTHING in la Cava del Tequila in Mexico. Enjoy!

Alternate each drink with a bottle of water; more if it is hotter.
Since you are going during Flower and Garden, consider using the outdoor kitchen offerings (whose beers are 6 oz pours) to mark off a country.
Know your limit. EPCOT isn't going anywhere. You don't get an award for doing it all in one day.

One tip that we always do for drinking around the world:

Get the wine tour card. You get two smaller pours of wine in France, Italy, and Germany. My wife and I spilt each one in each country. We count it for that country's drink. :)

]
Highly sugary drinks add to 'after effects' in a not beneficial way - and I'm sure you must know the hints about jumping around in alcohol content in your drinks and the rhymes that go with them

Pick 'authentic' drinks for the area - get the Canadian beer in Canada, etc
Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.

American beer is like making love in a canoe. They're both close to water.

How did I do? :D

Serious question. Is this your first time drinking liquor or just first time legally drinking?

Important things pace yoursel! There are 11 countries and no need to rush through them all. For every ounce of alcohol make sure you are putting in an ounce of water.

One thing I've seen people do is go drink in one country, food in another, drink, food, drink, food etc.

Do not let the heat get you. Heat plus alcohol is a disaster if not handled correctly.

Since you are going during Flower and Garden, consider using the outdoor kitchen offerings (whose beers are 6 oz pours) to mark off a country

This! My husband and I drank/snacked around the world when we were there last month and did it exclusively at the festival booths! Make sure to pick up a passport at one of the shops so you can put stickers in the book for each spot you visit!

When we did this, we generally ordered one drink and one snack at each booth and split them. However, some had drink or snack offerings that didn't interest us, so sometimes we doubled up in one or the other. We started around 12 and finished around 7. Of course, we visited all 18 booths...

You may find you're feeling very full or tipsy and may want to take a break for a while! Definitely allow yourself time in between countries to enjoy the live entertainment, shop, or even just people watch.

It is going to be hot next week, so be careful. It is much more dangerous than drinking in your local bar.

The most important advice is to train for it. That is a lot of alcohol for the uninitiated. If you haven't been able to train for the heavy lifting, start early and limit yourself to one drink per hour for as long as you can. This allows your liver to keep up with your alcohol consumption.

Have fun! My wife and I will be in Epcot on Monday. Should be a blast.

ETA - Found my new favorite alcoholic beverage at WDW yesterday - the Kahlua milk shake at Hollywood Studios. Yum

I'm not a drunk, I'm in training for Drinking around the World!

Two of my friends recently did this! I did not complete it, but here's my advice since I was with them and taking notes for when I participate. :)

1. Start early! The showcase opens at 11, so be in line for your first drink at 11. We started in Mexico and there was a line already formed at Cava del Tequila.
2. Pace yourself. Commit to being in World Showcase! We left to do some rides and eat lunch at the front of the park which on one hand helped sober us up a little bit but on the other hand took up time away from hitting countries in the showcase.
3. Share drinks! My friends wanted to drink their own (although my non-beer-drinking friend let me help her with some of her beers) but I wanted to split some drinks with people (some drinks I wanted on my own - others I would have been happy to share, like heavier beers).
4. Drink water and eat snacks.
5. Be prepared to spend a whole lot of money between the drinks and the snacks (and anything else you want to do).
6. Be safe.
7. Be smart.

Our route was as follows (and also here are some drink recommendations)
- Mexico (Cava del Tequila: Wild Passion Fruit Margarita - I got mine without a rim)
- Norway (Carlsberg Beer)
- Left the showcase for rides/lunch
- Canada (My friend got this maple bourbon drink from the stand that was very good).
- UK (I got a snakebite which is a pint of half cider and half lager.)
- France (waited here for a bit to meet Belle. My friend got a mimosa? I think?)
- Morocco (stopped here for a bit for some food. No idea what my friend got.)
- Japan (stopped for some store browsing. I think they got shots?)
- America (friends got sam adams and i got a funnel cake. I had a hard time justifying buying/drinking beers I can go to the brewery to drink. Also felt this way about the Carlsberg in Norway. I could buy a six pack at my local packie.)
- Italy (I think my friend got Prosecco)
- Germany (Schofferhofer! The grapefruit beer! This is delicious.)
- China (I don't know, I left them behind and started to leave for the resort)

My friend posted every drink/stop she made on instagram. If you'd like to see that, let me know and I'll PM you the link.

Start early, take the entire day to finish, eat, and drink lots of water. Also, I would only recommend trying it to new 21-year-olds who have been drinking underage for a while. It's not a good place to discover your tolerance level.

Hmmm - I really don't drink lots at home (a couple on Friday nights), but vacation is a different story. I did my first drink around the world New Years Eve 16/17. Something I always wanted to do but never took the time and figured nye was perfect opportunity since I could take advantage of longer hours. Had my first drink about 10:20 and last about 7:30. I only felt slighty buzzed after the 3rd drink....then it was time for more food. I do have to eat gluten free so this was challenging in some spots - I think Germany's only option was a shot of jaeger.

On my last trip in Apr, a friend and I did our own monorail pub crawl too. Wonderful way to spend a super hot afternoon. Trader Sams was my fave.

Enjoy - like others have said drink tons kf water. I generally try to stay away from eating carbs but when drinking lots, I do think they help. And regardless of how awesome you feel, a big glass of water and some advil before bed are generaly a good thing for me. Have fun!

Hi all! Next week I will be celebrating my 21st birthday at EPCOT, and I fully intend to attempt to drink around the world. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to go about it as far as the order, which drinks to try, etc. Keeping in mind, my dinner ADR is at Chefs de France. Thanks in advance!

Our rule for when we drink around the world is to have a snack at least in every other country, and to drink a least a cup of water for every drink.

As so one who has made it around the world showcase twice in one trip, I feel qualified to give some advice.
  1. Be prepared to fail. It happens to the best of us even on our good days. Like 2014, when I made it around the f&w showcase counter clockwise till a Singapore sling wrecked me. There was a part of me that wanted to push forward. There was another part of me willing to listen to that wife voice in my ear telling me to let this bird fly away, we can catch it another time. And we did.
  2. Get yourself blitzed a few days in a row leading up to the trip. I found this gets the ol metabolism ready for game day.
  3. Sit down often. If you feel motion when sitting ... dial it back.
  4. Say no to ice cream.
  5. Liquor drinks either straight or with simple mixers are best. Light mixers are best. Lots of sugar or heavy fruit juices can turn badly down below.
  6. It's better to drink quickly and set pace with time between them. Drinking slower means as soon as you realize you've had too much, there's still more in the way.
  7. Always have a trusted fun-govenor with you, someone who can tell when you're having too much or not enough fun.

hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE!! cannot stress this enough. Get a water between drinks.

Pace yourself.

And get a Grand Marnier Slushie.

Have fun, and don't forget to hydrate! :D

Best place for a 21st Birthday Ever!!!

So, my husband and I Drink Around the World Showcase on every trip (we also love the Monorail Drink-a-Thon!!); here are my best suggestions, many of which are repeats of the wisdom above:
1. SHARE DRINKS! This truly is the best way to enjoy every country!! And if you hate a drink, toss it. If you have multiple people, then buy one drink first and see if you like it - if you don't, share among the group;
2. As you go through the countries, enjoy the sites so you have time to finish your drinks;
3. Take a photo wearing the hat of the country in every country - fun souvenir!
4. Buy the Drink Around the World Showcase passports online (do a search using the same key terms I listed) - they are personalized, a cool plastic material that makes them indestructible, cheap ($3.99 each), and the company is QUICK. I have always received my order within just over a week with regular shipping, and in 3 days with Priority Shipping and Rush Production. They also have several other fun passports;
5. Each protein snacks, rather than sweet snacks and carbs as you go - must better for the blood sugar (best bets - sausage in Germany, meat/cheese in Italy, meat skewers in Morocco);
6. Have a glass of water with every drink;
7. Try not to get loud and obnoxious - use your DD as a monitor - since it is a family park, people get irritated with obviously wasted folks, but fun, polite drunks are fine!
8. Take the time to stop in LaCava - the line can be long for counter service to-go, but if you go inside, you can often get a seat or the one standing table right away;
9. Be careful of sweet drinks - they increase your chance of puking and hangovers;
10. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter