Do you regret buying Direct over resale? (or vice-versa)

I think the better question to ask (and some have answered on their own) is "Given what you know, would you buy direct today?"

It wasn't long ago that blue card benefits were acquired via resale or only 25 direct points and direct prices were much cheaper. So many of the vets on here got in at a good time, and of course feel good about their decision.

I'm new as well and the general consensus seems to be that the direct benefits are only worth it if you'll be buying annual passes (i.e. you'll be staying frequently or for a long duration). And buying at a new resort is only worth it if you absolutely adore the resort and are ok with the possibility of losing money on the resale.

I honestly just wish I knew about DVC sooner. I didn't know it was a thing until two years ago and didn't research it until I booked a trip at Art of Animation for this November.

Why would you continue to buy direct when you already had the perks from your initial contact(s)?
We own direct at 2 resorts and indirect at 4 resorts. We bought direct at 2 resorts because that's the only type of contract that is available when new resorts first open for sale. We wanted to stay at those resorts and while we could have waited a couple of years for the resale market, there's risk in waiting such as you no longer have the money or Disney changes the rules.

We just purchased resale, then turned around within a few weeks and purchased 100 direct at AUL. AUL was to have 11-month rights at HI, where we will go just as often as FL. We wanted the blue card for AP discounts (saving $2K this year alone, and roughly $2K every couple years, so an 8yr payback on direct vs resale). We like both contracts (same UY) and are happy to be both resale and direct members.

Only regret is not joining DVC much, much earlier (like 2006).

Bought 150 direct at CCV last October. No regrets at all. I don’t know why, but that blue card meant a lot to me. Stupid! I know! However, moving forward DW and I are going to buy resale. Just worried because I’m very susceptible to Pete’s “resale-itis”

We began in 2003 and most of our points are direct. Our first contract was BWV, $85, for 200 points, but if you gave back current year points, price was $75.

I think the only points we have that are not grandfathered from the first resale restriction are our 100 BLT points bought at $95, I think. Direct we have paid up to $115 for BCV, but we bought in small batches, 25-40 points when we had the money, and no regrets there. Our VWL holdings were also bought in small contracts and for each of those, BCV and VWL, we own just over 200 each.

No regrets....except one I have mentioned here before....we did not buy enough VGF points and it’s hard to use them when Christmas decorations are up. So far, it has been successful, but barely. I was annoyed that they offered some bonus points for certain UY, but not March. Bad decision on my part.

We wanted Wilderness Lodge and bought Copper Creek direct and have no regrets. Resale vs Direct prices at the time we were buying Copper Creek were minimal compared to some of the differences for other resorts, and we wanted the potential annual gold pass perk, and the ability to stay at newer resorts as they open down the road. We the direct price increase since we bought...it would have been a more serious discussion with the wife about how important the option to stay at newer resorts was versus the cost of direct vs resale.

With that said...any add-ons will be through the resale market going forward.

We bought direct 23 years ago, when the question was more do you buy with financing or wait till you have cash. We financed and are really glad we did. We have made up the the financing fee many times over, greatly upgraded our accommodations and didn't watch on the sidelines while the price skyrocketed. Even the resales rates today are way beyond what we paid.

No regrets. We took the DVC tour at AK in 2012. We came home & did research and bought resale. We later added on two more contracts. We have a total of three contracts with the blue card before the restrictions were put in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter