Dr wants to discuss MRI results in person-do I panic?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
I had an MRI last week of my head (yes, I am definitely claustrophobic, but that's a topic for another thread:scared1: ) . The nurse called today to say that I needed to make an apt to come in and discuss the results with my dr. I explained to her that I just started a new job and don't have many sick days, and if everything was fine, couldn't they just say so over the phone?!? She hemmed and hawed, and wouldn't tell me anything, just said that I should come in. I asked, "like today?" and she said no, not necessarily today.

So is the dr. just yanking my chain and trying to justify the expense of this "fun" test by explaining it to me in person, or should I panic now:confused3 I honestly didn't think anything would come of it, I'm 43, just started a new job, and have been having headaches/tingling/dropping of things/vertigo, but dr. said it could be premenopause, stress, etc.

I have from now until Friday to worry....

Thanks for any opinions...

Terri

My doctor wanted me to do the same thing with my MRI - but I think it is honestly just so they can get another co-pay. I would try not to worry about it to much and just get in whenever you can.

I really hope that's true, but I've known every employee at this small town clinic for years, and I basically used my "teacher voice" on this nurse to enforce how serious it was if I take a half day off only to have her say, "What a nice brain you have". I obviously don't WANT anything to BE wrong, but if I burn a half sick day for no good reason, I'm going to be ticked. (DH thinks we can just use it for our Xmas card picture. "Here's Terri's brain". haha)
Terri

I met with my doctor to discuss MRI results as well.

When I had the test (open MRI), I asked the technician, "I know you can't tell me what you saw, but you wouldn't let me go home if you saw something right?"

He replied - "You can go home......"

When I met with the doctor, we discussed the results (there was nothing there) and she gave me meds for chronic "muscular" headaches. I still choose to take advil and tylenol instead of the meds......

Since it wasn't urgent that you come in immediately I would say something minor is up. Maybe another test needs to be done.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you! It's stressful to wait, I know.:hug:

Oh, good, that leads to my joke about the "open" MRI. When I walked in the room and saw that it was an open one, I relaxed. After twenty minutes of feeling like Pooh stuck in his honey jar, and finally surviving it, I asked the technician, and he said, "yeah, it's open on the other end, but we were looking at your head, so of course you were in from your head to your hips". So much for the joy of an "open" MRI!

Terri

Is there any way to speak to the doctor over the phone just to see what's up?

I have a cyst in my head, and get MRIs or CT scans frequently to check on it. (It's not doing anything, so there it stays.) The first few times I had to go in for the results, even though they and I knew it was nothing. They finally started being willing to give me the results over the phone.

It's most likely nothing, but they probably have a policy of giving results in person.

As long as they didn't suggest you "bring along your DH or another family member" - as they did when my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer - I think you're safe.. :goodvibes

There could be some things he would like to explain - in person - or, he just wants another co-pay.. Take your pick..;)

Try not to panic. It's usually been my experience that doctors want to discuss all major test results in person. :hug:

Now I feel better. You're right See-Ann (sorry, that's how I think of your name, literally!), she didn't say, "Bring a driver", which is a good thing!

I think I'll postpone it until the Monday before Xmas when I have off, and then it REALLY better not be bad news!

Thanks all!
Terri

How well do you know the doctor? I would ask him to give me a call. There is no way I could wait. (My breast cancer results were given to me over the phone by my NP of twenty years, my doc was off that day and they knew I wanted the results asap. Besides, I told them in my best nurse voice I wasn't waiting. ;) ) Good luck, am praying for good results for you. :hug:

As long as they didn't suggest you "bring along your DH or another family member" - as they did when my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer - I think you're safe.. :goodvibes

There could be some things he would like to explain - in person - or, he just wants another co-pay.. Take your pick..;)

oooh, the hypochondriac in me is loving that answer.

I freak out every time I have to have anything measured/biopsied/poked...

I'm not a hypochondriac, but I do have issues with anxiety, and my blood pressure went through the roof at having to have this stupid discussion with the nurse!

Did I mention that if I go in this Friday I get told the results by my actual doctor, but if I wait until the Monday before Xmas I'll get told them by the physician's assistant? Would my dr. leave that kind of duty in the hands of a pa if it was bad? I'm going with the "all is good" mindset for right now (yes, I'm paddling down the banks of "da Nile"!).
Terri

I'm not a hypochondriac, but I do have issues with anxiety, and my blood pressure went through the roof at having to have this stupid discussion with the nurse!

Did I mention that if I go in this Friday I get told the results by my actual doctor, but if I wait until the Monday before Xmas I'll get told them by the physician's assistant? Would my dr. leave that kind of duty in the hands of a pa if it was bad? I'm going with the "all is good" mindset for right now (yes, I'm paddling down the banks of "da Nile"!).
Terri

They typically want the face to face to ensure they're talking to you. Patient confidentiality and all. Since this is a follow up they most likely won't be charging you a co-pay unless your doc is heartless. I wouldn't worry about the prognosis. If it was a dire situation you'd be going in a lot sooner.

Good luck.

I had an oncologist call me and tell me to bring my father to the emergency room (or call an ambulance) immediately once, so I would assume if it's anything dire they would have said "come in today" at a MINIMUM.

But I also wouldn't think you were out of line to call and demand reassurance so that your blood pressure goes down between now and when you can reasonably go in.

I also suffer from vertgio...etc... and had an MRI done, and the nurse called me that afternoon :scared1: and told me to make an appointment for the MRI results, I had to wait because it was a friday. Monday morning I flew down there and had really worked myself up, I just knew it had to be something bad...because the nurse sounded so urgent.

My dh took the morning off to be with me...needless to say the doctor walked in the room and said " everything was fine"..I dropped my dh off at work and went home and napped...geez...

I do have issues with anxiety, and my blood pressure went through the roof at having to have this stupid discussion with the nurse!
I'm trying to understand why is this a stupid discussion? I completely understand why you'd be nervous in a situation like this, but I don't know that either postponing your dates or arguing with the staff are going to help lessen your anxiety much. Could it be possible your projecting your worries (the word panic in your title hinting at it)? I do hope you get it sorted out.

Daisax, I had a similar experience with my DH, he went in to urgent care with "flu symptoms", they took one look at him, and called for an ambulance, even though urgent care was only at the other end of the building complex from the e.r.! Nothing like paying hundreds of dollars for an ambulance trip that never leaves the parking lot! (Yes, he did have a triple bypass three days later, so they were smart to insist...)

I feel better now, thanks y'all....

Terri

PS DL SuperVet, I read your name, and decided you were either a park veteran, or a veterinarian! If the latter, I'd prefer you taking care of me than my doctor, since my dogs get reallllly good care from their vet;)

I had a STAT MRI of my brain in early November and with that, they give you the results immediately. Thankfully everything was fine.

Last month I had something show up on my first mammo and they called me back. When I went back for a needle biopsy and they called me with the results they asked me to come in. Now they also knew I was leaving on vacation so it was different circumstances, so they told me over the phone. (it was negative) But they did tell me that they typically have everyone come back in to discuss the results whether they are negative or positive.

Honestly, because I can't stand waiting and the unknown, I'd keep the Friday appt and just get it over with. But that's just me!

Shelby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter