Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

I think what she means is had she not had the dining plan the meal would have cost $81.

Loving the reviews.....keep them coming.:goodvibes

Ok - that makes more sense, lol. I know when we had the regular dining plan (free dining) last August it still amazed me how much we had on our charge account in tips with just one sit down a day, lol.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention. My mom and I both suffer from low blood sugar and if we get hungry and don't get fed right away.........it's downright ugly. I become someone that I'm not and will snap and yell for no good reason. It's almost like a chemical imbalance when that happens. I can feel it happening and my whole body just feels off, and sort of shaky and fuzzy. Then if anyone says anything to me that upsets me in any way it's as if it sends a rush of adrenalin through my body that just makes any rational part of me dissapear. My mom's husband knows to feed her when she says I need to eat. My husband after 23 years of marriage (well 23 in a few days), still doesn't get it and then doesn't understand what happened afterwards.

I was worried about going vegetarian originally and it's what stopped me for a long time because I thought protein was what kept my blood sugar even. Turns out, I have felt so much better and it happens far less often once I turned vegetarian and now vegan. So either, plant based proteins keep my blood sugar more even or it was the meat type protein that would cause the biggest crash. Strange huh!

Wow - your out of pocket was still $81 on the DDXP? yowza.

I love sushi and I crave seaweed salad and veggie rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha I'm so sorry for confusing everyone! I went ahead and changed it on the review to say WOULD HAVE BEEN, before tip! Yeah, if we paid that above and beyond our Deluxe Dining we really need to seek counseling!

Just so you know - YES, I get super grouchy when I am hungry! If I've been going without food in my belly for too long, no one can stand being near me. People always rush to get me something to eat because it will make them happier once I've been fed. I feel so bad for everyone around me when I'm hungry.

Wow, that was quite an expensive meal. I love sushi, and I love seaweed salad. I know a vegan married couple that just dined at Tokyo Dining and they loved it, though I think they said the same thing about the tempura! I love seaweed salad too...mmm...your dinner looked so delicious.

I never know if it's because I love to eat so much that I'm upset I've missed an opportunity, or if there's something a bit more chemical going on! Probably a little bit of both, but either way...no one likes me either when I have an empty stomach!

Really enjoying your reviews. We really like Tokyo Dining, but DH normally just orders the veggie tempura on the normal menu as I never realised they had a seperate vegetarian menu. Did you just ask for it and how many options did it have on it?

When the hostess noted that I had Allergies she had the manager come to speak with me. The manager gave me the menu, but its available to everyone if you just ask your server. There was a stack of them behind the hostess stand. There wasn't a lot to the menu, maybe two apps and three entrees to choose from, but what they offered was fantastic!

I think what she means is had she not had the dining plan the meal would have cost $81.

Loving the reviews.....keep them coming.:goodvibes

Thanks for clearing it up for me!! I'm glad you're liking the reviews!

Loving the reviews so far. It's interesting to see what Disney can come up with when you have food restrictions. Keep em' coming!

~Beka~

Thanks! Yeah, Disney does an amazing job! I've had a hard time since coming back to Nashville...they just don't understand why they need to accommodate me! haha :goodvibes

Ok - that makes more sense, lol. I know when we had the regular dining plan (free dining) last August it still amazed me how much we had on our charge account in tips with just one sit down a day, lol.

Yeah, we noticed that too but had come prepared that we would be spending a certain amount for tips. Even with that though, after we got home and added everything up (just for the fun of it) we still saved hundreds by doing the Deluxe plan! I wouldn't do anything but that from now on!

I was worried about going vegetarian originally and it's what stopped me for a long time because I thought protein was what kept my blood sugar even. Turns out, I have felt so much better and it happens far less often once I turned vegetarian and now vegan. So either, plant based proteins keep my blood sugar more even or it was the meat type protein that would cause the biggest crash. Strange huh!

For me, I think it's that I've eaten so many more fibrous foods since going Vegan. I'm full for a longer period of time, so I just don't have to worry and think about it as much. What happened this particular day is that I hadn't eaten anything, and the bites I did eat were just simple sugars!

I was actually shocked when I started doing research on a plant based diet - you don't have to have near the amount of protein my former fitness trainer was trying to get me to eat! I'm talking...80 grams a day, and I weight less than 100 pounds! That's just overkill. I was happy to learn I didn't have to stuff my face with that many grams of beans and leafy greens!

Hey Amanda! I just found your dining review and am loving it so far!

I would like to become a vegetarian eventually so it's interesting to read dining reviews of vegetarians and vegans to see what options there are when you dine out in the real world :-)

Hey Amanda! I just found your dining review and am loving it so far!

I would like to become a vegetarian eventually so it's interesting to read dining reviews of vegetarians and vegans to see what options there are when you dine out in the real world :-)

Your sig is very cute! I just wanted to tell you that!

Not to confuse anyone anymore, but i'm just curious...

Did you have to pay for the appetizers? We are doing Deluxe Dining for the first time in August and I wasn't sure if some places included them or how it works.

:confused3

The Mad Hatter here with his take on the Orient and our Tokyo extravaganza! After we took a stroll in Viking country (and we became convinced that Mandi's dad must be from Viking Decent), I unbraided my beautiful long blond locks and took my Viking hat off to trade it in for a lovely kimono and some "domo arigato Mr. Roboto."

Tokyo Dinning really did a good job making you feel like you were in Japan. We tend to be more on the sushi side, but no fear, if you are a Hibachi eating kinda of a guy or girl, they have a whole other section just for it! I would highly recommend the Ultimate Unagi as an appetizer, it was huge and delicious! As Mandi said, I don't really understand why they don't have a system where you can pick 2 or 3 rolls for your Disney Dinning Plan. It didn't make sense because the cost would have been about the same. Maybe something to suggest. Nonetheless my sushi combination (mostly Nigiri) was very good. The fish was really fresh and by the time the soft serve came I was full to the gills!

I would recommend it without a doubt. It is a little expensive, but don't forget, we are getting 2 drinks, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts and we tend to get the more expensive items. Just to let you know! Thanks for reading these reviews! You are making my wife a happy camper with all the comments and allowing her to find an avenue in expressing her love of Disney with others! And who new that she is converting me to a Disney Extremist now as well!!!! So thanks for your participation!

Not to confuse anyone anymore, but i'm just curious...

Did you have to pay for the appetizers? We are doing Deluxe Dining for the first time in August and I wasn't sure if some places included them or how it works.

:confused3

I think the hatter can take this one as I happen to come upon you question! NOPE the deluxe dinning plan includes 2 Non-Alcoholic Drinks (free refills too), 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. This is standard everywhere and for all meals (not for breakfast naturally, but you get all your fill for breakfast). The only out of pocket that we spent were for alcoholic drinks at dinner and the tip. In fact we didn't spend a dime for food the entire trip. And coming from a quazi over the top organizer who tends to stress out a bit when he constantly has to fork over money it was an absolute blessing being able to simply give them our room key and receive a bill for zero dollars and just have to pay a tip!

Hope this answers your question and I hope I did my wife justice in replying to posts! (I'm kinda new at this!)

Yours truly,
The Hatter Myself

I think the hatter can take this one as I happen to come upon you question! NOPE the deluxe dinning plan includes 2 Non-Alcoholic Drinks (free refills too), 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. This is standard everywhere and for all meals (not for breakfast naturally, but you get all your fill for breakfast). The only out of pocket that we spent were for alcoholic drinks at dinner and the tip. In fact we didn't spend a dime for food the entire trip. And coming from a quazi over the top organizer who tends to stress out a bit when he constantly has to fork over money it was an absolute blessing being able to simply give them our room key and receive a bill for zero dollars and just have to pay a tip!

Hope this answers your question and I hope I did my wife justice in replying to posts! (I'm kinda new at this!)

Yours truly,
The Hatter Myself

Awesome! Thank you very much! Glad to find these things out before I use my DDP and not know I can order the appetizer! :cool1:

Awesome! Thank you very much! Glad to find these things out before I use my DDP and not know I can order the appetizer! :cool1:

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but wanted to clarify that you only are entitled to an appetizer if you're using the Deluxe Dining Plan and not the "regular" one.

Or…The Tale of a Very UN-Disney Dinner

I had been very excited to try Marrakesh, located in the back of the Moroccan pavilion in Epcot. I was looking forward to spicy foods, Hummus, and Falafel. I booked this very early on, and it was one of the few reservations that didn’t get modified in some way through the planning process!

We wanted to dress nicely and try to find a PhotoPass person somewhere that evening – we were in luck!

morocco.jpg

We were seated immediately when we arrived. My first impression was that it was nicely themed…very open inside, dim lighting, and the band was already playing. We were seated with a great view of them (and later of the belly dancer). The downside to the restaurant was the noise volume. It was really loud for it to look so pretty! Also, we were seated right in between two other tables, and pretty much were involved in each other’s business the entire time.

Our waiter came and immediately asked if we were ready to order. We had only sat down moments before and hadn’t even opened the menu yet. I said we would like to start with some drinks, but would need to look at the menu first. A few moments later, he came back, took our drink order, and again asked if we knew what we wanted to order. I had to remind him that I was Vegan (he had already noted this when he took our table ticket), and he said he would have to go talk to the chef to see if they would be able to accommodate me that evening or not. Really…he said that.

He came back about five minutes later, saying they could do the sampler appetizer for me with Falafel and Hummus. I asked about the fryer oil…having heard they cooked everything together. He came back after discussing this with the chef – apparently not only was it cooked in the same oil, but it contained eggs. I was happy to know the chef was paying that much attention the first time!

IMG_1723.jpg

The waiter had brought bread out with him upon his return, but he told me I could not have it. I loved the irony that he brought out packets of butter, as well! (Isn’t the presentation very Moroccan? Who knew Borden was a foreign brand?!) Anyway, he told me that I would be able to only have the hummus as an appetizer, but the Pita was no good for me as it contained Dairy. At this point, I just looked at him and asked what he expected me to do with the hummus. It was really getting ridiculous, because I know that at Tangerine Café, they have options for people with allergies and special diets. Again, he went to speak with the chef.

IMG_1721.jpg

And again, he came back, finally with our drinks this time. I had ordered the Tangier Breeze, which was very good, and Jeremy had the Casa Beer, also delightful.

Our waiter informed me that the chef said they had a pita that was egg/dairy free, but that I was not allowed to have it, since it came from a factory that processed both of those ingredients. That doesn’t really bother me, and definitely doesn’t make me physically sick, so I told him I would just take that. And he said…NO. The chef would not allow me to have it, because the packaging specifically said “This is Not Vegan.” I promise…he told me this!

At this point, Jeremy asked me if I wanted to leave. He was as upset as I was and hated that I couldn’t have much to eat. I almost left when he suggested it, but realized we would have over an hour wait anywhere else, and I was starving. I decided to stay and tough it out.

The waiter had determined that I could have the Moroccan Salad as an appetizer. Jeremy, ever patient on the other end of the table, ordered the Beef Rolls.

IMG_1724.jpg

The Moroccan Salad was actually delicious. (None of the pictures turned out well...I'm sorry!). He had allowed me to get the two person appetizer, even though this wasn’t on the Deluxe Dining Plan for just one person (Jeremy and I could have shared, however). According to the menu, the salad contained Green pepper, tomato, marinated olives, carrots, potatoes and cucumber salad. It was very flavorful, spicy and I loved the smaller samples of different items.

IMG_1725.jpg

Jeremy’s Beef Rolls were another story. He said they were ok, but they contained cinnamon, sugar and honey along with the beef. More than anything, I think it was just a very weird combination.

We ordered our entrees next, and I decided to keep the huge salad appetizer for backup…just in case.

IMG_1731.jpg

Jeremy ordered the Beef Kebabs, served with Veggies and Hummus. He said there was nothing Moroccan about this dish; nothing out of the ordinary or different than any other mediocre Kebabs he’s had in the past. (He let me have his hummus!)

IMG_1729.jpg

I had the Seven Vegetable Couscous. The waiter went to great lengths to tell me numerous times that the chef had to make a separate dish for me, because they only had one huge batch they serve to everyone else. (Glad the food’s fresh for everyone else…hmmm) First, let me say there were only four vegetables on this plate. Not only that, but I couldn’t even tell you what those four were. The entire dish tasted the same and had the same texture. It tasted like….NOTHING. Unless I’m sick with a stopped up nose, I’ve never eaten anything that literally had zero flavor. I could have been eating textured air and it would have had the same effect. Each vegetable also was the texture of the couscous; very mushy.

IMG_1733.jpg

For Dessert, Jeremy got the Bastilla, which was a pastry topped with cream and almonds. He mentioned that it mostly tasted like room temperature whip cream – not a fan.

IMG_1736.jpg

I was only able to get the Fruit Plate, which I welcomed at this point. However, it only contained filler fruits…mostly Honeydew, Cantaloupe, and Apples. I'm sorry for the horrible pictures...the lighting was terrible for photos!

Our Out of Pocket total would have been 107.14, which was one of the most expensive meals of our trip. I really felt like we wasted a meal credit this night, and would have gladly just eaten at a quick service if it meant getting something delicious with better service! We will not be back – I even thought about writing Disney about how terrible this meal was.

I’m sorry to have been so negative about this dining experience! I tried to see the good points, but there just weren’t many. The belly dancer however, was fantastic!

Wonderful reviews!! When I read that the most recent review was going to be for Restaurant Marrakesh, I was mentally shouting "NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!"

;)

My husband and I pretty much had the exact same experience. A vegan and an Omnivore trying to get a decent meal and mostly getting attitude and irritation from the staff.

NOT a very Disney experience!

The only difference being that we walked out after the waiter told me I should have a "less annoying diet"...

that's exactly what he said.

I actually laugh about it now. I was so shocked at what he said that I asked him to repeat himself.

which he did.

:lmao:

I'm sorry you wasted dining credits on such an unsatisfying meal!!

can't wait to read more!!

popcorn::

Restaurant Marakesh SHOULD be one of the most vegan friendly restaurants in WDW, but unfortunately I've heard it's not quite a few times. I really find it hard to believe that they would use egg in the falafel when the one in the Tangeriene cafe didn't. UGGH!! Not sure if they were just lazy to cook in a seperate fryer, or if they have a dumb way of making them. They are so close to each other........I'm more inclinded to think they are exactly the same...........hmmm

CampbellScot - I can't believe he said that to you...........It's not like vegan is that difficult of a diet to accomodate, or at least it shouldn't be. I would have left too.

Wonderful reviews!! When I read that the most recent review was going to be for Restaurant Marrakesh, I was mentally shouting "NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!"

;)

My husband and I pretty much had the exact same experience. A vegan and an Omnivore trying to get a decent meal and mostly getting attitude and irritation from the staff.

The only difference being that we walked out after the waiter told me I should have a "less annoying diet"...

I actually laugh about it now. I was so shocked at what he said that I asked him to repeat himself.

which he did.

I absolutely cannot believe he said that to you - that's worse than the response I got by far! Your feedback prompted me to contact Special Diets with some feedback of my own. I hope they will take this into consideration...Glad you're enjoying the reviews, though!

Restaurant Marakesh SHOULD be one of the most vegan friendly restaurants in WDW, but unfortunately I've heard it's not quite a few times. I really find it hard to believe that they would use egg in the falafel when the one in the Tangeriene cafe didn't. UGGH!! Not sure if they were just lazy to cook in a seperate fryer, or if they have a dumb way of making them. They are so close to each other........I'm more inclinded to think they are exactly the same...........hmmm

CampbellScot - I can't believe he said that to you...........It's not like vegan is that difficult of a diet to accomodate, or at least it shouldn't be. I would have left too.

I actually mentioned to the waiter that I knew for a fact that Tangerine Cafe was accommodating. He really had no response. I don't believe he really cared too much. I'm hoping my email to Special Diets will yield some results in the future...but you're absolutely right; Moroccan food should be VERY Vegan friendly!

Great reviews! I'm not a vegan, but I have a gluten intolerance, and it's nice to read other peoples' stories about traveling to Disney with special dietary needs.

The picture of Ener-G omelet will haunt my dreams forever.

Now I might have to warn you that the Mad Hatter here might just get a little Mad with his review of Marrakesh. I've had the opportunity to live for a couple months in Amsterdam the home to the best Moroccan food that I've tried; this place couldn't have beaten the fake places in Nashville that serve shwarma with a side of plastic cheese fries...I would have rather gone for the plastic I will have to tell you. But really, as I look back on it everything pinned on the attitude and the cloud of impatience and unwillingness to help out those that just might have a different eating lifestyle. We are not asking them to go and kill the fatted calf because their selection of beef is not to our high palate! We are asking a Middle Eastern restaurant who INVENTED the vegetarian meal to make something vegetarian! That's it!

My lovely wife says that I was the patient one...she exaggerates on this one. I had several moments that if children weren't present I would have some choice remarks. But here is the Hatter's advice...if you really want to experience Moroccan food, get a quick service meal from the Tangerine Cafe...you will have a lot more choices and a more pleasurable experience, then get your wife to shake her hips a little and dance around and you already have had a lot better experience than going to Marrakesh!

I will second my wife, I am not much of a cynic and don't enjoy bashing a restaurant, but Disney needs to know about the very un-Disney experience that you get there. But do not be afraid my fellow Disneyians, better reviews are just on the horizon ahead!

Yours 10/6 truly,
The Hatter that is Mad

;)

which he did.

I had to read that 3 times before it sank in. How incredibly rude.

Great reviews! I'm not a vegan, but I have a gluten intolerance, and it's nice to read other peoples' stories about traveling to Disney with special dietary needs.

The picture of Ener-G omelet will haunt my dreams forever.

They had a TON of Gluten free snacks and treats that I saw while we were there - You'll definitely be taken care of!

As far as that Omelette goes...I'm with you!!

Campbell Scott - That is so incredibly rude and uncalled for by the cast member, I would have asked for the manager and complained. You don't go to dinner at Disney World to be given a snarky and personal insult.

I'm sorry your dining experience at Marakesh was so bad. Thanks for steering us away from this one. We liked the vegetable platter over at Tangierine Cafe, and this ever happened to us while dining in the world showcase I would have probably left and gone and got a vegetable plate instead! Really, I get so upset when I hear other vegans have such a tough time just finding sustenance at what is supposed to be a pretty nice restaurant.

Great reviews once again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter