Do you like to stay with family when you travel out of town?

lifesavacation

DIS Veteran
I would much rather stay in a hotel.

Next month, we are traveling out of state and will be within 1 hour of my sister's house. She will get very offended if we don't stay with her. Not sure how to navigate this without her taking it so personally. Anyways, just wondering if the majority of people would rather stay with family instead of a peaceful, private hotel :)

An hour is pretty far away to stay from where your actual destination is. Maybe you could meet her halfway for dinner one night, but if she questions it, I would just tell you that you don't want to drive 2 hours per day to get to/from your destination.

I also ALWAYS would prefer a hotel.

I would book a hotel then tell sis that you've already paid for the hotel.

We really prefer our own space (king bed, own t.v.) and waking up when we want instead of being jarred awake by noisy family who gets started early on east coast time while we're still on mtn std time.

It depends. Some of my sisters I will stay with, some I prefer not to. I would never be offended if people did not want to stay with me, while I will always offer, it can be a pain to host guests.

If I'm travelling to visit family, I will stay with them if they want me to. If I'm just coincidentally travelling nearby for other purposes I will plan for a hotel and not give it another thought. Vice-versa works the same. When we invite people to visit us they are of course welcome to stay with us but if they're in town for something else, whatever they want to do is perfectly fine.

We stay at my parents when we visit. We’ve also stayed at my cousin’s house and sil’s house. My folks are in nyc and it’s too expensive to stay in a hotel.

I would never be offended if an out of town guest stayed in a hotel.

I think my sister equates us staying with her to mean we love her and her family. And we do love them, but her house is stressful and I just want to have a nice weekend away in a hotel with my husband. This is a very sensitive issue for my sister for some reason. There's no getting around offending her.

I love visiting family, (will be visiting my middle DS and wife in South Carolina for a few days this spring) BUT DH and I always would rather just stay at a hotel when visiting.

On the flipside I never have a problem hosting when family comes into town.

My family are 5 and 25 minutes away.....so no need to.
But if they weren't, I would rather stay in a hotel. I like quiet and my alone time

I feel weird being in someone else's space overnight, even if it's been set up for guests. But I'll do it, for the sake of saving money and showing closeness. However, even though my parents love having houseguests, the noise and chaos and dog hair is just too much. We get a hotel every time now.

I would much rather stay in a hotel.

Next month, we are traveling out of state and will be within 1 hour of my sister's house. She will get very offended if we don't stay with her. Not sure how to navigate this without her taking it so personally. Anyways, just wondering if the majority of people would rather stay with family instead of a peaceful, private hotel :)

These days, I would rather stay in a hotel, too, unless it was my sister's house...I'd stay with her.

2 yr ago, we finally started staying in a nearby hotel when visiting BIL & SIL. Their house is just way too small to accommodate 4 extra people...small 1000 sq ft 3 BR California bungalow house with 1 bathroom. More than once, we ended up sleeping in a tent in their backyard. No joke. I love my BIL & SIL very much and don't fault them for their tiny house of course, but we'd also have to bring our own linens, sleeping bags, pillows...so it was like camping, but not camping. Never again.

And the last time we spent the night at my MIL's house, it was over Easter and we slept on the floor & had to find our own bedding. That was on an Easter weekend. She had a hissy fit over something stupid on Easter Sunday and threw my YDD's Easter basket across the family room. That was the last time we stayed over there, and the last time I'm ever spending an Easter Sunday with her. And when it happened, I and the kids walked out of the house and didn't speak to her the rest of the day. It was pretty bad.

When it comes to a lot of our extended family, staying in a hotel is a small price to pay compared to the nonsense that happens. Everybody just has a better time together.

All of my family who lived out of town have passed away. If I had family visiting, they would be welcome to stay with me but I would not be offended if they chose to stay at a motel.

It depends on the family dynamics and how large of a group we are talking about. Some relatives may not have enough space/bedrooms for another complete family to stay. For the OP, if your travel plans weren't related to your sister and you just happen to be an hour away, I like the suggestion about meeting up mid-way for dinner. A daily 2 hour drive is a lot to ask regardless of if you are on vacation, traveling for business or for some other reason. I wouldn't do what makes you uncomfortable just to avoid offending your sister.

Sometimes the family dynamics just don't work out, everyone has a different schedule, there isn't enough space or they have pets you don't enjoy. Just depends on the person and they shouldn't be offended regardless of what you decide to do.

I'm odd about bathroom situations. If my host has a "guest suite' with a private bathroom then I'm ok with it. But if it's one bathroom for everyone, I just can't do it! Then I'll stay in a hotel. I'm just too old to do the "let's all share! routine"

I would never be offended if an out of town guest stayed in a hotel.

I think my sister equates us staying with her to mean we love her and her family. And we do love them, but her house is stressful and I just want to have a nice weekend away in a hotel with my husband. This is a very sensitive issue for my sister for some reason. There's no getting around offending her.
Does your sister need to know that you're near to her house?

Sometimes I want to visit my sister when I drive to Hershey for the day, other times, I don't tell her that I'm there.

I'd prefer a hotel, too, especially if there is more than just me for them to have as a guest.

These days, I would rather stay in a hotel, too, unless it was my sister's house...I'd stay with her.

2 yr ago, we finally started staying in a nearby hotel when visiting BIL & SIL. Their house is just way too small to accommodate 4 extra people...small 1000 sq ft 3 BR California bungalow house with 1 bathroom. More than once, we ended up sleeping in a tent in their backyard. No joke. I love my BIL & SIL very much and don't fault them for their tiny house of course, but we'd also have to bring our own linens, sleeping bags, pillows...so it was like camping, but not camping. Never again.

And the last time we spent the night at my MIL's house, it was over Easter and we slept on the floor & had to find our own bedding. That was on an Easter weekend. She had a hissy fit over something stupid on Easter Sunday and threw my YDD's Easter basket across the family room. That was the last time we stayed over there, and the last time I'm ever spending an Easter Sunday with her. And when it happened, I and the kids walked out of the house and didn't speak to her the rest of the day. It was pretty bad.

When it comes to a lot of our extended family, staying in a hotel is a small price to pay compared to the nonsense that happens. Everybody just has a better time together.

My sister's CA house is very similar. Small with only one bathroom. The bathroom door doesn't lock, which makes it unsettling to use in a house with several people. And there's so much yelling at her house. I grin and bear it if I'm alone, but my husband says never again will he stay there.

Does your sister need to know that you're near to her house?

Sometimes I want to visit my sister when I drive to Hershey for the day, other times, I don't tell her that I'm there.

I'd prefer a hotel, too, especially if there is more than just me for them to have as a guest.

She already knows. I've attempted not to tell her before and it didn't end well. I have adult kids. They talk or share on social media. She lives near DL so it's hard to keep that kind of a trip secret. We're traveling for my daughter's beach volleyball tournament and my daughter invited my sister and her family. We'll spend time with them at the beach while watching the games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter