Do you ever wonder if its all worth it?

pixiedust23

DIS Veteran
I'm not overweight by any means. Actually quite average. However I do work out and try to eat healthy to attain that perfect body. Now I'm starting to questino if it's really that worth it...anyone else feel like this? maybe I just need some motivation

You pose a great question.

I am sorry you are feeling this way just now and hope the feeling gets better. I WISH there was a crystal ball for times like these where we could all look to see what we would become if we didn't make those better choices.

While there are many factors that go into what we become including the genetic thing, I somehow have to go with the idea that making those wise eating choices and exercising regularly will keep me active as I grow up. It may not make me invincible, but I believe it will make me stronger to face whatever I have as I go through each day.

I can say for certain it the exercising and all has helped DH while he has had to face three major surgeries in the last three years. The doctors have said that. It has also helped me get through the stress of being the spouse in this case.

:hug:

Hope you find it in you to continue onward and that we all can.

I want to live a loooooooooooooong healthy life - I don't care if I am really thin or not -a smaller jeans size will be a nice perk for a healthier me.........

Hope that helps.

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

Hi, pixiedust! :wave: I'm really sorry you feel that way. I agree with TigerLily, though. I want to be stronger to face the day and its challenges. Sure, I get knocked down by something big (like wondering if it's worth it) but I know that I have to get up again and learn from it because I've come so far! I know I'll never get the perfect body-I'm no model, and am never going to be Superwoman (even models are airbrushed in magazines!)-but I want to be a better me so I can be healthier.

I truly hope you'll find it in your heart to keep going where you want to go. I know that if you really want this, you can do it. :hug: :hug: :hug: Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Is it worth it? For me, absolutely yes. I have a very large extended family; my mom was 1 of 13 children. 90% of the adults in my family are overweight or obese. Most suffer from health problems including diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems. 2 uncles have died from complications from diabetes; 1 uncle and 1 aunt have had triple bypass surgery. I know most of their problems could have been avoided or greatly reduced by healthy eating and a more active lifestyle. Seeing all the health problems in my family is what keeps me motivated. Most days I enjoy working out and my body generally prefers healthy food, so I don't feel deprived. You're doing something good for your body and for yourself, and that is definitely worthwhile.

Thanks everyone. I'm not giving up. I'm going to work a little harder and try to bump myself to 2 workouts a day. HAHA well see how long that one lasts, but at least it's worth a try.

I think it is great that you are a healthy weight and you are working to stay that way through good food choices and exercise. I don't know what the perfect body is, but the healthy body in a good bmi range with good bloodwork etc... Yes - it is worth it. Because you won't have to fight obesity due to poor food choices and a sedentary lifestyle and suffer health consequences. Because you won't be in a panic about going on a trip or a reunion or fitting into a dress for a special occasion. Because you can just enjoy life without worrying about not being able to keep up or being embarrased because of your appearance.
I think that is something I am just starting to "get." I thought thin people were just thin and chubby people like me were just chubby and fat people were just fat and that was that... so I just sort of accepted myself and that was ok... but as I work on weight loss and exercise and watch the thin ones -hey, they make the right food choices/exercise choices. Sure, they eat at McDs sometimes and lounge around sometimes, but it is just sometimes. Not all the time. They also make a conscious effort to exercise to keep fit/thin. I went to a friend's house yesterday and she was just getting ready to go for a run... now this is a thin person who goes to the gym during the week. Yet, she still makes the effort on weekends to keep fit and exercise.
Yes, this is hard to make the effort to eat right and exercise and yes, it is worth it for me! :flower:
Don't kill yourself with the twice a day workouts. :rolleyes: I did that in my early twenties and became quite fit quite fast, so it does work, but I think that level now would wipe me out totally! I find now I do an extra exercise routine some days because the days are long and there are so many different opportunities, but it is more like a brisk walk at lunch and then a jog at night, or a swim at night.

Hi Pixiedust,

In a nutshell its definately worth it as long as your not doing unhealthy things to yourself. Remember its a journey and a lifestyle change. Its not something you must feel you have to change overnight. If your not eating enough, starving yourself or overdoing it then no its probably not worth it. But if you eat healthier foods, learn to eat more but eat less fattening foods, exercise etc then its worth it and the healthier benefits are evident everywhere.

Make sure if you exercise twice a day you don't overtrain. I overtrained once and I was tired, and felt like I was getting a cold. If your new to exercise. Start with once a day. Work your way up to two. Exercise is not meant to be torture. You can benefit from exercise once a day and I'd be careful of overtraining. Its very easy to do.

MelanieC - no no I am by no means knew to exercise. I've been working out b/w 20 min-1 hour pretty much everyday for the past 5 years. granted I'll have a month here or there when I'll fall off the wagon or need to nurse an injury. And as for giong the unhealthy route, I've done that. That's part of why it is important to me to stay fit and trim and healthy, the last thing on earth I want to do is fall back into the not eating.

I'm so glad you decided to stick with it!!!!!!! I'm very proud of you. Keep on truckin', my acquaintance! I know you can do this!

Before:
PorkersInEgypt.jpg

After:

BrianAndRobbie2003.jpg

Worth it!

pixiedust23 said:
MelanieC - no no I am by no means knew to exercise. I've been working out b/w 20 min-1 hour pretty much everyday for the past 5 years. granted I'll have a month here or there when I'll fall off the wagon or need to nurse an injury. And as for giong the unhealthy route, I've done that. That's part of why it is important to me to stay fit and trim and healthy, the last thing on earth I want to do is fall back into the not eating.

I read your other thread about doing 2 workouts per day (which BTW is very doable, but you have to be careful about overtraining and not eating enough). You also don't want to be too obsessed.

I think it's worth it if you workout for the reason you set forth for yourself. What are your goals? Do you want to be like the fitness competitors or other advanced-level athlete? Or are you striving for more overall endurance/tone/etc? It would help you to define your goals.

It seems like you're not getting the results you desire, too. There are things you can do to get where you want to be. Consider changing your routine/program, diet, or intensity and/or consulting with a nutritionist or personal trainer. There are so many resources out there, too, like websites, magazine, and books. Have you looked into an advanced health/fitness program or a more intense regimen on your own?

Do you keep a journal? I've been working out a long time (24 years) and I can look at my old training logs and tell you what I did. Keeping a journal has helped me make progress and has helped me evolve. You might want to keep track of your program/diet/etc to give you more insight on what to keep and what to change.

I think you're ready for the next step and you should take it up a notch. GL!

Is it worht it? Well, my dad has always been very healthy. Exercised and ate right. Well, he did get diabetes, but not until age 60. His sister's had it as long as I can remember. He did need to have by-pass surgery at 65, although he never did have a heart attack. The doctors told him he would have had a heart attack 10 years earlier if he had not taken such good care of himself. Yup. His sister had by-pass surgery about 10 years before.

I say it's worth it. However, it sounds like you're generally eating right and exercising. So, you know it's worth it. I agree with others. Maybe you just need to shake up your routine a bit. I've heard that putting in small workouts throught out the day is just as good for you. However, if you're looking to burn fat, you really need to get your heart rate up for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.

We all get dissappointed at times. You'll get back in the swing of things again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!