Does Mucinex DM make you feel high?

Free4Life11

DIS Veteran
I've had a small cold this week and took a single Mucinex DM 12-hour tablet this morning and 2 DayQuil Liqui Caps while at work. Well I don't know what was in them, but I felt high as a kite at work! I was very light headed and acting loopy! :eek:

Is this a side effect of the Mucinex? I'm sure it's not the DayQuil, because it was new kind with the other decongestant (not the kind they make meth with).

Maybe it's a combo effect of both?

I take Mucinex before going to bed and it knocks me out but I don't have the usual "Can't wake up" side-effects in the morning. :confused3

Is this a side effect of the Mucinex? I'm sure it's not the DayQuil, because it was new kind with the other decongestant (not the kind they make meth with).

What probably got you was the dextromethorphan. It will make you high as a kite if you take too much, and there are indeed people who do it on purpose. There is 30 mg of it in the Mucinex, and an extra 10 mg in each Dayquil.

Next time get Mucinex D, not DM, and take it with a Tylenol or advil if you have a headache or fever, so you can skip the Dayquil. Mucinex D has real pseudoephedrine in it, which works a lot better than phenylephrine for sinus pain and congestion, and it also does NOT have dextromethorphan. (You have to ask for it from the pharmacy counter and sign a log.)

Dextromethorphan is an OTC drug I try to avoid, because it can cause very nasty conditions if you unknowingly mix it with other meds, especially narcotic painkillers, antidepressants, and some herbal dietary supplements. Serotonin Syndrome is one of the possible results.

The first time I took Mucinex DM I was higher than a kite. My doctor told me to cut a pill in half when he told me to use it again. It worked much better that time.

Mucinex DM makes me loopy, very light, floaty and clears out all my congestion almost too fast. I found out if I take it before bedtime everything drains so quickly I have to sleep elevated or I spend the night gagging myself awake (pretty picture I know). I prefer not to take it, even the smallest dosage makes me feel out of control. I'll still with my generic sudafed from behind the pharmacy counter, it doesn't affect me nearly as much.

Mucinex DM has real pseudoephedrine in it, which works a lot better than phenylephrine for sinus pain and congestion, and it also does NOT have dextromethorphan.

DM has dextromethorphan and guaifenesin, D has guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine; for me I'm pretty sure is the dextromethorphan that wigs me out.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say this was a BAD thing....frankly it made dealing my coworkers a little more bearable! They were being extra annoying today. :lmao: I suppose I can say I have to take drugs to deal with my coworkers!

There are also dosages of mucinex. You could have a high mg than you thought such as the 1200 instead of the 600.

What probably got you was the dextromethorphan. It will make you high as a kite if you take too much, and there are indeed people who do it on purpose. There is 30 mg of it in the Mucinex, and an extra 10 mg in each Dayquil.

Dextromethorphan is of the devil. It makes me feel like I'm not in my own skin and if THAT is what being high feels like, I am sooo glad I never tried anything.

off to get some Mucinex...BRB:moped:

But even having said all that... THAT is funny.

I have several clients who take the various Robitussion DM, Corricidin HBP, Mucinex DM, and related over-the-counter medicines that contain dextromethorphan to get high. In higher than recommended doses, it gives a hallucinagenic effect. These kids keep telling me they just take it because of colds, but...

The kids don't realize (or maybe don't care) that too much of this stuff can put a person into a coma or could even cause death.

I take Mucinex DM and it makes me feel like a million bucks very energetic ly charged all day and I could Councour The World I fell so good if iam grogy sometimes IL take it jus to get boosted and going idk what's in it but my concentration levels are so high it's unreal and i smoke any and everyone at work people can't keep up I never fell high I fell like an extremely adrenaline rush set in for 12 hours and I have a heart problem Artillery Defibrillation and it doesn't affect it at all my heart beats 150 per minute all the time weather iam working or at a complete rest but it never messes with it but stress with make it stop from time to time not medicen

Oh yeah, that's the dextromethorphan . It's the chemical that makes people drink cough syrup until they start to hallucinate. "Robo-trippin'" was a total thing for the kids in the 1990's. :) I don't know if it's still a recreational activity but the short answer to your question is YES it can get you high! Have fun!

Oh yeah, that's the dextromethorphan . It's the chemical that makes people drink cough syrup until they start to hallucinate. "Robo-trippin'" was a total thing for the kids in the 1990's. :) I don't know if it's still a recreational activity but the short answer to your question is YES it can get you high! Have fun!

It is to the point that some store require you to provide ID and be over 18 to buy cough syrup even though the ingredient is in other OTC meds that don't require the same.

I haven't hallucinated on it I jus have this rush of energy and consintration that's unreal I have dslexia and adhd so it just helps so much

I don't take the Mucinex DM because of the way that it makes me feel, it is whatever the medicine is called that the D stands for that I can't tolerate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter