DON"T let this happen to your family!!

mickey family

Mouseketeer
I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenin. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survivied, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definately be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.

I can not even imagine how scary that was for you and your husband. I am so happy to hear your little guy is okay. Thanks for he warning!

Good advice for any outdoor areas really. Cotton mouth water moccasins such as the one that most likely bit your son can be found as far north as Virginia, but there are many breeds of poisonous snakes that can be found in all sorts of climates. CroFab anti-venom can almost always cure even the most severe cases if administered in time luckily. Glad your son is safe.

I forgot to mention that the antivenin alone cost over $139, 000.00!!!!

First and most importatly, I am glad that your son is safe.

But what a way to start a vacation.:sad2: I sure hope that your insurance covered it. It is amazing how much medical can cost these days. Did Disney do anything to help you out?

Oh my goodness. I am glad to hear that your son is okay after that incident and didn't lose a limb. How scary! :littleangel:

I am sorry to ask, but I am curious... Who pays for the treatment if this happens--I would imagine something like this is covered by insurance, right? I would feel bad if this happened to an uninsured family.

OMG your post about brought me to tears! All I could imagine is that happening to my daughter. Thank you so much for the warning, and I hope he's ok!!!

So sorry to hear that! We were at CBR the last of May, too. I do hope that your son is better. Florida is famous for snakes; people have to be so careful. Thanks for the reminder. Are you taking another vacation?

That is terrible. I'm glad to hear that your son is doing better. Thank you so much for letting us know out here and I will pass it on to my family to be extra safe.

Your story sent shivers up my spine. Thank goodness your son is ok. But, what a trauma for all of you. I know the happy ending is that he completely recovered but an even happier ending would be for Disney to reschedule your vacations with some VERY nice upgrades!

Oh my goodness! What a terrifying experience for everyone involved!! So glad to hear that your little boy is doing better! Thanks for posting this warning to all people visiting the FL area! Some people think that just because you are on vacation, that everything is safe. I'm sure that you have helped so many people by posting this. I'm so sorry that this happened to your family!!!!

I am so glad your little one Is safe,there Is truley a Angel looking out for him.You know I always start out looking out for my DS he Is 16yo but still I look out for him like he was 6yo, knowing there snakes all around,I cant Imagine my son going through that.But I always at some point let my guard down:sad2:,and I always kick my self when I read things like this because thats when Its going to happen when we least expect It.Thank you for posting this It gives us all something to think about.

I too am glad he recovered and thank you so much for the warning. I wouldn't expect to be bitten by a snake at Disney so I'm glad you came forward to make people aware of the situation.

:scared1: DUDE, $140,000 FOR AN ANTI-VENOM?!?!?! :scared1:

What the heck is anti-venom made out of, magical unicorn umbilical cord blood? The snake bite part is absolutely horrible, terrifying...but that "they" would charge as much as we paid for our first home to help your kid...talk about over a barrel. That is absolutely insane. :mad:

Meanwhile, I am so glad to hear your son is okay - what a crack in the bubble of Disney Magic! I hope you guys can get in another vacation where everything is super extra magical...and like everyone else, I can't help but be curious if WDW had anything to say to you about this. Yowza!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter