• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you like the signatures?

I liked mine so much I tried to redo mine. :sunny:

I love the sigs. I think it really helps us to to kind of "know" a person because they share themselves with you through it. I hardly consider any part of a signature egotistical.

And honestly, it's also an easy way for me to spot members I "know." I'm awful remembering everyone's username...especially Dis being as large as it is. But show me a sig and I can probably tell you a lot about that member. :lmao:

The only thing I would caution is to be careful when choosing your sig...because what you put there can come back to bite you later (hence what you experienced, OP).

Aww... I love seeing the siggies. I'm another one who uses them to identify my "friends." (Bad with user names. lol.) My pic is about a month old now. Need to work on a new one. :surfweb:

I like them! I use them to identify posters because I'm a visual learner and images stick to my brain more than user names. I hope to get a new photo of my kiddos at WDW in a month to replace the old Christmas time one!

I can only image how much bandwidth must be used just to have so many of them. I believe most people know that bandwidth can be expensive. Some are okay if they are simple. But to me the ones that have ticker clocks for every trip outside of their home is a little much :) I think the next trip to WDW will do.

But I do wonder about the bandwidth question because on some boards that does come into play regarding expenses. Does the DISboards ask for a member or sponsorship fee? I haven't seen anything like that and do love that the board is free so who pays for all this?

I must admit I was curious about the bandwidth as well; I have *never* come across another board with as much leeway regarding sigs before! I love being able to have my girl's picture up; I should probably try to jazz it up a bit, heh :)

I know that there are some boards that limit the sig to your first post in a thread, and then it doesn't show if you post again in the same thread; I'm surprised that's not done here...

I get lots of comments on mine, so I know people look. Heck, I even get PM's on it.

Of course, none of it is related to me. :confused3

Marie17 said:
I've only been on the DIS boards for a little while but I was wondering how many people actually like all the signatures? Do you find them useful? Do you just turn them off? Do you think they take up too much space? Do you read them? Do you just scroll down and don't care?

I have a simple quote as mine - Be not afraid from Pope John Paul - someone I admire. I once posted in some thread suggesting to the thread starter that he could try and make up a story about wanting to propose to his wife to get (yikes - FREE) admission into the park right before the fireworks went off - he only wanted to be near the international walkway area at Epcot to see them. Was I creamed!!!! Needless to say because I "suggested" this I was considered a hypocrite - because I have a quote from the Pope (even though I am not). After a while, I even went so far as to say I think all these signatures with how many trips (and lots of people have ones that aren't Disney), how much weight, lots of ticker clocks, pictures of resorts, etc. was a sort of ego trip.

I am just posting for an ego trip
.NOT! :rotfl2::stir:
Actually, I do NOT have all my past trips to Disney or anywhere else in my sig because I don't want to brag. The current ticker:hourglass is because we are excited about our upcoming 25th anniversary tripparty:. The romance is still alive!:love:pixiedust:

EEEWWW!! I thought the dead horse was a pinata when I first looked at it. I thought it was so cute and then read more posts and realized the cute pinata was a dead horse. How funny :rotfl:

I like to see everyones signatures. I never would have know DisneyGirl4188 also has a boxer. Cute pic of the dogs. Our boxer is named Auggie Doggie.

O.K. I think I'm the only one here who does not know what the tag fairy is. I've heard about it before, but never understood what people were talking about. :confused: Can someone fill me in?

I love looking at siggies. It think if offers insight into the personalities of others and just seems more personal than the words we see. I love having a siggie because I get to see my two greatest joys everytime I post something. If that has something to do with my ego (because of course I think they're beautiful) then I'm not sorry, lol. I just wish I had a really cool pic from when we visited the world. It would seem we are not the best vacation photographers. I like even better that it's free to post your siggies here. I visit another board that you have to subscribe to to post pics:)

Am_I_There_Yet said:
I get lots of comments on mine, so I know people look. Heck, I even get PM's on it.

Of course, none of it is related to me. :confused3

Your picture of Chloe in the signature is one of my girls' favorites-they ask me every time I scroll by the photo-Mommy, how did they get their dog to stand so still!?

Very cool.

Disneyrsh said:
Your picture of Chloe in the signature is one of my girls' favorites-they ask me every time I scroll by the photo-Mommy, how did they get their dog to stand so still!?

Very cool.

Awww, I love hearing that! Thanks from me and from Chloe! :goodvibes

macfamily said:
I must admit I was curious about the bandwidth as well; I have *never* come across another board with as much leeway regarding sigs before! I love being able to have my girl's picture up; I should probably try to jazz it up a bit, heh :)

I know that there are some boards that limit the sig to your first post in a thread, and then it doesn't show if you post again in the same thread; I'm surprised that's not done here...

That's what pretty much made me decide to start this thread. It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up. Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.

I may be wrong but I just don't notice the sponsors of this whole website. Am I missing something or particular companies?

I hate sigs. Well not really hate but they make it hard to surf at work!!! Now at home I have no issues with them.

I hate big obnoxious sigs or, really, anything that might call attention to what I'm looking at while at work. ;) I keep mine to a small picture and a countdown, and I sometimes feel like I should take even those away!

I really dislike sigs that have unnecessarily HUGE pictures or, worse, a jillion smilies all moving and blinking. It's really distracting.

I like most signatures unless they are too big and/or long. I like photos of real people and I don't mind sharing a picture of my daughter.

There are a couple of posters I have put on "ignore" because of the their signatures. I don't care to be slapped in the face by their political & religious messages everytime I read one of their posts.

Marie17 said:
It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up.
If the image isn't stored on the Dis itself, the only bandwidth it's going to affect is that of the host site of the images. For example, my images are stored on photobucket.com....so any views of my images effect my bandwidth there, not on Dis. A view of a thread or a post on a thread will affect bandwidth here because that's actually being "stored" here. But an image hosted on another site will only affect the bandwidth of that particular site. So expense no longer really becomes an issue since typically the only Dis hoted images in a sig are usually only the smilies...which isn't going to affect much bandwidth if people didn't use them in their sigs.

Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.
The simple solution as people have pointed out is to simply turn off the sigs. But it's pretty clear that Dis doesn't have a problem with sigs repeating themselves.

Marie17 said:
That's what pretty much made me decide to start this thread. It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up. Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.

I may be wrong but I just don't notice the sponsors of this whole website. Am I missing something or particular companies?

Look at the top & bottom of every page, & you'll see plenty of sponsors. Also, Dreams Unlimited is a major sponsor. I'm sure you must have seen a pic of Tour Guide Mike at some point. He's another sponsor. There's also the Swan & Dolphin hotels, & FL Tours transportation.

Personally, the only sigs. that bother me are the ones that force you to scroll to the right to read the post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter