Does a DVA make sense for me?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I spend a lot of money at wdw each year but not on packages. I usually buy park tickets through a broker for a discount them upgrade to ap's so maybe $200 per year for tickets upgrades. For food and souvenirs I buy discounted gift cards throughout the year. I'm estimating around $3000 for these expenses. My dvc dues are automatically deducted from my checking. If I can figure out how to switch that I may. I know DVA makes sense for packages but does anyone think it saves me enough to make it worth the hassle?

It pains me that you pay your dues from your checking account. If you buy discounted disney gift cards with a points earning credit card you could easily save 10% on your dues every year. If you think it's too much of a hassle, at least pyt them with a credit card that earns extra points on travel.
It sound like we have a similar spending plan. I rent dvc points, and don't buy my park tickets from disney. I still have a DVA because I add my discounted gift cards to it. When I hit $1,000 I request a gift card to be sent to me.

It pains me that you pay your dues from your checking account. If you buy discounted disney gift cards with a points earning credit card you could easily save 10% on your dues every year. If you think it's too much of a hassle, at least pyt them with a credit card that earns extra points on travel.
It sound like we have a similar spending plan. I rent dvc points, and don't buy my park tickets from disney. I still have a DVA because I add my discounted gift cards to it. When I hit $1,000 I request a gift card to be sent to me.

But requesting a $1000 doesn't actually get you the 2% bonus. So what is the point? If you just want to combine gift cards, you can do that on disneygiftcard.com

You can't use a DVA to upgrade tickets or otherwise pay for anything on site. The only expense you've listed that you could use a DVA for is your DVC dues. Only you can decide if it's worth the trouble and risk to earn a $20 gift card for paying your dues.

My Amex gives me 6% at grocery stores but I just about max that out with groceries and some gift cards. I currently have the Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred. Can I charge my dvc dues to the CSR for 3x ultimate rewards?That would be a better deal if DVC dues code as travel

My Amex gives me 6% at grocery stores but I just about max that out with groceries and some gift cards. I currently have the Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred. Can I charge my dvc dues to the CSR for 3x ultimate rewards?That would be a better deal if DVC dues code as travel

I don't think the dues code as travel, but you can fund a DVA with your CSR and it will code as travel. Then use the DVA to pay your DVC dues.

I don't think the dues code as travel, but you can fund a DVA with your CSR and it will code as travel. Then use the DVA to pay your DVC dues.
How is this done? I assume I can fund the DVA online either monthly or however, then pay my dvc dues either monthly or yearly??? Would I have to call member services each month to do this or can I pay the dues online through a DVA?

How is this done? I assume I can fund the DVA online either monthly or however, then pay my dvc dues either monthly or yearly??? Would I have to call member services each month to do this or can I pay the dues online through a DVA?

You cannot pay dues on a monthly basis using the DVA. You can only pay annually. You call member services when your annual statement comes out and give them the DVA code. It acts pretty much like a gift card (they won't know the difference unless you tell them). One thing that you can do if you like to pay monthly is to start making monthly deposits into a DVA and then use those funds at the start of the next year to pay your dues in full.

But requesting a $1000 doesn't actually get you the 2% bonus. So what is the point? If you just want to combine gift cards, you can do that on disneygiftcard.com
You are right, I dont earn the 2 % when I request the gift card. I like to see the progress of my savings when I add the discount cards to my account.

You are right, I dont earn the 2 % when I request the gift card. I like to see the progress of my savings when I add the discount cards to my account.

I had trouble with the DVA and decided that it wasn't worth it for me. I just "track my progress" on disneygiftcard.com by combining my GCs together. I can store up for $5000 worth of cards on the site and have never had a problem. Even with the benefit of the 2%, DVA just wasn't worth it for me so I couldn't think of using it without any incentive at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter