Do you feel the need to respond to abled guests complaints or comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney also has signs posted on the windows letting guest know the same thing all disney buses meet ada requirements.

I was under the impression, that those were legally binding (for lack of a better term) in that a bus driver could not force someone to move out of those seats for someone else. I know it has been discussed here before.

I was under the impression, that those were legally binding (for lack of a better term) in that a bus driver could not force someone to move out of those seats for someone else. I know it has been discussed here before.

they legal have to put the signs on the bus i think the only seats they can make someone move is the seats that have the tie down points under them. Your right about the other seats only thing they can do is ask for you to move but they can't make you get up.

i never said that people that ask someone to give up their seat are evil but i do understand why some people might not want to ask.

Yes, the attitude that you're asking for something completely unreasonable that you get from almost everyone, that's why people might not want to ask.

I would never demand that someone get up, or force them to do so, but I will continue asking, even if other people with disabilities consider me a complete jerk for doing so.

Boy, I try to be a compassionate person, but that would really make me angry.

My husband is physically disabled (back), and if a bus is standing-room only, we decide on a case by case basis whether he can manage to stand for that ride or whether we want to wait for the next bus.

There's always another bus.
Completely Agree! :thumbsup2

I really do think there's a huge difference between WDW transportation and public transportation. Where I grew up, public transportation is partially public funded meaning tax dollars. That alone makes a huge difference. In addition, at WDW there are limitted starting point to a route while public transportation there is a continuous loop. At WDW, if you wait for another bus then typically you'll be the first person on that next bus meaning you'll get a seat. With public transportation even if you wait for 10 more busses chances are they'll have approximately the same number of people already on it so you'll never end up with a bus unless you wait hours for completely off peak travel periods and in some cities that concept hardly exists. You can't compare WDW transportation to real world.

The trip we took where DH had a hernia causing doubling over pain if he had to use the muscles required to keep him balanced on a moving bus, we did not ask people to give up his seat to him. We had the option to wait for another bus if there was standing room only. I didn't feel that it was right to put others in the position of having to explain why they wouldn't give up their seats that they were just as entitled to as we were. We had the option to wait. We were typically on busses which were not standing room only because I'm a huge advocate of using touring plans so typically there weren't crowds but the few times there was standing room only we would just wait for another bus.

Bolding is mine....
that is exactly what I was trying to explain. YOU are choosing to be responsible for YOURSELF! NOT Expecting others to be responsible on your behalf! Because you don't have the time or really what it boils down to is wanting to wait for another bus. If that is such an issue then disney's internal transportation system really isn't right for that individual. They should look into renting a car. I and many others (as you can see from other posts on this thread) see this as rude/inconsiderate and it does give disabled guests a bad reputation. And then 'we' (general) wonder why disabled guests get such a bad rap. Well, because of 'demands' (I use this term loosely as it isn't really a true demand but there isn't really a true reason that has been given why the guest cannot wait for the next bus) such as this. Everyone getting on the bus is tired and wants to sit.

Yes, the attitude that you're asking for something completely unreasonable that you get from almost everyone, that's why people might not want to ask.

I would never demand that someone get up, or force them to do so, but I will continue asking, even if other people with disabilities consider me a complete jerk for doing so.

And this helps 'our cause' at Disney so much. I don't think you're a jerk. I just don't understand why you cannot wait for the next bus? Why do you think your time is any more important than anyone else's at Disney? Everyone has the same 24 hours in their day. I don't think others are more important than me, but I also don't think I am more important than them! :goodvibes

I think the difference between us is that I'm willing to take responsibility for my health in a slightly different way. Not everyone has the capacity or the time to wait until there's a bus with empty seats.
Just out of curiousity, what happens to you when you don't have time to wait? Do you just give up on things you wanted to do because you're convinced that other people are more important than you? Your needs are important and you can ask for things that you need. You don't have to force anyone to get up, but you can ask.

You're right, it's none of your business, particularly as you basically called me a spoiled child for taking control of my situation.

::yes::, it has been hashed out on the Disabilities board:headache:
here are some if you want a good laugh and read popcorn::

*****Warning***** some of these threads may cause you to laugh, cry or cut someone :lmao: Proceed with caution:rolleyes1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2840769&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2775275&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2772309&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2809119&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2857980&
highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883281&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

I suspect that this thread will most likely end up how the majority of them were:rolleyes1

Boy, I try to be a compassionate person, but that would really make me angry.

My husband is physically disabled (back), and if a bus is standing-room only, we decide on a case by case basis whether he can manage to stand for that ride or whether we want to wait for the next bus.

There's always another bus.
Understood. This wasn't at WDW; it was a unique situation where ordinarily a tram runs between the subway station and a parking garage, but it was broken so they used buses instead. Since there aren't usually buses available for this purpose, there was no way to know when the next one would be along - so the driver wanted me to fit.

It seems that my original question has been misunderstood. I realize that not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person, but how do you handle the complaints and comments of others?

Our DD is loaded onto the bus with her chair but we always help her to transfer so that the bus seat does not have to folded down in order to accommodate others to sit. On a full bus my DH always stands with the chair away from others and also removes the leg lifts to avoid hitting other riders. I will also occasionally stand, however only directly in front of DD to be sure that she stays in place during the jerky ride. I feel that although we are loaded first to ensure a seat for our DD we are still considerate of other guests.

How do you handle people who rudely make public announcements that we are getting preferential treatment unfairly? If I explained our situation to everyone who seemed upset, our vacation time would be greatly reduced and certainly not enjoyed.

It seems that my original question has been misunderstood. I realize that not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person, but how do you handle the complaints and comments of others?

Our DD is loaded onto the bus with her chair but we always help her to transfer so that the bus seat does not have to folded down in order to accommodate others to sit. On a full bus my DH always stands with the chair away from others and also removes the leg lifts to avoid hitting other riders. I will also occasionally stand, however only directly in front of DD to be sure that she stays in place during the jerky ride. I feel that although we are loaded first to ensure a seat for our DD we are still considerate of other guests.

How do you handle people who rudely make public announcements that we are getting preferential treatment unfairly? If I explained our situation to everyone who seemed upset, our vacation time would be greatly reduced and certainly not enjoyed.

please don't feel like you have to do that your dd could stay in her chair and be tied down. that why they have tie down points it be safer for her so please don't feel like you have to transfer so not to take seats she has the right to use the tie down. And don't feel like your taking a seat your not you are taking a spot that your entitled to use so your dd can ride safely on the bus just like everyone else can. Sorry i know it your choice and what ever you choose is fine i just don't want you to think you have to do it.

Hi Lisab372! Wow! :hug: to you and your DD!! I think by your post you are doing everything JUST RIGHT!! :thumbsup2
Yes, not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person. I think those that "rudely make public announcments that you are getting preferential treatment" are being just that...Rude! And honestly, I think the bulk of those around you know the honest truth which is that those 'complainers' are just that...loud mouth complainers looking for something to complain about. You know in your heart you are not getting preferential treatment, please don't let 'those' people or their comments ruin your vacation. I would say, IMO, it would probably be best just to ignore the comments as no matter what explanation you try to offer, it will probably not be 'good enough' to the person making the public service announcement thereby only adding fuel to the fire. I can only imagine how difficult and hurtful it must feel. Please try not to let inconsiderate people and their comments ruin your trip. Most of the people around you are well aware by the equipment you are using for your daughter that this is not preferential treatment but a necessity for the safety of your daughter. Hugs to you! :goodvibes

We have heard the same kind of rude comments, so I know exactly how it feels. My DD can't get of her wheelchair to transfer to a seat, so if we use the bus, we have no choice but to use the wheelchair tie down spot.

Sometimes people make very mean, hurtful comments. We choose not to comment back because our comments will not make those people understand and could just lead to an uglier situation.

Doesn't mean they don't hurt, but I don't see anything to gain from engaging most of those people.

Please try to remember that you owe nobody any explaination of why you're using a chair for your DD. You are being a great parent who does what you need to do for your child. Do not engage hecklers/commenters/ignorant jerks who comment based on a fraction of a second view into your life. They're not worth it.

What bothers me I guess is the effect it has on the person being talked about. It's hurtful. While I wouldn't engage the commenter, if my child took notice I would certainly make a point of telling her that she is doing nothing wrong and has no other options but to use her chair and use the spot allocated for that chair. Explain that it's very unfortunate that people feel a need to comment about things that they don't understand and clearly that person doesn't understand your lives. Explain that it's important to remember that we don't know what's going on in other people's lives and that it's best to just assume that the person commenting is probably just going through some rough stuff themselves that makes them overly sensitive and therefore is lashing out at others around them and that their comments are really more about their issues than about DD (this may or may not be true, but it helps me to cope by thinking this way). :hug:

There are obnoxious people in the world. Period. Disabled or not, you will still encounter rude people who have zero thought of consideration for others. Trust me! There are plenty of discussions on DIS about people giving parents with strollers the evil eye and nasty comments. Ignore the jerks. If not you, they would find something else to complain about. They have no other form of conversation.

I was raised that the able bodied always offer their seat to the elderly, disabled, pregnant, or mothers with very small children. It is common courtesy. It takes a cold heart to remain sitting in comfort while someone else struggles to stand.

There are obnoxious people in the world. Period. Disabled or not, you will still encounter rude people who have zero thought of consideration for others. Trust me! There are plenty of discussions on DIS about people giving parents with strollers the evil eye and nasty comments. Ignore the jerks. If not you, they would find something else to complain about. They have no other form of conversation.

I was raised that the able bodied always offer their seat to the elderly, disabled, pregnant, or mothers with very small children. It is common courtesy. It takes a cold heart to remain sitting in comfort while someone else struggles to stand.

Yes, and while you're judging people like me, remember that not all disabilities are visible. I need a seat, but I don't look like I do, and I get a lot of evil eyes for not jumping up so everyone older than me can have a seat.
I'm not saying that you're an obnoxious person, it just sucks when you can tell that people are judging you constantly because they perceive that you're a cold hearted witch.

We have encountered all sorts of problems when visting theme parks with our son who has ASD
Anyways i have a few different situations we have been in!

1.We was at a theme park in the UK and our son had a simular card to the GAC we was waiting at the exit for a ride that was pretty busy with our son and his twin brothers,the ride attendent came over and said do you have a VIP card or something we answered No its a card that allows us to get on from here due to my son,he answered WOW it must be great to get that and not have to que all day he doesnt even look "disabled" I replied that he wasnt phyisically disabled he has autism he turned around and said well that's even better!! lucky you to get a que jump card for only that!!:furious: I said yeh it's amazing we dont have to que because we have a child with autism.........

same day out and we are let on to the front of a ride, a girl around 10 shouts out to her dad i cant believe that women and her BRATT just got in on front of us they didnt even wait very long! im going to tell her she has to move. I turned around and said to the dad theres No need to tell us to move Im sure my son wont mind waiting so she can ride at the front! the dad said thats good I cant understand why you got on before us anyway(at this point my DH was looking pretty mad) I just told him I hope you never have to have a reason for your child to get this access and walked off to wait with my son!

At Disney we always get people telling us we are going the wrong way when walking up to que,or asking where they can go to get the pass we have,some people insist on trying to tell us over and over again about somethings that they feel we are doing wrong?

On the buses my mum uses an ECV and the driver always insists that we are to go on with her,well there is Me Dh and our 3 boys aged 6,6,9 we always feel embarassed to be let on 1st but the driver says if we dont get let on 1st then we may not get on the bus together at all! my boys always sit on my lap, and Dh has always been the 1st to get up for anybody who needs a seat even when a husband and wife are standing he always asks the wife is she would like to sit,we have gotten many dirty looks and comments about we should wait our turn we just ignore them!

Do you feel the need to respond to abled guests complaints or comments?

Not so much a need as a desire. :lmao: (So far I have kept my mouth shut.)

I have seriously been considering making a "business" card for those getting into my business. It could be something educational and passively written that could be handed to a guest while I smile and keep on moving. I might make a couple for different occasions.

Some of the possible opening statements people might put on the card could be:

"I am sorry if I delayed you a bit so that I could ride the bus."-
It could go on to explain the important safety reasons why buses load the way they do and a reminder that you always exit last? It might also mention why it is important to transfer off of an ECV onto a seat? It might mention that they will be long gone and at the gate while you are still waiting to unstrap from the bus...or?

" I am not on an ECV because I am fat, I am fat because I am stuck on this darn ECV". "Actually, I am overweight because I have medical issues and I have limited mobility".-It could remind them that mobility or medical issues can cause a person to gain weight and how you have enough to deal with in life with out being labeled lazy too? Or that you WISHED that being lazy was the problem? Or maybe simply comment that your first choice of view in not other peoples tushes, or that the air down her is not better.. or what every you want to say? ( some people seem to think anthing over a size 6 is fat..geeze.)

"I have a medical reason why I must be on and off a mobility device...."

"My stroller is a qualified medical device the same as a wheelchair...""
I really don't get front of the line access". "Many times my wait is actually longer than yours...." or "I go to a new line to wait...." or.....

I think some people speak with out thinking. My hope would be to educate on what is really happening and maybe to embarrass them enough that they think first before making rude comments. If the comment impacted a child, I would remind them on the card how their comment could impact the child.

I think I might end every card with a statement something like "Life is not fair and I know that we all face struggles. I hope you never have to deal with the things that I am dealing with and I sincerely hope that you have a fun and blessed day today."

Who knows if I will really do this, but it makes me feel better just thinking about it. :rotfl:

I usually don't but on our last trip we had a complaint that pushing our DD12 in a wheelchair all day is no different than this particular guest pushing her baby stroller all day, and why should the parent who was not pushing the wheelchair be allowed to accompany them since it means I would be guaranteed a seat.

The bus driver was wonderful, and noticed our daughter's anguish at the thought of me not accompanying her on her seat (as DH always folds the chair and stands at the rear, this led her to believe she would sit alone) and told her never to worry about being separated from her family. After he seated us, the driver closed the doors and actually spoke to the rude guest in line, although we have no idea what was actually said.

My husband was very angry, and if he had not been the one on the wheelchair ramp while moving, I am sure there would have been a very different outcome.

I feel that it works both ways - shouldn't all families be allowed to stay together on the bus? Why should some get preferential treatment?

I feel that it works both ways - shouldn't all families be allowed to stay together on the bus? Why should some get preferential treatment?

It's not so they can sit or stay together ON the bus it's so they can all be on the same bus, that's it. If able bodied people see they can't all get on the bus they can quickly decide to exit if they wish to wait for another bus. Not the same with disabled person in wc or ecv.

Not so much a need as a desire. :lmao: (So far I have kept my mouth shut.)

I have seriously been considering making a "business" card for those getting into my business. It could be something educational and passively written that could be handed to a guest while I smile and keep on moving. I might make a couple for different occasions.

Some of the possible opening statements people might put on the card could be:

"I am sorry if I delayed you a bit so that I could ride the bus."-
It could go on to explain the important safety reasons why buses load the way they do and a reminder that you always exit last? It might also mention why it is important to transfer off of an ECV onto a seat? It might mention that they will be long gone and at the gate while you are still waiting to unstrap from the bus...or?

" I am not on an ECV because I am fat, I am fat because I am stuck on this darn ECV". "Actually, I am overweight because I have medical issues and I have limited mobility".-It could remind them that mobility or medical issues can cause a person to gain weight and how you have enough to deal with in life with out being labeled lazy too? Or that you WISHED that being lazy was the problem? Or maybe simply comment that your first choice of view in not other peoples tushes, or that the air down her is not better.. or what every you want to say? ( some people seem to think anthing over a size 6 is fat..geeze.)

"I have a medical reason why I must be on and off a mobility device...."

"My stroller is a qualified medical device the same as a wheelchair...""
I really don't get front of the line access". "Many times my wait is actually longer than yours...." or "I go to a new line to wait...." or.....

I think some people speak with out thinking. My hope would be to educate on what is really happening and maybe to embarrass them enough that they think first before making rude comments. If the comment impacted a child, I would remind them on the card how their comment could impact the child.

I think I might end every card with a statement something like "Life is not fair and I know that we all face struggles. I hope you never have to deal with the things that I am dealing with and I sincerely hope that you have a fun and blessed day today."

Who knows if I will really do this, but it makes me feel better just thinking about it. :rotfl:

I've often thought about doing something like this, mostly in response to people's questions about what happened to my knee, or why I need xyz accommodation even though I'm young. It's super passsive aggressive, but it saves time explaining and it might make them feel like they should be minding their own business (which they should).

These ideas are hilarious. If you do them, you should put pictures of some kind to go with the text, memes or something. :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter