Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Never looked into it

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I’m going to look into it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t know enough family history

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I was told so but found out it wasn’t true

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I have been told so but have not confirmed it

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I was surprised to find out I do

• I know very little

• Total voters
Being Mexican, I am by definition of mixed race. Per family lore, there is a great-grandma of indigenous heritage. I pass as Gonzo. "What are you? Where are you from?" Per husband, there is Choctaw heritage. Apparently, MIL could have applied for tribal recognition if she had chosen to. Sorry, but I don't know the proper language for US recognition of indigenous heritage.

I'm half Slovak/Ruthenian, my dad is US born, etc. and so were his parents, but his folks married within their little Pittsburgh community.

My mom's a mix from New York, Irish and Swedish on her paternal side, Irish and French Canadian on the maternal side. In theory, the French Canadian was half French, half First Nations. So there's an Algonquin great great grandparent in the mix.

All I ever learned about my Algonquin ancestors was from a museum.

Being Mexican, I am by definition of mixed race. Per family lore, there is a great-grandma of indigenous heritage. I pass as Gonzo. "What are you? Where are you from?" Per husband, there is Choctaw heritage. Apparently, MIL could have applied for tribal recognition if she had chosen to. Sorry, but I don't know the proper language for US recognition of indigenous heritage.
https://www.usa.gov/tribes

I do not but my DH and therefore my DS and DD are citizens of the Cherokee nation. My 3 month old grandson is in the process of being registered. Registration isn’t a quick process.

We were always told by my grandparents on my mom's side that we have some native American blood. The area is Machias, Maine where our ancestors came from.

Washington County, where Machias and UMaine’s titular regional campus is located, houses the largest percentage of Native Americans in Maine who are located primarily on the Passamaquoddy Tribal reservations of Indian Township and Pleasant Point.

I jchuckled when I saw Passamaquoddy as that is the town in the original Pete's Dragon! I actually thought is it was a made-up name until I did a little research.

MJ

Well, I just did an ancestry DNA test and not a speck.
Currently, I believe Ancestry’s DNA test only goes back something like 6 or 7 generations back. They say they update the results every couple months, so your results will probably change.

We were always told by my grandparents on my mom's side that we have some native American blood. The area is Machias, Maine where our ancestors came from.

Washington County, where Machias and UMaine’s titular regional campus is located, houses the largest percentage of Native Americans in Maine who are located primarily on the Passamaquoddy Tribal reservations of Indian Township and Pleasant Point.

I jchuckled when I saw Passamaquoddy as that is the town in the original Pete's Dragon! I actually thought is it was a made-up name until I did a little research.

MJ
Have you tried to research the line and verify the Native American heritage? Just curious. :-)

Currently, I believe Ancestry’s DNA test only goes back something like 6 or 7 generations back. They say they update the results every couple months, so your results will probably change.
The paperwork says 7 to 8 generations. Given men on my father's side tended to wait to have kids until age 40, that could take me back 320 years. That is a huge step forward because records on that side of the family don't exist/vaporized/were destroyed before 1912, when my dad was 2 and my grandfather was 43.

The paperwork says 7 to 8 generations. Given men on my father's side tended to wait to have kids until age 40, that could take me back 320 years. That is a huge step forward because records on that side of the family don't exist/vaporized/were destroyed before 1912, when my dad was 2 and my grandfather was 43.
If your DNA is registered, you may be able to find cousins who have the missing documentation you are looking for.

Is Aboriginal considered a negative term?
Not negative, no, and neither is indigenous. Both terms are used in some official contexts but the people do refer to themselves as "First Nations" and that's what you'll hear here in media, public speeches by politicians and the like. Slight difference in how it is here-to-there. The term "native" is seldom used, "Canadian Indian" is never used. Although they belong to "bands", not "tribes", their "tribal lands" are referred to as "reserves", not "reservations". I live 1/2 a mile from the largest urban reserve in Canada with over 12,000 residents. It's called the Tsuut'ina Nation. There's another large one, but more rural, about 25 miles east of the city called the Siksika Nation. Both peoples are descended from Plains Indians, and are various lineages of the Blackfoot band.

Not that I am aware of but it won't surprise me. A branch of my Dad's family was here pre-Revolutoriary war. So if I have any it would be from that side. Mom's parents came to the U.S. almost 100 years ago from Scotland .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter