Dream catcher???

Tink-n-MrIncredible

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is posted on the right board. Does anyone know of a website that shows how to make dream catchers and other items similar? My DD is into this type of stuff and they are not cheap.

How old is your DD? Is she looking for something authentic or just something that looks like a dreamcatcher? If she is very young, you can just bend a twig into a circle and weave some yarn through the middle. It can be in a pattern, but most dreamcatchers are pretty random. Be sure to add a bead somewhere toward the center.

If you want something authentic, I find it best to buy directly from crafts people at a pow wow or on a reservation. I own several dreamcatchers that were all under $15 when purchased this way.

Karen

Patterns arnt that hard to come by. You could pick a pattern she likes in a small keychain kit and buy it (around $5) then transfer the idea to a bigger catcher or buy a bigger catcher kit. My last kit was $20 at micheals. Now I make my own from rosemary braches. Most reservations sell them for a decent price, I know ours has them for around $30 .

http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/pd/howto/dreamcatcher.htm this is a easier one to make.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2177233_fully-beaded-dream-catcher.html is a more complicated one.
http://www.craftkits.com/c-23-dreamcatchers-mandellas.aspx here is a link to a wonderful site to get kits and other native goodies. Also check out the crafts for young people section they have a easy kit there for $7!! Thats a heck of a deal

If you need help making one send me a pm. Ive made about 30 or so in the past few years.

I agree with the last poster.
Get a cheap one at Michaels or Joann's and once you get the idea of how to make it pick up the stuff for your bigger one.
I made these with plastic embroidery hoops. The hoops are sold as two pieces so you can get two dreamcatchers. I like the wooden ones and didn't cover them with leather like most instructions say. I just did the weaving and hung beads and feathers from the hoop. the wood looks nice, but you can paint it if you want a different color.

I agree with the last poster.
Get a cheap one at Michaels or Joann's and once you get the idea of how to make it pick up the stuff for your bigger one.
I made these with plastic embroidery hoops. The hoops are sold as two pieces so you can get two dreamcatchers. I like the wooden ones and didn't cover them with leather like most instructions say. I just did the weaving and hung beads and feathers from the hoop. the wood looks nice, but you can paint it if you want a different color.

You can also go around the hoop with leather or with plastic embrodery floss depending on it you really are "feeling" the creative urge (looping like this takes a long time). A looping suggestion- Double sided stick tape. If you fold it in half and put some along the loop it helps hold the cording tight.

I got my dd a kit for one at Hobby Lobby for around $5.00. She had to put it together herself but it was easy. It was not that big, used a metal hoop and leather with a feather.

It came out a really great and keeps her bad dreams away.:lovestruc

K in SA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter