• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you think Disney will require vaccinations for Covid to board?

Have European officials announced this?
Not yet, but with Spain already keeping a list of their own residents who haven't accepted the vaccine does not bode well for foreigners who won't. After the abject horror they've faced for the last year, do you blame them?

Allowing un-vaccinated people on board will lead to more ships returning early, cancelled cruises, refunds and more lost money.
It would be near-impossible to create a zero-infection environment onboard ships if children aren't innoculated as well as adults. Currently there isn't a vaccination being tested on kids let alone one approved, and pediatric approvals generally are more rigorous with more observation time/data required. Since children are most likely to have mild or asymptomatic cases of COVID, will the vaccine even receive emergency use approval for pediatrics or wait for a longer review period for full approval. However, the concern for cruising is that even asymptomatic kids can spread the virus, which in turn may be serious for adults and even vaccinated adults are not 100% immune. Considering the demographics of DCL's market, this could be a bigger issue for DCL than other cruise lines which have less of a focus on children and families.

It would be near-impossible to create a zero-infection environment onboard ships if children aren't innoculated as well as adults. Currently there isn't a vaccination being tested on kids let alone one approved, and pediatric approvals generally are more rigorous with more observation time/data required. Since children are most likely to have mild or asymptomatic cases of COVID, will the vaccine even receive emergency use approval for pediatrics or wait for a longer review period for full approval. However, the concern for cruising is that even asymptomatic kids can spread the virus, which in turn may be serious for adults and even vaccinated adults are not 100% immune. Considering the demographics of DCL's market, this could be a bigger issue for DCL than other cruise lines which have less of a focus on children and families.

Children are likely to be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. If all the adults on the ship are vaccinated, there is little chance of a major medical emergency on board and a cancelled trip. There may be some quarantining to rooms similar to families with GI symptoms, but the ship won't need to return to port. Covid is a terrible disease because of the % of people sick who have severe symptoms, need hospitalisations, and die. In Pfizers study, only 1 of 43,000 participants had severe symptoms. Vaccination will be a game changer.

Vaccination will be a game changer.
Agree it's a game changer. But I think DCL is in a different situation than most cruise lines due to the higher number of children and families who cruise. The discussion is will vaccines be required, and I think the lack of vaccinations for the pediatric population will play into DCL's decision making.

Not yet, but with Spain already keeping a list of their own residents who haven't accepted the vaccine does not bode well for foreigners who won't. After the abject horror they've faced for the last year, do you blame them?
Thanks for responding. I thought perhaps there had been an announcement that I had missed.

If what you say is true, and you could very well be right, then DCL won't sail in the foreseeable future.
Meaning, the entire ship would need to be vaccinated to achieve a theoretical close-to 100% immunity.
That won't happen for at least another couple of years (<16 age group being vaccinated with rest of population)
It's a grim scenario.

Agree it's a game changer. But I think DCL is in a different situation than most cruise lines due to the higher number of children and families who cruise. The discussion is will vaccines be required, and I think the lack of vaccinations for the pediatric population will play into DCL's decision making.
What we're trying to do with the vaccine is to decrease severe infection and deaths from Covid. The disease itself may never go away. Since children so rarely become sick from it (aside from typical URI symptoms), I think DCL will sail with unvaccinated children as long as all the adults are vaccinated.

Fwiw Pfizer is now enrolling 12-15 year olds in their vaccine clinical trial.

See https://www.covidvaccinestudy.com/

(I got to that link off of Pfizer’s official website)
And they have been since November. There is a chance, whatever it’s worth, that EUA may expand to those middle-school aged kids in time for the next school year. Add the Edge kids to 16+, and the % vaccinated on board plus the risk of <12 for severe disease makes outbreak risk (and major events) a near-zero proposition. Carnival has a similar demographic, age wise, to DCL on their 6 night and longer sailings. Not sure about other major lines, but I’m guessing that RCI and NCL are similar at least in the Caribbean. The question is will port nations and cruise lines be able to hold out until mid-late 2021 to make the mandates worthwhile.

In 2022, Europe already has plans to require US citizen to fill out on-line Travel Authorization form. This has been planned for several years.

I would expect there would at least be a question on COVID vaccination status and/or proof of vaccination.

-Paul

What we're trying to do with the vaccine is to decrease severe infection and deaths from Covid. The disease itself may never go away. Since children so rarely become sick from it (aside from typical URI symptoms), I think DCL will sail with unvaccinated children as long as all the adults are vaccinated.

I agree with this. Vaccines will be required for 18+, but not children.

In 2022, Europe already has plans to require US citizen to fill out on-line Travel Authorization form. This has been planned for several years.

I would expect there would at least be a question on COVID vaccination status and/or proof of vaccination.

-Paul
Canadians will also need to fill that out as well. Was supposed to start in 2021, pushed back to later in 2022. Like you, I also expect a Covid vaccination question as part of it, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter