Does this sound not possible?

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
And by not possible I mean too much driving (or alot) involved. We are looking into this for 2008. Wanting to go to Vegas and the Grand Canyon. So here's a question: For just wanting to visit GC is it necessary to get a room and stay there? Or is just a "one time" helicopter ride enough? And as far as staying in Vegas, what is a good place on the strip (with a 10 yr old)? I don't think we necessarily need Circus Circus (?) because would like something with an adult theme, but not Hard Rock (at least not with the 10 yr old). And finally was thinking of throwing in one day to DL or two, not sure if that's where it would be too much. I went to Vegas almost 10 yrs ago I believe we stayed at Excalibur, wouldn't even be sure of what to expect now. Any ideas or good websites to get some good info? Thanks

And by not possible I mean too much driving (or alot) involved. We are looking into this for 2008. Wanting to go to Vegas and the Grand Canyon. So here's a question: For just wanting to visit GC is it necessary to get a room and stay there? Or is just a "one time" helicopter ride enough? And as far as staying in Vegas, what is a good place on the strip (with a 10 yr old)? I don't think we necessarily need Circus Circus (?) because would like something with an adult theme, but not Hard Rock (at least not with the 10 yr old). And finally was thinking of throwing in one day to DL or two, not sure if that's where it would be too much. I went to Vegas almost 10 yrs ago I believe we stayed at Excalibur, wouldn't even be sure of what to expect now. Any ideas or good websites to get some good info? Thanks
Try Excalibur again. They are remodeling their rooms and have finished about 600 room so far and their rates are usually reasonable unless the entire city is sold out and there is a lot of demand.

If you want a trip to DL, don't try to do a turn-around. It is a four hour drive each way. Maybe fly into Vegas; spend 4 - 5 days there, then drive or fly to LA to finish your vacation.

To visit the Grand Canyon, you would want to visit the South or North Rims, which are actually in the National Park. The South Rim probably would be your best bet, more to see and do. I would spend the night in the park, or just outside the park in Tusayan. A helicopter ride is ok, but does not go into the canyon. Seeing the canyon from the ground is very important. It is a 5+ hour drive from Vegas, so you will need to stay somewhere nearby.

In Vegas, skip Circus Circus. I would stay at MGM, they have an incredible pool, lazy river etc. Plus a Rainforest Cafe, close to Excalibur and NYNY and the lions are there! We will be there in a few weeks.

The drive to DL will take a 4 hours or so, then stay at a hotel nearby and do the park the next day.

Have fun.

I would definitely skip Circus Circus.

Try the Flamingo. Great location and excellent pool.

This past February, we drove to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas and it took about 4.5 hrs. It probably depends on how much traffic you hit going through the Hoover Dam. We stayed one night at the Maswick Lodge right in the park because we wanted to see the sunset and sunrise over the canyon. If you go in February be sure to bring warm clothes - late night and early morning are VERY COLD !!!!!! The lodges in the park offer really affordable off season rate specials at that time of year, but be sure to book early and keep checking back to see if lower rates become available (I'm pretty sure the rates can be changed or cancelled up until a few days before you arrive).
As far as the hotel in Las Vegas, I agree with casaazul, MGM is a great choice for adults and kids. In addition to the pools and lazy river, they have a large game room and food court as well as the Rainforest Cafe. They also have many other restaurants that range from casual to fancy. The NYNY hotel is a short walk across a bridge from MGM. They also have a huge game room and a roller coaster. Tripadvisor.com is a good site to research different hotels in Vegas.
We have also combined trips to Las Vegas with a side trip to Disneyland. The first time we drove and it took about 4 hours each way. The second time, we flew into Anaheim (from the east coast), spent 3 days at Disneyland, and then flew to Las Vegas from there. We wouldn't do it any other way now. The airfares are really inexpensive, especially if you keep your eye out for specials. We saved some time and arrived in Las Vegas a lot less tired out from the drive.
Have fun planning your trip !!!!!!

This past February, we drove to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas and it took about 4.5 hrs. It probably depends on how much traffic you hit going through the Hoover Dam. We stayed one night at the Maswick Lodge right in the park because we wanted to see the sunset and sunrise over the canyon. If you go in February be sure to bring warm clothes - late night and early morning are VERY COLD !!!!!! The lodges in the park offer really affordable off season rate specials at that time of year, but be sure to book early and keep checking back to see if lower rates become available (I'm pretty sure the rates can be changed or cancelled up until a few days before you arrive).

A couple of years ago I drove from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and stayed there 3 nights (I think). It is well worth staying inside the National Park if only to avoid travelling time to and from the rim. We stayed at Yavapai East which was great. Took two of the tours offered by the National Parks and they were fabulous. Not expensive, either. Also did a flight over the canyon one morning, which was spectacular. I'd say go and stay for at least one night inside the Park, and enjoy.
Oh yes, and we went in May and it snowed!!!!:scared1: :santa:

Heather :upsidedow

I realize that this thread has been vacant for about 2 weeks, but just found it. We always stay at MGM (have a dd16 and ds10) who love the pool and arcade area. But we do go across the street to the Excaliber for their arcade too. In regards to Grand Canyon, we have gone in March (10in snowfall) and and in July, went hiking both times into the canyon. Definitely worth either a 1-2 nite stay. We actually had deer within 15 feet our of hotel window most of the time. We luv it. We are actually planning on going next summer to go down to Phantom ranch and then taking a whitewatre rafting trip.

MGM did look nice, but Excalibur might appeal more to kids (particularly as you can just walk across to MGM to visit the lions). It was very reasonably priced, the room was clean and nice, and I got to live in a giant castle, which is way cooler than a hotel :D.

I've actually never been to Vegas. (I know... I know) It's on my list but I'm a single mom and I want to go up with friends, not my teenager. So, I really have no info for you there.

I have been to the GC though. It was awesome. We stayed on site. Can't remember the name of the lodge but it was right by the sign for the Battleship formation. The lodges aren't reasonable and it's totally worth it to be able to see both the sunrise and the sunset. There's nothing quite like it. Pictures just don't do the canyon justice. You could always fly into Flagstaff. (the Canyon is within an hour I believe)

In my opinion, you really do need to stand at the canyon's rim to really experience the Grand Canyon. I've camped and stayed at the lodges on both the North Rim and the South Rim. I like the quiet of the North Rim, but the South Rim is nice too.

Las Vegas seemed very loud and bright after a few days at GC. I'd probably do Vegas first, get the commerical stuff out of the way, and then relax at GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter