Do you prefer cash or card in the parks?

I do a combination of both. Even if I pay for a meal with my credit card, I like to tip in cash (and of course, tip in cash for housekeeping). I usually bring more than enough cash, and as I get closer to the end of the trip, I spend down the cash vs using a card.

Both.

Always bring enough for tips if we're staying on property and need to tip Bell Services, valet, etc. Plus, an extra $20 just in case money.

I use my card for everything but I will carry some cash just in case, probably about $25 for the parks and $100 for the trip back in the hotel room.

Cash Back Visa for everything everywhere you can! It's just throwing money away to use cash for anything other than some hand off tips (bartenders, valet, whatever).

For the most part I charge everything to our room and then either go to the front desk the night before we check out and pay all or part using Disney Gift cards, or just charge it all to a credit card. I have a card that does not charge the foreign exchange fee so I use that one whenever we are outside of Canada. I do keep a small amount of US cash for tips.

I don't carry cash ever, let alone at a Disney park. I don't remember the last time I had a $20 bill in my wallet.

For the most part I charge everything to our room and then either go to the front desk the night before we check out and pay all or part using Disney Gift cards, or just charge it all to a credit card. I have a card that does not charge the foreign exchange fee so I use that one whenever we are outside of Canada. I do keep a small amount of US cash for tips.
If it wouldn't be much trouble, could you share the name of the card. I'm thinking about getting one of those in the near future. Thanks!

If it wouldn't be much trouble, could you share the name of the card. I'm thinking about getting one of those in the near future. Thanks!

No problem at all! I have a HomeTrust Preferred Visa. There is also the ScotiaBank Gold American Express and the ScotiaBank Passport Visa Infinite.

Edited to add: I'm Canadian so these are cards that you can get in Canada, not sure if you are American or Canadian or from somewhere else.

Last edited:
Do you mind if I ask which card gives you 3.5% cash back?

If you want to learn more about credit cards, I recommend going here:

This group will help you get the biggest bang for your buck based on your needs. Read the first post as suggested by @miztressuz which will help them tailor a few options for you. :thumbsup2

I too bring cash for tips & laundry during extended trips, and an additional $50 just in case for three adults. I mainly use gift cards for all transactions and a CC when GC are not accepted.

Do you remember when there was an issue at EPCOT and the registers were down? The only method of payment being accepted was cash and this was during a festival like Food & Wine. Peeps had to go back to their resort to get their cash and then re-enter EPCOT. That takes time. Carrying some cash in the parks is a necessity for us. Your miles may vary.

This group will help you get the biggest bang for your buck based on your needs. Read the first post as suggested by @miztressuz which will help them tailor a few options for you. :thumbsup2
Thanks!! I used to actively follow that group, and thanks to them, I figured out their system for getting 2 years of companion pass instead of one by opening up a new SW card at the right time of year. I haven't been over there in some time but it's probably time to take a new look at what I've got and see if I can improve it.

No problem at all! I have a HomeTrust Preferred Visa. There is also the ScotiaBank Gold American Express and the ScotiaBank Passport Visa Infinite.

Edited to add: I'm Canadian so these are cards that you can get in Canada, not sure if you are American or Canadian or from somewhere else.
Canadian too!

Thank you both for the recommendations, I'll check them out. Useful credit card, here I come! :)

Apple Pay is my go to. More secure than a credit card and all I need is my phone
Same here, but use my Apple Watch which is even more convenient!

I typically just default to the Apple Card because it does 2% cashback on Apple Pay transactions but I could probably do better with another card depending on how it codes the transaction (Restaurant vs Entertainment vs whatever)

For merchandise purchases I typically do Disney Visa as it gets 10% off most places now. They recently removed the $50 minimum purchase.

Discover does not, the Disney Chase Visa's do. There are others, too. And like most, have cash for tips and charge it all to a cash back credit card then pay off the balance when the bill comes. I do take a $20 with me to the parks just in case, I've been at Epcot when all the card readers (both room charge and credit card) were down.

I bring cash with me definitely. I tend to pay for meals and snacks with cash, souvenirs by credit card and use cash for housekeeping tips at hotel. I tend to bring too much cash and I bring it home but my thinking always best to have too much than too little. There are ATM machines at the Resorts and its hotels too.
magic band does not act as a credit card yet. It is more limited at the California resorts. It has to be the “plus” model. It works for resort entry, photo pass, night shows, LL, and very few magic points. Another difference is it can be re assigned to a different guest. Only one guest can be assigned at a time but can be transferred to another guest.

I always try to keep a little cash on hand, but I don't feel comfortable holding more than maybe $80 or so at most these days, and 99% of the time I just use my debit card or my one credit card (which, fortunately, I owe no debt on).

Do you go to DL/DCA with cash on hand for big purchases, or do you prefer just card in the parks?
I do carry a minimal amount of cash when I travel to Disney. My preference is to get gift cards from AAA, or Target first. I plan out my budget and get my budget in Disney gift cards. Keeping me in check

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter