Does anyone wish there was a dedicated area for 18-20 year olds?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
My daughter just turned 16 and we had to cancel our European cruise for her birthday. With Covid and school commitments, i’s plausible we can’t cruise again until just after she has turned 18 so will have aged out of the Vibe. She is really sad there is no real defined place for older teens but it doesn't seem any ships have this. I know they are able to hang out in the adult areas, but honestly, it’s not quite the same especially with a year or two where we couldn't sail.

Yes, I feel bad for this group cuz there's just really not much for them and they're not DCL's target demographic, so I do not think this will change. We're a few years away from this being an issue but we have talked about actually scheduling a cruise right before ours turns 18 so that he can get one last shot at the kids clubs forever. Also when publishing stuff onboard they really need to put in that dash "18-20" because for years I thought they were referring to the year and there was this "1820's" society running around somewhere onboard like it was some historical group or something.

There are some 18-20 activities on the navigator that appear to be in a specific lounge or location. While that event is happening it would be just for them right? Sure, it is not a dedicated space but it does give that age group a spot for that timeframe. Just wondering as ours are just turning thirteen.

There are some 18-20 activities on the navigator that appear to be in a specific lounge or location. While that event is happening it would be just for them right? Sure, it is not a dedicated space but it does give that age group a spot for that timeframe. Just wondering as ours are just turning thirteen.
I don’t think they are in group specific areas. I could be wrong but they seem to just be meeting places within other places like a restaurant etc from what I remember.

The 18-20 Society typically has a meet-up the first night of the cruise, then has other activities depending on their interests. Some activities held in lounges during the day are specifically for the 18-20s and are listed in the Navigator, but there may be less formal get-together that aren’t listed.

On my Med cruise last summer, my 20-year-old son spent most afternoons at a specific table by the adult pool bar with other members of the group, and many evenings at the clubs with them.

I don’t think they are in group specific areas. I could be wrong but they seem to just be meeting places within other places like a restaurant etc from what I remember.

Yes, it's exactly like that. They'll post something like meet at Cove Café at 1pm or Promenade lounge at 2pm. There's really not a designated place or activity, it's just hey let's meet up at this time.

I wonder how the 18 year olds fit in. My daughter says she doesn’t want to cruise again if she ages out of the Vibe because of covid. It will be difficult as she turns 18 just before she graduates in 2022, so not looking good as with school commitments, we cannot go during the school year.

My DD was never into the clubs (Edge, Vibe). However, we cruised Alaska when she was 18. She was thrilled to finally be able to go to the adult areas (especially Cove Cafe) and eat at Palo. She met with the 18-20 a couple of times, but was happier doing her own thing.

My DD was never into the clubs (Edge, Vibe). However, we cruised Alaska when she was 18. She was thrilled to finally be able to go to the adult areas (especially Cove Cafe) and eat at Palo. She met with the 18-20 a couple of times, but was happier doing her own thing.
My 18 year old was like that but youngest loves the clubs. We have done three TAs and some shorter cruises and she actually is pretty unhappy with the thought of aging out before she can explore the Vibe more.

Last edited:
EXACTLY! We have been cruising Disney for years. My oldest son (turning 18 in 2 months) is very sad because of this. The clubs on the cruise are his life. He is mildly autistic so the counselors are great with him, since the little kids clubs all the way up to Edge and Vibe. His favorite memories are of making a flash mob movie! Our last cruise caused him to be melancholy since he kept saying, "This is my last year in the clubs". Regardless of the Covid he would have aged out of the club.

From our reconnaissance on that cruise, the 18-20 club is more of a "meet here and we'll figure something out" club. With no definite plans. He loves the actual "space" and if there is nothing planned he played video games, watched the movies, etc.

He realizes that now he is on his own and is bummed because of it.

EXACTLY! We have been cruising Disney for years. My oldest son (turning 18 in 2 months) is very sad because of this. The clubs on the cruise are his life. He is mildly autistic so the counselors are great with him, since the little kids clubs all the way up to Edge and Vibe. His favorite memories are of making a flash mob movie! Our last cruise caused him to be melancholy since he kept saying, "This is my last year in the clubs". Regardless of the Covid he would have aged out of the club.

From our reconnaissance on that cruise, the 18-20 club is more of a "meet here and we'll figure something out" club. With no definite plans. He loves the actual "space" and if there is nothing planned he played video games, watched the movies, etc.

He realizes that now he is on his own and is bummed because of it.
I know. Its like the mid teens have lost out as squeezing in “one more” isn’t even an option.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. While the group does not have a true dedicated space (club or lounge) they do have more formal meet ups in spots that would be dedicated during that time frame.

They do not have a dedicated spot, as others have said, but on some cruises they “take over Vibe”. So while not the same as being in a dedicated club, they may have the option to play some of the games in Vibe. FWIW, our son was 18 on the last cruise and really enjoyed being able to go to Palo and the adult trivia and adult shows.

Yea...I think they probably wouldn't have much luck with an organized space for that age group as most of them are probably of the "do my own thing" mindset. But, if your DD is a social butterfly, maybe she could try and connect with a few people in her age group before the cruise starts. I know there's usually cruise specific "meet up" groups on facebook and boards like this...if she and a few others in the 18-20 range were able to connect before the cruise and make some plans for once they are on board she might be more interested in cruising at that age.

My 20yo DD LOVED the clubs and did not like the idea of cruising as a 20yo if we can squeeze in a cruise before she turns 21. Well! She is still in touch with friends her age she met on our past cruises. Some of those kids have sailed again as 18-20yo and gave her the scoop that this group can be FUN! One even shared a shot of a big group pic. My DD felt much more encouraged after hearing and seeing this. It looks like it will be what the group chooses to make of it - if they all meet on the first night and then choose to keep on gathering throughout the cruise.

My daughter just turned 16 and we had to cancel our European cruise for her birthday. With Covid and school commitments, i’s plausible we can’t cruise again until just after she has turned 18 so will have aged out of the Vibe.
We are in the same situation -- and had 3 planned cruises cancelled this year. We have 1 scheduled for next year. If it goes, it will be the last for my son to participate in Vibe, which he has loved. I'm not sure that we will continue with DCL if there is no place for him to meet others his age.

We are in the same situation -- and had 3 planned cruises cancelled this year. We have 1 scheduled for next year. If it goes, it will be the last for my son to participate in Vibe, which he has loved. I'm not sure that we will continue with DCL if there is no place for him to meet others his age.
There is an 18-20 group. How active it is depends on the 18-20 year olds on any given cruise. As noted, there's a gathering of the group the first night with a DCL CM who will help facilitate the group in whatever plans they would like to do. If no one shows up that first night, there's no group.

I guess I am a little confused can't 18-20 year olds go to the adult areas outside the bars? Are they somehow identified if going to a 1pm adult quiz contest as well?

maybe on the Wish since it will be much bigger it would have space?

Long time before I have to think about that.

maybe on the Wish since it will be much bigger it would have space?
Wish will not be ‘much bigger’ than Fantasy/Dream. It will have the same number of staterooms and guests. The announced GT of the new ships is marginally bigger than the old ships. They have not publicized larger venues so the extra tonnage might only go to accommodate the new fuel system, which will be LNG instead of diesel.

I guess I am a little confused can't 18-20 year olds go to the adult areas outside the bars? Are they somehow identified if going to a 1pm adult quiz contest as well?

They can go to the bars, too. Their KTTW card has a code (I believe it’s “NA,” but not 100% positive) printed on it to indicate they are an adult, but cannot be served alcohol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!