Does anyone else love but also hate Expedition Everest?

I finally rode EE on our last trip and have no desire to ride it again anytime soon. I don't know if it was because we sat in the very last row or what but I felt like my head was being smashed in on the backwards part. If my DS ever decides to ride, I'll probably end up on it again but for now, I'm happy to sit with him while DH and DD ride.

I WANT to love it, and I love the queue, and also I love that Joe Rhode created it. But, sadly, I hate the ride. The first time I rode it was in the days of paper Fps, so I pulled a FP, then got in the single riders' line. "Wow, I can get two rides on this!" But when it went whippy-whirrly backwards, my stomach went whippy-whirrly. When I staggered off the ride, a couple was arguing about going on the ride, he wanted to and she didn't. I handed him my FP and I think she was just as grateful, because that meant she didn't have to go. So my first ride also was my last ever.

I love it except for the backwards part. Ugh. I can only do it once a day due to that. I wish that didn't affect me so much!

I used to love it but as I got older, the backwards part got to me so I haven't ridden it since 2012 and probably won't anymore, so I loved the ride, but hate the backwards part. I would love to see
what that backward corkscrew track looks like. It might help if I could at least see what the track is doing, lol.

I’ve been having the same issue recently. Never bothered me before, but all of a sudden it messes with my head. Must have to do with my advanced age....
I'm still younger so in my case I'm just not that used to it as haven't been on it that much

I’ve only ridden in the last row once. While I still loved the ride, the g-force feeling was a little too intense for me, especially around the curves. My legs were a little wobbly when I got out and I’ve ridden way more intense roller coasters in my life.

No hate. We just love it. I was worried about the backwards part before I rode it and now its my favorite part even though it makes me a bit nauseas :scratchin

It never bothered me before but I noticed on my last trip that I felt a little "off" when I got off.

Welcome to the club, my friend. It's largely an age problem. Your head (your ears, specifically) contain a set of organs called the vestibular system. These organs detect motion, including rotation. The system consists of a bunch of tiny hairs and some fluid. As you move, the organs move through the fluid and press against the hairs telling your body that you are moving or rotating in some direction. As you get older, the fluid thins out a degree. My ENT says it thins for everyone, but not to the same extent, so the effect is varied per individual. When it becomes thinner, the organs move through the fluid much more easily, and so motion of all kinds feels more intense than it is.

I have always been a coaster junkie, particularly wooden coasters. About 5 or 6 years ago, I was getting off the Voyage at Holiday World and was a bit green in the gills, which had never happened. I got my feet back under me and we went and did The Legend, and same thing. I chalked it up to just being a bit off that day. Nope. Many thrill rides now cause me to experience a bit of that seasick feeling. The only ones at Disney that do it are RNRC, ToT, and EE. One day I asked my ENT doctor, and he explained the above. The good news is that I have found both Dramamine and Bonine greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the effect for me. I also do the Sea Bands, which may be a placebo, but as long as I can ride the crazy rides with my kids, bring it on. :D

No hate from me on Expedition Everest.... a little dislike for the abrupt ending but no hate.

I used to wimp out on all rollercoasters as a child but Everest was one of the rides to help me overcome my fears. The first time I rode it I remember going up the incline and keeping my eyes focused on the top. Now I can look at the incredible view and really enjoy the experience.

I hate big steep drops. Hate them. They just make me feel lousy. So I have yet to ever ride Everest. If I ever do it will be our next trip if my kids both ride and really want me to ride with them. But I will hate that part and will hate every minute leading up to it because of the anticipation of the drop coming up.

I love it so much I rode it 3 times in a row in the rain on our last trip, including once in the front seat. I would have gone on more times, but ... it was raining!

Welcome to the club, my friend. It's largely an age problem. Your head (your ears, specifically) contain a set of organs called the vestibular system. These organs detect motion, including rotation. The system consists of a bunch of tiny hairs and some fluid. As you move, the organs move through the fluid and press against the hairs telling your body that you are moving or rotating in some direction. As you get older, the fluid thins out a degree. My ENT says it thins for everyone, but not to the same extent, so the effect is varied per individual. When it becomes thinner, the organs move through the fluid much more easily, and so motion of all kinds feels more intense than it is.

I have always been a coaster junkie, particularly wooden coasters. About 5 or 6 years ago, I was getting off the Voyage at Holiday World and was a bit green in the gills, which had never happened. I got my feet back under me and we went and did The Legend, and same thing. I chalked it up to just being a bit off that day. Nope. Many thrill rides now cause me to experience a bit of that seasick feeling. The only ones at Disney that do it are RNRC, ToT, and EE. One day I asked my ENT doctor, and he explained the above. The good news is that I have found both Dramamine and Bonine greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the effect for me. I also do the Sea Bands, which may be a placebo, but as long as I can ride the crazy rides with my kids, bring it on. :D

Love me some Holiday World! I miss the Banshee! They have an awesome water park roller coaster

I have never had the feeling that it was going upside down....... The backwards part is my favorite though because I like how it takes my stomach kind a like when you were doing a big drop........ now that I’m thinking about it though I wonder if it just has to do with how short and quick the drop is. It’s one of my favorite rides it has been seven years since I’ve been on it though I’m really hoping that my aging is not going to affect the experience too much. I know i used to really like things like the spinning teacups but I can’t handle those anymore

I do get the upside down feeling - to me that's the scariest part. I love it though - will always ride it at least once when I'm there.

I hate big steep drops. Hate them. They just make me feel lousy. So I have yet to ever ride Everest. If I ever do it will be our next trip if my kids both ride and really want me to ride with them. But I will hate that part and will hate every minute leading up to it because of the anticipation of the drop coming up.

I was just about to come here and comment on this drop because I was in the same camp as you! I avoided this coaster for 13 years of Disney vacations (I remember the summer it opened!) because I'm a big chicken when it comes to drops. It's actually why I love roller coasters at Disney most of the time - there aren't a ton of huge drops on them! I even love RnR because I love how intense it is WITHOUT a drop. That said -- I rode EE for the first time during DAH this past March--and then we rode it two more times. I still hate that drop; but I have to admit it was a lot less awful than I expected. It has a curve in it that you can't really see from looking at the ride, which makes a huge different in that sinking stomach feeling, at least for me. I actually loved the backwards part and wish the whole ride was that + the bit after the drop with all the turns! Definitely in the love hate column for me too! I'll ride it every trip now, but that drop will never, ever be my favorite thing.

But if a coaster wuss like me can ride (and enjoy!) it, I think everyone should give it at least one shot!

I feel the same way about EE and R&R! It's literally a day of decision of if I ride them or not. I'm either feeling it or I'm not, lol.

Love it. Great ride. Our family uses single rider. Hardly ever separated and never more than 15 min. Wait. Great coaster

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter