Dollywood?? Anyone else not like it?

I had no idea Dollywood was co owned by the same group that owns SDC in Branson until this comment! Tho I had always heard they had a similar vibe. We are just a couple hrs away from branson so we do SDC frequently. We have a fall break this year, the weekend of Halloween, and I'm considering a trip to Dollywood then.
I have no clue if they are now.
Dolly bought the park when it was Silver Dollar City. Which was a VERY long time ago.
I have no idea if the owners from then have anything to do with it now.
I thought Dolly bought it lock stock and barrel but honestly, I don't follow it close enough, or really care enough, to know one way or another.

We have been AP holders there for longer than we have at WDW. We love Dollywood, the shows, the music, the mountains. We especially enjoy their Christmas themed shows.

It’s more than a 12 hour drive for us, now that we’re in NJ, but we go!

I went years ago at Christmas with my mother and sisters. We enjoyed the Christmas music in the shows. We felt they had talented singers. The lights at night were pretty. Some areas/acts had too much of a proselytizing vibe for me. We were in the area on business so I think we just went a couple times in the evenings.

We just spent 2 days at Dollywood. We are Disney Lovers and been many times. Disney World is our fave; we have also been to Disneyland and loved it as well. Well….Dollywood left a lot to be desired. It was clean and pretty. Good if you like roller coasters (my husband rode them alone, he did say they were good). Food was good. We did two shows and just walked away wondering what was wrong with us. Everyone else in the audience seemed to enjoy it, we did not. Not at all. Does anyone else feel the same? There was no magic, no nostalgia, each day we left early and only spent about 4 hrs each day. I don’t want to offend anyone that likes it, it had good points of course. It just wasn’t for us.
There are many that don't like it. It's not for everyone. If you're not into the Hillbilly theme, it's probably not going to be the park for you. Unless you're out to get a coaster credit on the coasters, I wouldn't suggest you fly all the way from California for example to Knoxville just to go to Dollywood. It's just not a destination park to be honest. But if you're passing through or nearby anyway or within decent driving range for sure. And there are a lot of people within driving range. I'd suggest they Check it out. A lot of my favorite rides at Dollywood over the years are gone. And it seems like it's mostly intermediate type rides that got the axe and there are more kiddie only rides and piss your pants coasters now rather than rides for the whole family. The food is fine. It's mostly BBQ and Kountry Kookin plus the usual pizza, hamburgers, and hot dogs. There are no restaurants there on par with some of Disney's better ones. But all in all the food is good at a good price (considering it's an amusement park.) If you couldn't find anything you liked to eat, you weren't trying. We also love splash country. Nice water park. The food there, however, is awful. Night and day difference between Dollywood and Splash Country on food. I can't imagine why one park is on point for what they want and the other is so wrong. And it has been like that for years.

I have no clue if they are now.
Dolly bought the park when it was Silver Dollar City. Which was a VERY long time ago.
I have no idea if the owners from then have anything to do with it now.
I thought Dolly bought it lock stock and barrel but honestly, I don't follow it close enough, or really care enough, to know one way or another.
Dolly never owned it lock stock and barrel. She co-owns it with Herschend Family Entertainment who also owns Silver Dollar City in Branson. Rest assured, however, that the creative force behind Dollywood over the years was in fact Dolly. The place was absolute trash before she came in. She cleaned it up, turned it into a legit park, and they've since added splash country and are adding some resorts too.

We’ve been a couple times - it is close to atlanta. My boys loved the coasters. The cinnamon bread was good. We liked the water coaster at the water park. We rented a suite at dreammore and it was nice. That was about it.

I just don’t like that whole area. Just screams tourist trap. Has a Panama City beach vibe. Probably will never go back.

We live in Knoxville, and I am the odd man out around here--I don't like Dollywood or Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. At all. It's just not my jam. Pretty much everyone we know, including our adult daughter and her family, have season passes! Now, I love Dolly. She is an amazing human with a heart for philanthropy, and her Imagination Library is legendary. I think I am just a Disney person, and that's okay with me.
Agree. We live in Knoxville as well. I haven’t been in Gatlinburg in over 5 years. Last went to Dollywood 3 years ago. . We have APs to Disney and not Dollywood. The Pumpkin festival is great and Christmas is beautiful, but it’s a day park for us. The roller coasters are more intense for coaster fans. But it feels a bit hokey to me—it’s playing on the stereotypical Southern hillbilly. Everyone in overalls, doing the “y’all come get you some of that country cookin from Granny” stick.

However, I am a huge Dolly fan for her work in charitable organizations and opinions on various causes. Imagination Library is amazing.

We’ve been a couple times - it is close to atlanta. My boys loved the coasters. The cinnamon bread was good. We liked the water coaster at the water park. We rented a suite at dreammore and it was nice. That was about it.

I just don’t like that whole area. Just screams tourist trap. Has a Panama City beach vibe. Probably will never go back.
I have always considered it Myrtle Beach in the mountains :)

I’ve always wanted to visit Dollywood and the area in general. I figured it would be tacky and tourist-trappy, and the Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach comments make me even more eager to go. I love occasional small doses of schlock, seedy, cheap (I don’t mean inexpensive), sleazy, etc.

I also want to plan a trip there. My late mom was a huge Dolly fan, so I grew up with her music, and DH is a big coaster fan. I have nothing against smaller parks that "aren't Disney" and want to make it part of a larger trip - enjoying the mountains, etc. as well.

Pigeon Forge/Dollywood is like a lot of places - tourist trap meets nature. Someone mentioned Myrtle Beach, SC - Niagara Falls in Canada is another place just like it. Heck, I'd put Las Vegas in that category, too.

I like those kinds of places b/c my kids get some new nature experiences while enjoying some "tourist trap" activities.

Unlike the previous places I mentioned, TN's shows make patriotism and generic Christian faith a definite part of the shows/attractions in the area. That can be off-putting, lame, or really welcome, depending.

First time I was there, I thought I'd stepped back into a 1950's tv show. That said, I went back 2 years later and took my mom b/c I knew she'd love it, and she did (and it was her last vacation).

I have not been back, but that's only b/c I have a lot of places on my list and Covid happened, so now I'm behind:). It's a good location for a driving vacation, but if you have to fly and want to see mountains or theme parks, there are probably better places.

Last edited:
Pigeon Forge/Dollywood is like a lot of places - tourist trap meets nature. Someone mentioned Myrtle Beach, SC - Niagara Falls in Canada is another place just like it. Heck, I'd put Las Vegas in that category, too.

I like those kinds of places b/c my kids get some new nature experiences while enjoying some "tourist trap" activities.

Unlike the previous places I mentioned, TN's shows make patriotism and generic Christian faith a definite part of the shows/attractions in the area. That can be off-putting, lame, or really welcome, depending.

First time I was there, I thought I'd stepped back into a 1950's tv show. That said, I went back 2 years later and took my mom b/c I knew she'd love it, and she did (and it was her last vacation).

I have not been back, but that's only b/c I have a lot of places on my list and Covid happened, so now I'm behind:). It's a good location for a driving vacation, but if you have to fly and want to see mountains or theme parks, there are probably better places.
We just had a big family reunion in Gatlinburg last month. One of the cousins now lives about an hour from Niagara Falls, in the US side. She used the Canada side to compare to Pigeon Forge. Said they were almost identical. Not Gatlinburg, the've controlled the growth there so it hasn't gone quite so redneck chaos that Pigeon Forge has. To think, when I was a kid, there was NOTHING in Pigeon Forge at all.

Dollywood is park of the Herschend family parks - including Silver Dollar City. Dolly has lent her name to it. I think the park is great - it's not overwhelming in size - and they add something nearly every year. The Park is known for being great to their team members - buit J1 housing this year with plans for more, employs many Rv'er's

I don't care for the park food for the most part, but the rides and festivals are great!

We just had a big family reunion in Gatlinburg last month. One of the cousins now lives about an hour from Niagara Falls, in the US side. She used the Canada side to compare to Pigeon Forge. Said they were almost identical. Not Gatlinburg, the've controlled the growth there so it hasn't gone quite so redneck chaos that Pigeon Forge has. To think, when I was a kid, there was NOTHING in Pigeon Forge at all.
Yes, Gatlinburg has done a better job of meshing the town with nature. Pigeon Forge is kind of like going to the county fair—not that there is anything wrong with agood county fair. I also remember when Pigeon Forge was 2 inner theater and an old water park!

Yes, Gatlinburg has done a better job of meshing the town with nature. Pigeon Forge is kind of like going to the county fair—not that there is anything wrong with agood county fair. I also remember when Pigeon Forge was 2 inner theater and an old water park!
That water park was my first time ever to use a wave pool. I’ll never forget being in the deep end the first time they turned on the waves

I liked it! The shows there are really great, and the park feels cozy to me, especially in the fall. The only thing I didn't like is that they aren't as mindful about customers of size as Disney. It was the one time I had to do the 'walk of shame' off a ride because there was no test vehicle and the restraint wouldn't close.
They do have a number of test vehicles for rides, so I have been lucky in that I have managed to find out early before I had to do the walk. But as Princesca points out, they don't have them for all rides.

I liked it! The shows there are really great, and the park feels cozy to me, especially in the fall. The only thing I didn't like is that they aren't as mindful about customers of size as Disney. It was the one time I had to do the 'walk of shame' off a ride because there was no test vehicle and the restraint wouldn't close.
I noticed that about their rides too, which is odd considering how high a percentage of people local to the area are people of size. But they do have test vehicles outside of every ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter