"Dress-Up" on 4 night- What does this mean?

ltuggle

Earning My Ears
We are going on our first cruise in March '09 (4 night -Wonder) and I notice from the Navigators that the second night seems to be "Dress-Up" night. I have seen people discuss the formal and semi-formal nights for the 7 night cruises, but I am not sure where this would fall. It would be me, DH, DS (10), DS (6), my mom and MIL. No one will be dying to dress up, but we want to do what is correct. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm not sure in this case what "dress up" night means, but last time I was on a cruise it was a formal night.

It is called dress up because it is that rather than formal. On our 4 night cruise there was a wide range of clothing but I only remember seeing the odd tux and evening gown. Most folk were just in nicer clothes I wore a skirt and blouse, DH smart trousers and buttoned shirt. There was a lovely mix of clothing.

See my picture below. That is how we dressed during dress-up night on the Wonder and we were over dressed compared to most.

My son was only a handful of men that had on a tie. And he was probably the only kid that had on a tie. But he loved the attention from our servers for looking so nice :thumbsup2 .

The boys/men will be fine wearing Docker type pants with a botton up top or nice sweater. And the women will be fine with a nice pant suit or a casual dress.

See my picture below. That is how we dressed during dress-up night on the Wonder and were over dressed compared to most.

My son was only a handful of men that had on a tie. And he was probably the only kid that had one a tie. But he loved the attention from our servers for looking so nice :thumbsup2 .

The boys/men will be fine wearing Docker type pants with a botton up top or nice sweater. And the women will be fine with a nice pant suit or a casual dress.

Y'all look great! That is the style I will have my family in as well. I always see it as a good opportunity to get a nice family picture more than anything else.

Dress up night on the Wonder is a step up from casual. But it is not formal night like on the Magic. Its somewhere between casual and format night.

"Sunday best" is a phrase that comes to mind.

For the ladies I've seen skirts and dresses and for the guys I've seen suits and nice pants/jacket combo....some will wear a tie and some won't.

I guess a good way to describe it is what you would wear if you were eating at Palo.

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips. It sounds like the kids will be ok in khaki pants and a nice button up shirt. For the "cruise casual" nights- are we saying they shouldn't wear "nice" shorts?

Thanks!

Honestly, dressy night or formal night can mean many different things to many different people. I've included pictures of how my family dressed. But I saw people in jeans and t.shirts and yes I'm being totally honest, a few in shorts. I personally would feel uncomfortable if I were them, but I'm not and I don't think many people care. All I know is I followed the suggested dress attire for the evening and we had a great time!:)

DisneyFormalNight2.jpg
[/IMG]

DisneyFormalNight1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks- those are great pics. I would love to get a nice family picture- especially with "dressed up" Mickey. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks- those are great pics. I would love to get a nice family picture- especially with "dressed up" Mickey. Thanks for the advice.

Its true - the characters are dressed in their "formal" attire so it makes for great photos.

We used dress up night for our Christmas card photo.

I wish the officers would wear their formal uniforms for dress up night.

Love all the photos. Beautiful families!!! Can't wait for our cruise!!!

Dress up night is Disney playing both sides and trying to make everyone happy. Because "dress up" means something different to different people, and has no formal definition, it makes people who want a formal night able to have their own formal night (only a few bother with that level of dress up on the three and four day cruises), lets other people have a night targeted to a little dressier, and still manages not to alienate the "hey, I WASHED this t-shirt" crowd. Or at least that's the hope.

We are on the same March 9 cruise, I am not wearing a tie or jacket. The kids are going to wear some new clothes but nothing real fancy. I am thinking its like going to a nice family restaurant. This is our first cruise.

Dress up night happens to fall on our 25th wedding anniversary:hug: My hubby is wearing a suit and tie and I am wearing a "fancier" dress but not a gown. Yes, I am planning on pictures!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter