Donald's in the kitchen again, mixing up some Festive Treats!

The cake is not REALLY rum-ish. The whole cake only has 3/4 cup and TBH I never use all of the glaze.

If you have to remove one of the two, I would definitely keep the one that is in the cake mix and skip the one in the glaze.
My family members must go heavy on the rum because I swear you could set it ablaze with a match. I will try with rum in the cake and not in the glaze and see if that passes my picky eaters. Thank you.

I have started making a Hawaiian shortbread that mimics these cookies you can get in Hawaii and the recipe is pretty close to the original. It is a shortbread but also has macadamia nuts in it. You can make it with ground almonds too. It is a lot heavier than a regular shortbread but we love them because we get them when we go to Hawaii.
Here is the recipe
https://www.crazyforcrust.com/macadamia-chocolate-chip-shortbread-cookies/

I'm getting so hungry just reading this thread.

@Aladora If I don't want the rum cake to be too strong which one of the two rums should I not add. The one in the mix or the one after the cake is baked.
My suggestion would be to use the darkest rum you can find. The light/white rum tastes very strong and chemical like. The dark, aged stuff is much smoother. Alternatively, try spiced rum....it tastes a bit vanilla-ish.

My suggestion would be to use the darkest rum you can find. The light/white rum tastes very strong and chemical like. The dark, aged stuff is much smoother. Alternatively, try spiced rum....it tastes a bit vanilla-ish.

Just be aware that if you use dark rum, it will colour the cake a bit! I tend to use good (but not, y'know, GREAT) quality light rum for the cake.

I LOVE BUNDT CAKES

Just bought my first Bundt pan. Kids and I are making this for Halloween or attempting I should say

I will share some recipes (and photos!) later, but for now I just wanted to say that nordic ware pans are not too much more than the one you posted, but the quality is miles above.

This is the best gingerbread cookie recipe that I've ever tried. I prefer soft gingerbread - the recipe makes great soft cookies, although if you roll it thinner and cook it a bit longer, you can get a crunchy cookie.

This is very similar to the gingersnap cookie recipe I have. I always get asked for the recipe when I have them on a tray of goodies that I give out. They are soft, chewy and delicious! Unless you are m y husband who thinks they are the grossest cookies on earth and doesn't understand why I would even waste my time making them :rotfl:

This was a recipe I was going to share...but I will dig into my recipe box and see what else I could share that my family loves.

I do have an amazing recipe for homemade buttertarts! The dough for the piecrust is not like any other dough recipe I have used or tried. It is light, flaky and delicious with all the sugary goodness of a buttertart - minus the raisins...as I don't like raisins. I view raisins the same way my husband view gingersnaps lol! If anyone is interested in that recipe!

I'm getting so hungry just reading this thread.

@Aladora If I don't want the rum cake to be too strong which one of the two rums should I not add. The one in the mix or the one after the cake is baked.

Both are necessary in my opinion. Rum cake is absolutely delicious - and the rum won't be overpowering - but you need both.

okay bundt cakes:

the nice thing about them is it takes very little to make them look special! if you want an icing like the photo, it needs to be suuuuper thick or it’ll drip too much. they also look really nice with a simple dusting of icing sugar. festive sprinkles are fun too :) (this photo was a pumpkin cream cheese cake for our little thanksgiving supper this year)

last christmas, we made a grinch feast for dinner. our roast beast (prime rib roast) and who hash were nice, but the star was definitely the who pudding, a pistachio pudding bundt cake. i feel like some of you would really like it!

general tips: grease your pan well and make sure to give it a couple knocks to get rid of big air bubbles.

epic hack for getting a bundt pan greased well - or any shaped pan for that matter,
melt butter/ margarine/ shortening whatever you use, use a pastry brush, coat the pan completely and then pop it into the freezer to set the fat. Brush more melted fat and then toss in some flour, shake the pan to evenly spread the flour, flip it over and bang it on the counter leaving just a fine dusting.

later I'll share a recipe for something dubbed "magic pan release "

Patience is key with the rum cake when doing the drizzle. Poke little holes all around the cake and slowly pour in some rum drizzle. Then let it sit a bit and pour in some more, etc. Let it get in there good.

Do you know of someone that has a kid or two or three....??????
They will thank you for this..................................
Make up a cookie decorating kit for them and drop it off at their house.

Make a DIY decorating kit
If you know the recipient and their kiddos love to decorate, don’t gift completed cookies. Instead, give them a cute cookie decorating kit. Deliver them along with some cute sprinkles, candies and a tub of frosting for a fun holiday activity.

Hugs
Mel

Don't know how I missed this thread but its found now! My grandson has a peanut allergy and finding good recipes without peanut butter is sometimes hard. Looking forward to see what is posted here. Nothing as good as a tried and true sweet.

Hershey KISS Cookies without Peanut butter

Kiss Cookies Recipe (without Peanut Butter)
Prep Time
30 mins
Cook Time
10 mins
Total Time
40 mins

For a nut-free Hershey Kiss Cookies recipe without peanut butter, follow this easy recipe.
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: nut-free
Keyword: chocolate, cookies, dessert
Servings: 15
Calories: 120 kcal
Ingredients
  • 1 stick (same as 1/2 cup softened butter)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt I prefer coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 35 Hershey's Kisses unwrapped
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar optional - for rolling
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat with stand mixer or a hand mixer (softened but not melted) butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended.
  3. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix.
  4. Slowly blend the dry ingredients and the milk into the wet mixture.
  5. Shape into 1 inch balls.
  6. Optional - Roll each ball in a bowl of powdered sugar.
  7. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  8. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the cookies are just slightly browned.
  9. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
  10. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
  11. Move cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
  12. Makes around 35 cookies.
You could also try the Hershey HUGS
1604410986126.png1604412101626.png

I've made these for school and they turned out great.
Hugs Mel

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter