Do you think it’s rude?

WaltDavisWorld

If you can dream it, you can do it.
How do you feel about it when people put children on their shoulders for shows? I’m just wondering what other parents think and why this seems to happen. I have three kids and have never done that as a curtousy to everyone who would like to enjoy the show as much as I do. Always just held them on my hips so they’re at normal eye level like everyone else. Is it just me who feels it’s unnessesary for kids to be two feet higher than everyone else?

Don’t even get me started.... :mad:

ETA...there was a kid from our Dec 2017 trip on his dad’s shoulders who had to have been 10 years old. I am not kidding.

I don’t put my kids on my shoulders but it doesn’t bother me when someone else does it. I can always move to a better spot.

Courtesy is important. If you're standing with your abck to a wall or in some area without people close behind you that would be blocked, then who cares. If you're in the middle of a sea of people watching the projections on the castle or a parade, and putting your child on your shoulders is going to block the views for 50 other people, then that is a little rude. Not everyone who does it is intending to block other people though, and may not have even realized that they are. Some kids, even held at hip level aren't able to see, just as many adults can't see if they're shorter.

The crappy thing is, LOADS of people are not able to see the projections and parades clearly. Your vision can be blocked just by standing behind someone taller than you, or someone holding their phone or camera in the air, or a taller person putting their kid on their hip directly in front of you if you're shorter. Many times, you think you found a great spot only for someone in front of you to stand up and block your view, or a taller person to join their family in front of you, or hold up their phone to record the show, or whatever. Just people moving their head side to side in front of you in their attempt to see past the person in front of them can in turn block your view and become frustrating.

The fact of the matter is everyone wants to have a perfect view and most people are not trying to be jerks and ruin the experience for everyone else. A little courtesy goes a long way, but at the same time, everyone needs to have realistic expectations that in a group of thousands of people, most are not going to have a perfect line of sight, regardless of how considerate everyone may try to be.

Wasn't such a big issue before projections were part of the castle show. I agree with the above poster that I don't think most people are intentionally doing it. My husband started to put our 3 year old on his shoulder one time during wishes and I started yelling at him about blocking- he hadn't even considered about blocking the view, and he is one who grumbles about people being clueless. Needles to say, he hasn't done it in years since!

Honestly, I am think I am more annoyed by cell phone recording of the fireworks at night. Really? Do people go home and re-watch fireworks show on their phones? If I want to watch it, I find one of the professional recording on youtube!

I think this was discussed somewhere here recently before. It doesn't bother me, and I've done it many times when my kids were younger. I do the best I can to be courteous to others, such as try to find a spot where nobody is going to be behind me, such as with our backs to a fence or wall. I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

I could make the converse argument and say it's rather rude when people try to shove in last minute and stand right in front of my kids. That has happened, a lot. We have none of it.

I find it a lot less rude than the idiots with their selfie sticks and cameras, but that might just be me.

We didn't used to do it during shows, etc., but when my older two were little, we'd put them on our shoulders when heading for the exits in the mass crowds. It was just easier to keep track of them. Plus, we could also see each other.

I think it just adds to the insanity. We skip all parades and shows now because it's too crowded and crazy, never mind the people who show up last minute and shove themselves in front of you. WDW has become like a gladiator game!

There’s just a lack of concern for others in general I suppose. I think for those it doesn’t bother haven’t had it happen to them yet. When you’ve got a spot dead center in front of the castle, can’t move and the show is about to start and then someone hoists their child in the air in front of you and your kids waving a lightsaber you can’t truly understand the frustration. The only ones it sweet for at that point are the parents of that child. To everyone else behind them it’s inconsiderate. A kid on the hip does just fine and they are still able to see just like everyone else. Treat others how you want to be treated is always a good motto, but that’s just me!

It is INCREDIBLY rude. If everyone would keep their kids (and cameras) down a much higher % of guests would be able to see. And if you think I should just move, well that is rude too. It is nearly impossible to move, especially at MK. Plus, you have no idea if the person in front of you will do that until the fireworks/show actually starts, so you may have staked out a spot well in advance and still have issues (and once the show starts, you aren't going anywhere in that gridlock). Just happened to us last week at MK for the castle lighting show....couldn't see a thing. 1 kid on shoulders blocked about 50 peoples view and it was complete gridlock, so no place to go. I by no means expect a completely unobstructed view (and if I needed that I realize I would have to stake out a spot right up front hours in advance), but some common sense goes a long way.

And there are much better quality videos/pictures on You Tube of all the fireworks/shows than 99.9% of us can take, so put your devices away or at least lower them.

On a side note, I find the vast majority of guests to be very considerate. It is always those few that ruin it for everyone!

I find it a lot less rude than the idiots with their selfie sticks and cameras, but that might just be me.

We didn't used to do it during shows, etc., but when my older two were little, we'd put them on our shoulders when heading for the exits in the mass crowds. It was just easier to keep track of them. Plus, we could also see each other.

Yeah. Love the people with big iPads filming the shows. Lol. So annoying and there never going to watch it

How do you feel about it when people put children on their shoulders for shows? I’m just wondering what other parents think and why this seems to happen. I have three kids and have never done that as a curtousy to everyone who would like to enjoy the show as much as I do. Always just held them on my hips so they’re at normal eye level like everyone else. Is it just me who feels it’s unnessesary for kids to be two feet higher than everyone else?
I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!