Do you like to stay with family when you travel out of town?

These days, if possible, a hotel room. Visits are much more pleasant if they aren't 24/7.
Having said that one Aunt and Uncle had a cabin (actually a house nicer than their "real" house") on a lake and we always stayed with them. There was one motel nearby, but it burned to the ground and was never rebuilt.

It depends on if I am "vacationing" or "visiting." I have two sisters- one lives in a coastal resort town, and one lives about 15 minutes outside of New Orleans. Both sisters' homes have space to accommodate us. If I'm on vacation, I prefer my own space, sleeping in, staying up late, going out, etc. If I'm visiting, I love to be at my sisters' homes, to sit around in the morning, planning the day/meals, hanging out at night drinking wine, laughing, watching movies and playing games.

PS- This goes for when DH travels with me, too, but sometimes he has to stay home for work responsibilities while I am "foot-loose and fancy-free!"

We usually stay with family. If we are going on a vacation and will be near family, and don’t intend to stay with them (or see them), we usually don’t even mention that we’ll be in town.

We have family in Florida and sometimes visit with them part of the time, and then go off and do our own thing for a few days. Sometimes our whole trip is for visiting people, and we move from home to home. Sometimes we just want to do our own thing.

Often it’s the case that family want you to feel welcome in their home and save some money on your travel. Though, they understand that we need some time to ourselves too. As long as we make time to see them on a regular basis, that is!

My sister's CA house is very similar. Small with only one bathroom. The bathroom door doesn't lock, which makes it unsettling to use in a house with several people. And there's so much yelling at her house. I grin and bear it if I'm alone, but my husband says never again will he stay there.

She already knows. I've attempted not to tell her before and it didn't end well. I have adult kids. They talk or share on social media. She lives near DL so it's hard to keep that kind of a trip secret. We're traveling for my daughter's beach volleyball tournament and my daughter invited my sister and her family. We'll spend time with them at the beach while watching the games.

Well if she lives near Disneyland then I’ll stay with your sister!! 😂

No. I’d prefer to stay in a hotel because I don’t want to disrupt anyone’s regular groove of things and I like to do what I want when I want and don’t want anyone to interrupt my vacation flow lol

LOL. She's within 45 minutes and has never taken her kids.

It is nice to know that most here would rather stay in a hotel. That helps me be more firm about staying in the hotel.
My DIL never lived more than 50 miles from Disneyland and never went until she started dating our son. We live 400 miles away.
And she has been to WDW 6 times for conventions and school competitions, and has NEVER been to any of the parks there.

I would always prefer to stay in a hotel but there are a lot of hurt feelings in the family when I make that choice. The irony is I would probably stay for a longer visit overall if I could retreat to the hotel at the end of the day. So I will stay with family if we are the only ones staying, but if others besides us are invited, I'll go to a hotel. Just too many people and, like a previous poster said, I find it awkward having a bunch of people sharing one bathroom or adults sleeping on blow up mattresses, etc. On the flip side, we have a fairly large house and I would like people visiting us to stay with us or at a hotel - whatever is comfortable for them.

Lord, no... learned my lesson with that. I can handle my husband and my kids but that's it. Not even friends. I'll stay in the same condo/hotel complex but will not share a condo/ house/room. I dont want anyone dictating what time I can make noise or turn on/off the lights. Or critique how I make my coffee. Won't have adjoining again either. Had some friends feel like our bathroom was up for grabs too. Two couples shared because they were cheap and one of the wives took over our bathroom because the other was using theirs.

I just got back from a visit to my sister and I stayed in a hotel. Her townhouse is small, and she has a cat, which I am allergic to. When she and BIL visit me, they stay in the house, but it’s just me in almost 4000 square feet, so there’s plenty of room. They usually visit for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are family times to be together anyway.

We take our RV to hubby's parents house. They even set up a nice area in their side yard for us with electricity and water. They live out in the country so their yard is huge and they have a small privacy fence around the side of the house that the RV is on. The space is out by his Daddy's "shop" so pretty far from the house. We love it. We can go up to the house and visit them throughout the day but eat and sleep and go to the bathroom in our own little travelling home. We don't visit any of my family and all his family lives in that town.

I like having my own private space. We stay up late and join together for breakfast but I sleep in a hotel,

My sister's CA house is very similar. Small with only one bathroom. The bathroom door doesn't lock, which makes it unsettling to use in a house with several people. And there's so much yelling at her house. I grin and bear it if I'm alone, but my husband says never again will he stay there.

She already knows. I've attempted not to tell her before and it didn't end well. I have adult kids. They talk or share on social media. She lives near DL so it's hard to keep that kind of a trip secret. We're traveling for my daughter's beach volleyball tournament and my daughter invited my sister and her family. We'll spend time with them at the beach while watching the games.

We always get lip from relatives every time we go to DL. They all complain that we don’t go to visit them. We tried that a few times but it would double or triple the length of the trip and none of them are willing to meet you half way. So now we just use the excuse of wanting to stay within walking distance of DL and we tell them when we will be out there. And we invite them to meet up with us in Anaheim.

So far after 5 yr in a row of that, they haven’t taken us up on our offer. 🤣

Depends on who we're visiting. Most of our extended family doesn't properly have room for guests so it is more comfortable all the way around for us to stay in a hotel when we visit. But there are a couple of notable exceptions, members of DH's family who bought or built their homes with big extended family gatherings in mind and who can accommodate guests without sacrificing privacy or comfort.

SIL always offers for us to stay with her but I think she's also always relieved when we refuse, because she's got 3 kids in a 3b/2b house and doesn't really have room for guests even if all the cousins do want to be in the same place (we usually compromise by having my girls sleep over with hers while the boys stay in the hotel with us or vice versa, so the kids get bonding time without having 10 people under one roof). But we do stay with his aunt for a few days almost every time we're in California. Her house is I think 8 bedrooms/9 baths so it isn't like we're all tripping over one another or feeling like we're imposing/crowding anyone when she invites us to stay with her.

I would always choose a hotel-haven't had to because I've never been in that situation. All of my family are nearby. I only really travel *with* my sister. I can't imagine trying to fit my personal routine into someone else's space. I stayed with a friend on a trip to Boston some years ago and it was *agonizing.* Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter