Dream versus Magic in Europe

cwis

DIS Veteran
We were last year on the Magic when she was in Europe, and this year on the Dream.

Here's the list of non-obvious differences so far, thought maybe it was relevant to share:
  • Silverware at Cabana's is no longer found on the tables. You have to ask for them, or pick up some around the bar near the aft of Cabana's. I must say I'm not very fond of this. Makes everything more difficult from “oh I forgot my silverware” to “oops I need one more towel after all”. I'm sure it costs Disney less, maybe they could at the very least store them near the beverage stations.
  • Draft beer selection is way better. The Dream features non-lager at almost every location. As expected you can't find Blue Moon (or any other american-marketed beers such as Dos Equis)
  • Food service in the MDR is excellent. I know I've been reading of some people here reporting bad services but definitely can't complain. Drinks are fills whenever due, the assistant server remembers we drink soda water and only that, the server takes care of our dietary restrictions. I don't like the food on DCL and while I still have not changed my mind, overall, I must say the food is better than I expected.
  • There is a vegan daily special at Cabana's. Not remember seing this on the Magic, maybe it existed but was not advertised? It actually is very good (I'm not 100% vegan but I tend to stay away from meat at lunch so this is perfect.)
  • The “make you own salad” station is gone. There is still a salad station but it is already plated.
  • The hummus is gone in Cabana's, as well as the pesto. Falafel are not an everyday item.
  • Cabana's feature two sizes of mickey plastic glasses, regular and small.
  • Wi-Fi looks like its somehow better. (Not sure how it would compare on the Magic today, as we've sailed the last/first cruises with the previous/new offers.)
  • They still have Mickey's ice cream bar, as well as Uncrustables.
Still onboard, if any of you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Silverwear at Cabana's is no longer found on the tables. You have to ask for them, or pick up some around the bar near the aft of Cabana's. I must say I'm not very fond of this. Makes everything more difficult from “oh I forgot my silverwear” to “oops I need one more towel after all”. I'm sure it costs Disney less, maybe they could at the very least store them near the beverage stations.
This isn't a Dream vs Magic thing. I was on the Magic at the beginning of May and the silverware was being handed out by CMs at the end of each set of stations.

We've been on the Wonder twice since the restart and both cruises the silverware was handed to us vs being on the table. This is the new norm now.

Sailed many times on the Magic in Europe. Mixed feelings about the Dream taking over there, but I sailed the Dream this March and thought she was in great shape. We did have MDR server issues in March on the Dream, so I'm very happy to hear they may be working through that now... or perhaps sailing lower than capacity... I'm pretty sure our issues were all about sailing over capacity for Spring Break. And also very glad to hear food was better than expected.

We will be on the Dream in July! Thanks so much for the details of what you are experiencing! So I have a teen who is not an adventurous eater and would really just prefer to have a grilled cheese sandwich over just about anything else. Is grilled cheese on the room service menu? Or do you think she could request that in the MDR?

Interesting comment on the beer selection. We were on the Dream last week which left from Barcelona and there was barely any beer or wine selection until Thursday or Friday which was the last day on the ship. Only saw one or two people with the Beer mugs and that was Friday. We did the Premium Wine Package for dinner and at least 60%-70% of the wines were unavailable. Really bad. We were told that they were having vendor issues.

We will be on the Dream in July! Thanks so much for the details of what you are experiencing! So I have a teen who is not an adventurous eater and would really just prefer to have a grilled cheese sandwich over just about anything else. Is grilled cheese on the room service menu? Or do you think she could request that in the MDR?

Not the OP, but we did the EBTA on the Dream a couple weeks ago and ordered grilled cheese with tomato soup from room service and it was delicious. The sandwich portion was small, though, so I'd recommend you order a double ;) My guess is they could whip it up in the MDR, too, and I actually think it may have been on the kids menu occasionally?

Here you are (sorry I think the pictures got combined in reverse, read it from right to left):

no Summer 22 on the Magic it was on the tables, so much easier than juggling it with a plate while filling your plate
Exactly. I don't believe this is for hygiene purpose at all, it is a cost-cutting measure like so others. I am quite sure it is faster to wrap the silverware for a few piles scattered around than for every table.

Last edited:
no Summer 22 on the Magic it was on the tables, so much easier than juggling it with a plate while filling your plate

Why would you get silverware before filling your plate? I never did this even at a regular buffet. I much prefer them handing it out. So it's a little irritating if I forget it before getting back to the table 🤷‍♂️

The only difference between the Magic and the Dream going to Europe is that the Magic was smaller and could go to different ports. With the Dream being larger, they won't be able to get into ports like Kirkwall in Scotland, which was such a great port. However, DCL could look at new ports for the larger ship too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter