Do you think Disney will require vaccinations for Covid to board?

icc2515

DIS Veteran
My opinion is that they will not cruise without everybody on board being vaccinated. Here are my thoughts. Masks are doable. Social distancing is where I see the problem. We were watching DCL videos last night and those decks are packed for the sail away party, pirate party, fireworks, during the day, night time, etc. How about the shows, movies, tiny clubs, trivia, karaoke, meet and greets, etc. At WDW they just cut all the outdoor entertainment for the most part: scheduled parades, castle shows, fireworks, street performers, meet and greets. It still is great to go the WDW because of the rides. They were able to do this because they cut capacity to 20-30% or even lower. They are not cutting capacity on the ships. Look at the small amount of rooms available right now on some cruises. They are booked with very little inventory left. What are they gong to do have a lottery and dump 75% of the booked passengers? What are people going to do on these full ships? 4 day cruise and day 2 is your day to sit out on deck. First come first serve (this is alright as I get up very early). Rotating schedule, your time is up in that chair you have 2 minutes to get out before we throw you out. Reservations like at the them park, book your deck space early only one spot per day hurry as space is very limited and reservations book up fast. How are they going to run the shows? Are they going to how the theaters at 50% capacity and just run 4 shows a day? 4 seatings in the restaurants?

If everybody on board is vaccinated they can run the cruise as normal or maybe still require masks at the most.

Its not that DCL will require proof of vaccination at check, its the countries that the cruise stops at and the various ports that may require proof of vaccination, just like some countries did before Covid. Therefore DCL will be required to request proof of vaccination from all passengers at check in. The international vaccination program has existed for specific countries long before Covid. DCL did not sail to those countries, so DCL passengers have never experienced being required to have proof of vaccination at check in.

Its not that DCL will require proof of vaccination at check, its the countries that the cruise stops at and the various ports that may require proof of vaccination, just like some countries did before Covid. Therefore DCL will be required to request proof of vaccination from all passengers at check in. The international vaccination program has existed for specific countries long before Covid. DCL did not sail to those countries, so DCL passengers have never experienced being required to have proof of vaccination at check in.
That's a good point. I guess I was thinking more about DCL requiring it due to guest satisfaction pertaining to onboard activities.

My opinion is that they will not cruise without everybody on board being vaccinated. Here are my thoughts. Masks are doable. Social distancing is where I see the problem. We were watching DCL videos last night and those decks are packed for the sail away party, pirate party, fireworks, during the day, night time, etc. How about the shows, movies, tiny clubs, trivia, karaoke, meet and greets, etc. At WDW they just cut all the outdoor entertainment for the most part: scheduled parades, castle shows, fireworks, street performers, meet and greets. It still is great to go the WDW because of the rides. They were able to do this because they cut capacity to 20-30% or even lower. They are not cutting capacity on the ships. Look at the small amount of rooms available right now on some cruises. They are booked with very little inventory left. What are they gong to do have a lottery and dump 75% of the booked passengers? What are people going to do on these full ships? 4 day cruise and day 2 is your day to sit out on deck. First come first serve (this is alright as I get up very early). Rotating schedule, your time is up in that chair you have 2 minutes to get out before we throw you out. Reservations like at the them park, book your deck space early only one spot per day hurry as space is very limited and reservations book up fast. How are they going to run the shows? Are they going to how the theaters at 50% capacity and just run 4 shows a day? 4 seatings in the restaurants?

If everybody on board is vaccinated they can run the cruise as normal or maybe still require masks at the most.
And that’s why cruises are taking the longest to return. I know this isn‘t new information but there’s less space to spread out on ships and you’re with people you most likely don’t know.

I think at first DCL will require it no matter what and then eventually it will depend on where the ship is sailing to. But it wouldn’t surprise me if these countries will want all cruisers on all lines to have proof of vaccination for a while, which by association means getting a vaccination will be a requirement, even if not by Disney technically. This will probably be the case for a few more years.

They are booked with very little inventory
I'm not sure that anyone truly knows how many are currently booked. Right now they are using guest staterooms for CMs, they may have pulled those rooms from inventory. DCL could have reduced their inventory on the last release, or not. For cruises previously released, it's possible when cancellations came thru that those staterooms were never returned to inventory.

I'm not sure that anyone truly knows how many are currently booked. Right now they are using guest staterooms for CMs, they may have pulled those rooms from inventory. DCL could have reduced their inventory on the last release, or not. For cruises previously released, it's possible when cancellations came thru that those staterooms were never returned to inventory.
While I agree that we don't know how many rooms are booked, what I can tell you from personal experience in trying to book a cruise for Sept 2021 was that we were more than willing to pay more money for a better category room, but none were available. I doubt that Disney is pulling the more expensive rooms and leaving the cheaper rooms.

I don't think DCL will require passengers to be vaccinated for every cruise. Individual countries might (particularly Canada & some European countries), which could affect some itineraries, but for DCL's bread & butter Bahamian & Caribbean cruises, I doubt vaccination would be required.

For one thing, DCL's prime market is families with children, and the vaccines haven't even been tested on young children. So Disney can hardly mandate it for them to begin with. So forget about a fully vaccinated cruise ship- that isn't going to happen any time in the foreseeable future.

In addition, it could be half a year or more before the vaccine is available on demand (and it takes weeks to become effective after receiving it), and I think DCL will want to return to cruising before that time. Once vaccination has proceeded past the 1B stage of the most vulnerable populations able to receive it, I think the Covid gloves are going to come off and life will return much closer to normal. Masks will probably still be required, but there will likely be much less restriction on movement and activities, including cruising, once the most vulnerable have some protection.

I don't think DCL will require passengers to be vaccinated for every cruise. Individual countries might (particularly Canada & some European countries), which could affect some itineraries, but for DCL's bread & butter Bahamian & Caribbean cruises, I doubt vaccination would be required.

For one thing, DCL's prime market is families with children, and the vaccines haven't even been tested on young children. So Disney can hardly mandate it for them to begin with. So forget about a fully vaccinated cruise ship- that isn't going to happen any time in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for that point of view. I would say that DCL will require people 18 and up. Children really are not in the group of people that get very sick from Covid.

I suspect if they limit capacity, it will be a reduction of each category, possibly even taking lifeboat station into consideration. No reason to expect only "better" stateroom categories would be available. WDW did not only open deluxe resorts but something from each category.
Why would they deny selling me a more expensive stateroom if there were a whole bunch of them sitting empty? They could simply sell me a more expensive stateroom and pull a cheaper one from inventory if they were looking to limit capacity. Disney is not known for passing on more money. So I suspect that your theory might be incorrect.

Why would they deny selling me a more expensive stateroom if there were a whole bunch of them sitting empty? They could simply sell me a more expensive stateroom and pull a cheaper one from inventory if they were looking to limit capacity. Disney is not known for passing on more money. So I suspect that your theory might be incorrect.
I suspect the more expensive staterooms are sold out to people hoping cruising will have resumed by September 2021. Used to be normal for cruises to be mostly sold out 18 months in advance. Not sure how or if the pandemic has changed this. My assumption is there is pent up demand, but I could be wrong. A lot of folks could still be uneasy returning to cruising.

I say its a 1% chance they require it.

That is not to say you won't need a vaccine to cruise but it will not be Disney requiring it.

Masks are doable. Social distancing is where I see the problem.

Thing is that vaccines are not 100% preventative so you still need the other measures in place while COVID19 is still a serious issue. I would expect requirement of testing prior to boarding and possibly testing daily as well. I don't think masks go away until 2022 or 2023 on DCL.

Look at the small amount of rooms available right now on some cruises. They are booked with very little inventory left.

You have actual numbers from booking? There was already suggestions that cruises in the winter release next year were holding a number of rooms back from being booked. You not seeing rooms available does not mean they are booked by a guest.

I haven't been following that closely though so point me to the thread talking about it if they are 100% full with guests.

Plus people will cancel especially if there are restrictions in place.

I think they will, if they resume sailing before we are nearing herd immunity through vaccination (not likely before fall 2021). Disney has generally gone beyond local requirements when it comes to restrictions and enforcement. I think they'd rather alienate some customers than risk an outbreak onboard.

But I also don't believe they'll sail before most of the population can get the vaccine.

You have actual numbers from booking? There was already suggestions that cruises in the winter release next year were holding a number of rooms back from being booked. You not seeing rooms available does not mean they are booked by a guest.
Booked a cruise yesterday for Sept, 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. Wanted a higher room category ie more expensive is more money in Disney's pocket and and the Disney cast member told me there was nothing available and that there were very limited rooms left. Now maybe Disney is holding back rooms, but I cannot imagine that they would hold back the expensive rooms and leave only the cheap rooms. That goes against Disney economics. 4 people in a room is 4 people on the ship, doesn't matter if it is an interior room or veranda 246sp ft or 299 sq ft room.

Booked a cruise yesterday for Sept, 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. Wanted a higher room category ie more expensive is more money in Disney's pocket and and the Disney cast member told me there was nothing available and that there were very limited rooms left. Now maybe Disney is holding back rooms, but I cannot imagine that they would hold back the expensive rooms and leave only the cheap rooms. That goes against Disney economics. 4 people in a room is 4 people on the ship, doesn't matter if it is an interior room or veranda 246sp ft or 299 sq ft room.

• What do you have booked and what are you trying to change it to?
  • What is the inventory per category (higher category rooms booked are a small percentage of ship compared to interior/ect)?
  • Capacity restrictions could be based on room locations as well it may not be just a ship wide capacity limit
  • 7 Night cruises are being restricted through October from my understanding so could you change to a lower category or is everything locked possibly?
None of this accounts for people who booked when they thought by September things would be back to normal. Lots of people are up in the air possibly on canceling.

Last edited:
  • What do you have booked and what are you trying to change it to?
  • What is the inventory per category (higher category rooms booked are a small percentage of ship compared to interior/ect)?
  • Capacity restrictions could be based on room locations as well it may not be just a ship wide capacity limit
  • 7 Night cruises are being restricted through October from my understanding so could you change to a lower category or is everything locked possibly?
Cruises that are 8 night or longer are restricted by the CDC. 7 nights or fewer are still fine.

I moved my September 4, 2021 cruise to May 2022 last week. It will be summer before the general population gets the vaccine. I felt it was too close to my September cruise and mask wearing would still be required. I wear my mask, but willing to wait longer to cruise. I’m hoping to be in group 1C for my vaccine along with my husband.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter