Do you make good homemade pizza?

browneyes

DIS Veteran
They're showing pizzas tonight on Foodtv. I cannot make a decent homemade pizza. It's always too blah or something. Normally, I've tried to make it with those pizza kits (like chef boyardee), but I have tried it making my own crust and going from there, but it's just not right.

If you can make a good homemade pizza, when can I come over and sample it?;) I like my pizza with mushrooms and cheese (well, and some sauce;) ).:teeth:

Chef Boyardee and those biscuit pizzas are the extent of my culinary skills.

Sorry, Shannon! But if you're phoning for take-out, order me a Hawaiian pizza, please!:)

LOL, I just call Papa Johns. :teeth:

I use the Chef Boyardee 2 Cheese Pizza Kit.......I spread all of the crust out onto one very large shallow cookie sheet. Then I put the sauce on, then I brown Hamburger meat and sausage, drain the oil and put that on top of the sauce...then comes a layer of shredded cheddar cheese and the little package of the parmesian cheese. Then I top that with Pepperoni and half with mushrooms and black olives the other half nothing else. Then I top the entire Pizza with loads of mozzarella and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes! Its YUMMY!

Well CindyB may disagree ;), but I really don't think that you can get the right taste and consistancy in a pizza made at home because we do not have the right kind of ovens. Either ovens that bake at a very high temperature, or ones where the pizza is baked right on the oven floor.

When I do make a pizza a home, the best that I have found is a pizza kit made by Joe Corbie's. The are a fundraising company and they really do have a nice pizza that you put together at home.

We love my pizza and its so simple. I use 2 of those pouches(Betty Crocker, I think) of crust, and use a really big deep dish pan. The pizza isnt really a deep dish, but thats the pan I use. I then use Pastene Kitchen Ready Tomatoes as the sauce, and a shredded cheese pizza blend(check out your dairy section). I also put a little pecorino romano cheese and pizza seasoning on top.

We make our own dough for the crust and for the sauce we use our own tomato sauce put up from tomato' from our garden - then cheese (store bought) and toppings of choice - its the best pizza in the world!:D

When we were kids we had Chef Boyardee a lot & liked it. I think of it as a different food, though - not real pizza. (Sort of like canned spaghetti & "real" spaghetti.)

I don't think of the stuff we make at home as being "real" pizza. That only comes from a pizza oven. However, I found the best recipe for the dough over on the Cooking/Crafting/Scrapping board. It's even called "Best Pizza Dough"! YUM! We like it with red peppers, pepperoni, mushrooms & meatballs. (ham & pineapple isn't too bad either.)

I make a pretty mean homemade pizza if I do say so myself. Make the dough from scratch, make my own sauce, and Shannon, I love mushrooms on my pizza.:D

WE used to make homemade pizza all the time, but haven't done it for years! We watched Emeril doing pizza last night too, and I think we might try his white pizza this week. I looked yummy!

A friend taught me to make the BEST pizza at home.

We either make pizza dough in the bread machine or buy unmade dough in the grocery store.

We spread the dough out onto a pizza pan or cookie sheet and top it with diced tomatoes from a can. Next, we sprinkle on a little basil and oregano, then top it with shredded brick cheese. The key is the brick cheese. It's as gooey as mozzerella, but the taste is more "pizza."

I top my pizzas with either mushrooms, onions, or black olives, or some combination of them and bake it at 425 for 10-12 minutes.

I think my biggest problem is the dough. I like my pizza dough a certain way and I've never gotten it right. Most people say it's all in the sauce, but I can find a sauce I like.:)

Piratesmate, I'll check out that recipe on the Recipe/Scrapping Board.:) Thanks.:)

Marilyn, great minds.;)

RUDisney, when you say brick cheese, are you using a cheddar or some other kind of brick cheese?:)

To those of you that can make a good homemade pizza, I'm envious.:)

I've heard you've gotta have the right kind of oven, too. I wish I had a pizza oven. I saw one last night on FoodTv that was interesting, it's supposed to be the oldest Pizza place in the US. It's in New York (of course:) ). I can't remember the name of the place, but they use coal to heat their oven and the people in the restaurant said the coal gives it a smokey taste that makes it delicious.:)

I make great homemade pizza...dough from scratch, fresh ingredients. There's nothing like fresh homemade pizza. It's less oily than restaurant pizza.

To get it nice and crispy I use a pizza stone...preheat the stone and you'll get great results.

DH and I have homemade pizza all the time -- and its awesome. The secret is the pan you cook it on. We use a pizza stone (our's is from Pampered Chef). We make the dough from scatch, but do it the easy way in the bread machine. I can drop everything in the machine in the morning and set the timer. When I get home from work, I just spread the dough on the stone, let it stand for about 10 minutes, then bake the crust at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Then we take it out of the oven and dress the pizza with sauce, cheese (lots of cheese!!), mushrooms, a few chunks of tomato ( I like to toss on canned Del Monte diced tomatoes), a sprinkle of garlic salt. Then it goes back in to the oven for about another 10 minutes. It's great because we have a good, hot, delicious pizza within 30 minutes of walking in the door. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter