• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Anyone Have Pergo Flooring?

mjaclyn

Currently in Wonderland
Hi everyone! My husband and I just purchased Pergo Max laminate flooring at Lowes yesterday and it should be installed in a couple of weeks. Now I'm going online reading all of these terrible reviews about Pergo!! The floors buckle, the shine is cloudy, they scratch, bubble, peel, etc. They're supposed to have a Lifetime warranty but everything I read says that Pergo basically denies every claim. The floors haven't been installed yet, so we have some time to change our mind and go with something else. Have any of you had problems with your laminate? Now I'm really nervous. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars onsomething that isn't going to last 6 months. We have 2 small dogs and 2 kids and it's going in high traffic areas of the house. My friend has Pergo and really likes it. I just don't know now.

We had pergo in our old house for about 8 years before we moved and didn't have any issues with it. Pergo will void the warranty if it isn't installed by a pergo authorized installer. We had it in about 80% of our house. I cleaned with a microfiber dry mop and than used pergo cleaner to occasionally wet mop.

We didn't have a dog with the pergo but dd was a baby/toddler. In our current house we have hardwood and I'll admit I like the look better than the pergo but I liked the pergo when we had it.

Last edited:
We have Lowe's coming out tomorrow to do our estimate for the same thing. I'm nervous, but I've seen lots of good reviews as well.

We put Pergo Max in our kids playroom about 6 months ago and have not had any problems. The kids (we have 5) and our dog are pretty rough on it and I haven't seen any wear, scratches etc. Some of the problems you are listing could be from user error like if you don't leave a space between the wall and the flooring for it to expand then it will buckle or if you spill liquid and let it sit or use too much cleaner it can bubble and peel. I read all those negative reviews after we got our flooring and got scared, DH told me most people review things when they are upset not when they are happy with the product so it can seem one sided. Hope that helps!

I put Pergo down in the kitchen way back in 1998, when it was a "new" thing, LOL! It looks as good now as it did the day it was installed. Dogs, kids, spills haven't made a mark. Easy to clean.

We have Pergo Max heritage hickory in our hallways, family room and dining room. We have 3 kids and 2 dogs and they have held up great!!! 4years and just one chip- kids have been dragging the dog crate and I think it caught a tiny corner.

We have no scratches and a few dog accidents have not affected it at all. I purposely picked a low shine, hand scraped look to avoid issues. These are holding up much better than the engineered hardwoods we had in a previous home.

I will add that I am very careful when using a damp mop on them and don't use water or wet cleaners often.

I installed Pergo in my dining room early 1999. Granted it is a low traffic area, but it looks the same I when I did it.

Hi everyone! My husband and I just purchased Pergo Max laminate flooring at Lowes yesterday and it should be installed in a couple of weeks. Now I'm going online reading all of these terrible reviews about Pergo!! The floors buckle, the shine is cloudy, they scratch, bubble, peel, etc. They're supposed to have a Lifetime warranty but everything I read says that Pergo basically denies every claim. The floors haven't been installed yet, so we have some time to change our mind and go with something else. Have any of you had problems with your laminate? Now I'm really nervous. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars onsomething that isn't going to last 6 months. We have 2 small dogs and 2 kids and it's going in high traffic areas of the house. My friend has Pergo and really likes it. I just don't know now.

We had Lowes install ours about 10 years ago. They should be dropping off the planks to acclimate to your home's temp/humidity before they day they install it. So make sure that part is being done. Initially, we were replacing carpet in a family room/dining room open area, but decided last minute to also include the kitchen so it would be one continuous floor. We've been very happy with it. No buckling, even in the kitchen where cooking is done daily & where a lot of stove stop steam fills the air. I clean the floors myself & the shine is still excellent 10 years later. I only clean with vinegar & water. The key to a shiney floor is mopping an area & towel drying it before mopping the next area. I do it in sections that way. I found that if it just air dries, I see the streaks/cloudiness that I'm sure people are complaining about. We've always had multiple dogs & cats over the years & there's been no damage to the flooring. I think the key is to use the vinegar/water cleaning method & drying it right after mopping. Which color did you choose? I've read the darker the floor, the more the imperfections will show. Good luck.

I have laminate in every room except the kitchen, dining room, and bathrooms. Six different types in total, 3 Pergo and 3 other brands. Some of it is 10+ years old at this point and we've had many pets in that time. We installed all of it ourselves and have never had any problems with it.

I put Pergo down in the kitchen way back in 1998, when it was a "new" thing, LOL! It looks as good now as it did the day it was installed. Dogs, kids, spills haven't made a mark. Easy to clean.

My parents installed theirs back when it was a new thing also, in the kitchen, breakfast nook, entry and it still looks just like it did when they installed it! Dogs, granddogs, grandkids, now great grandkid, still looks great!

I have had it for 15 years in my Kitchen, no peeling,bubbling or warping at all. Does have a somewhat cloudy appearance, not a shiny look. Very durable.

My parents installed theirs about 15 years ago or so. My mom likes that it is so low maintenance, you don't have to refinish it, easy to clean, etc. Over a period of years you can start to see where the planks are kind of separating from each other a bit. The biggest thing to me though is that it just looks fake to me. I have seen several homes with Pergo floors and I can always tell just my looking that it's fake. That may not bother you and there are certainly several benefits to Pergo vs other types of flooring but it's just not my cup of tea. Although, I have to say, we are in the process of buying a home and DD5's new room has the vinyl wood flooring which actually makes me a bit happy. Perhaps I won't go so nuts the next time she takes markers to her floor.......thank god the washable markers came out of the carpet easily.

We have Pergo Max in our Kitchen for about two years now. We did have a flood in the kitchen when a small fridge that we use for storing bottle water went out and defrosted. You can see some warping at the edges of the plank, you have to look very hard and close to see it. This was professionally installed by lowes. I did have extra so I installed it in a bathroom. Very wet and the floor does have warping at the sides of the planks but again not bad.

As for cleaning, the installers recommended Bona for laminate floors. we just use that and the Bona Mop, They said that Swifter wet would ruin the floor.

I put it down in our last house before we sold in in 2006. Went to an open house there last year and it still looked good after three different owners.

We have wood but looked into Laminate. The thing that turned me off was how loud it was walking on it and there is no ROI if you sell your home.

The first thing you should think about when installing a wood floor is what is it going on? What is your foundation? Do you have a slab? A crawl space? And if you have a crawl space, what is your joist spacing and how thick and what type is the floor decking? Your humidity is also a factor in what type of wood you should choose. For example we have crawl, I beams, 19.2 on center with 3/4 inch OSB decking. Pergo will indeed buckle with our system. We ended up with a thicker product. Before installing you should make sure you meet minimum specs. The installers won't always check.

We have wood but looked into Laminate. The thing that turned me off was how loud it was walking on it and there is no ROI if you sell your home.
The sound has a lot to do with the underlayment, they had display at lowes so you can hear the difference. We went with the pergo gold underlayment and it is very quiet.

We had Pergo Max installed in our living room and dining room about 2 years ago. We used the Lowe's installers.

It's not a super high-traffic area, but it does get use, including dining room chairs and a piano bench scraping across it on a regular basis. We have 2 big dogs and 2 kids. So far, I am pretty happy with it. I love the way it looks and we have not had any scratches or dents.

It is not as easy to clean as I expected. Apparently water is the enemy. I generally just clean with the vacuum or dust mop and that takes care of most things. Then I spot clean as necessary with a damp cloth. But I agree with a previous poster that I have to dry it (even when the cloth is just damp) or else I end up with water spots.

I have not tried the Bona cleaner. I will have to look into that.

I don't have Pergo brand, we installed Columbia brand laminate about 18 years ago in our kitchen, powder room, and entryway. It has held up pretty well, I only saw signs of wear over the last two years (four kids, no dogs). You can see little chips or scratches in the main kitchen area where knives or cans, etc. have fallen and done small damage over the years. It is only noticeable to the person on their knees cleaning it, though :p. I can't see never using water based cleaner on a floor area that is used frequently. I use Lysol or Pine-sol diluted with hot water to clean my floor. I also use a steam mop that I bought at Aldis with no ill effect to the floor. I don't have to dry the floor as I go and it looks great air dried, no streaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter