Do you ever regret staying off site? - Update! We're staying offsite!

We stayed off site and had no regrets.

We had a 2-bedroom suite with a full kitchen. It was well within our budget. We at most of our meals at our hotel or packed them, and saved a ton of money doing so.

We got a great deal on a rental car, which we needed anyway to see other sites and meet up with friends. Paying for parking, and leaving a bit earlier was no problem for us. We went back to our hotel mid-day for 3-5 hours.

Basically, if you don't mind the trade offs, you'll be ok. We couldn't have done the trip we did on-site, so for us, no problem.

So after talking about it thoroughly we decided to try to rent DVC points to stay on site but if our selections are not available we'll stay off site in the Sheraton Vistana which looked like it had a lot of great reviews unless we would get a great pin code. I just can't justify the high prices of the rooms without a discount!

Thanks everyone!

This has been a really interesting thread to read through and I'm so glad for all the responses. We, too, are staying off-site for the first time this year, after having stayed at the villas in WL, SSR and BLT (twice there!). We go with the grandparents and, since dad retired this year and my dh was downsized into a lower paying position, the already high cost of a WDW villa is now completely out of reach. Having a little one who still needs a nap and being in a multi-family situation means that having a villa or condo is ideal.

We, too, are staying at the Sheraton Vistana Village this time. We got an unbeatable deal on a 2-bedroom villa with dh's Starwood status. I also bought APs to save on parking and in order to buy a TiW card. (What can I say? We all love the signature dining!) We plan to go in November of this year, then again in September of next year, so the numbers worked.

Here's hoping our vacations are as magical as they were on-site! :beach:

We have stayed on and off site. We have tried a couple different off-site places, but our preferred location is the Doubletree in DTD. We love that place!! Great to have a room for DD7 to herself, while we have a bedroom to watch tv, or read with the lights on. We have, however, had some stinker places... we will stick with the Doubletree from now on.

When we stayed on-site we were at POFQ, and while it was nice (and overly small for us) the overwhelming DISNEYness of the place drove us nuts after a while. We like being able to de-Mouse, if that makes sense.

This has definitely been an interesting read. However, I'm still on the fence with staying offsite. We have no choice but to fly, so we'd have to rent a car for 8 days and we're not sure if we want to deal with the hassle.

Yes, most of it is laziness. We also love Magical Express, and not having to worry about how to get from point A to point B or driving directions or any of that. We love being able to go back to our room before dinner, freshen up, rest a bit, etc. We love being completely surrounded by Disney at all times :blush: so, there is that. We also love enjoying the restaurants on-site for dinner and usually budget that in our travel plans.

On the other hand, our family of 4 has turned into a family of 5, and while our newest addition is not considered an occupant yet (he's still under 3), we will be forced to pay for a more expensive room on-site in the future if we want to stay. The money we're shelling out for a WDW vacation is becoming a bit much as airfare prices go up, so we might be forced to seriously look into staying off-site in the future to offset some of these added expenses.

For our next trip, we're definitely staying on site and have tossed around the renting DVC points idea for awhile, but it's a bummer we can't take advantage of the free dining promotion while we stay in a DVC unit.

On the other hand, our family of 4 has turned into a family of 5, and while our newest addition is not considered an occupant yet (he's still under 3), we will be forced to pay for a more expensive room on-site in the future if we want to stay. The money we're shelling out for a WDW vacation is becoming a bit much as airfare prices go up, so we might be forced to seriously look into staying off-site in the future to offset some of these added expenses.
The problem gets no better. When the little guy turns three, you have to buy kids park tickets for him; and when he turns 10, he pays the same as you.

For our next trip, we're definitely staying on site and have tossed around the renting DVC points idea for awhile, but it's a bummer we can't take advantage of the free dining promotion while we stay in a DVC unit.
Depending on the ages and sexes of your other children, you will be fine in a DVC one-bedroom for a while. (They allow 5 in a one-bedroom, although you may be more comfortable in a two-bedroom.) So renting a DVC reservation is a viable option, and there is no better place to do it than on the DIS DVC Rent Trade board. (You must be logged in to view and use this board, and be sure to read ALL of the very helpful "stickies" FIRST.)

During the school vacation period, which seems to be when you would go, the point costs for a DVC one-bedroom range from 222 points for OKW (our favorite DVC resort) to 340-407 points for a one-bedroom at VGF (Grand Floridian), depending on standard or lake view for a full week (7 nights). Needless to say, there are a bunch of other DVC resorts in between those two.

DVC point rentals seem to be running from $11-$14, so you are looking at $2,442-$3,108 for OKW for a week, and $3,740-$4,760 for VGF standard view for a week.

Offsite, you should typically be able to get a TWO-bedroom timeshare rental from an owner (like a DVC rental) for between $600- $1,000 for a week. There are MANY great offsite timeshare rentals available, both through brokers and directly with the actual owners.

Either a DVC or offsite timeshare would typically offer MUCH more space than a hotel room, a full kitchen, a washer and dryer in the unit (not down the hall), and typical resort amenities like great pools, activities, etc, etc.

On the question of driving, the first day you will be nervous and will make a few inconsequential mistakes. You'll make a few more mistakes the second day.

By the third day, you'll be a salty vet and will laugh at the people riding the buses -- ESPECIALLY with small children who benefit greatly from a mid-day nap/pool break back at the resort.

And...you'll save hundreds of bucks dining offsite, AND eat better, compared to eating your main meals on property.

I wouldn't say I have regret it, but I would say I often wonder on what I am missing out on.

I usually stay at Westgate town center. I enjoy it every time. I've been staying there since I was like 8, including my honeymoon. This trip, I am staying at animal kingdom lodge. It's pricey (3 nights there for what I'd pay for 7 or 8 at westgate...) but I want to see the other side of how to do Disney.

It probably isn't something I would do regularly as offsite is so much cheaper though. Unless I get hooked. uh oh!

The problem gets no better. When the little guy turns three, you have to buy kids park tickets for him; and when he turns 10, he pays the same as you.

Depending on the ages and sexes of your other children, you will be fine in a DVC one-bedroom for a while. (They allow 5 in a one-bedroom, although you may be more comfortable in a two-bedroom.) So renting a DVC reservation is a viable option, and there is no better place to do it than on the DIS DVC Rent Trade board. (You must be logged in to view and use this board, and be sure to read ALL of the very helpful "stickies" FIRST.)

During the school vacation period, which seems to be when you would go, the point costs for a DVC one-bedroom range from 222 points for OKW (our favorite DVC resort) to 340-407 points for a one-bedroom at VGF (Grand Floridian), depending on standard or lake view for a full week (7 nights). Needless to say, there are a bunch of other DVC resorts in between those two.

DVC point rentals seem to be running from $11-$14, so you are looking at $2,442-$3,108 for OKW for a week, and $3,740-$4,760 for VGF standard view for a week.

Offsite, you should typically be able to get a TWO-bedroom timeshare rental from an owner (like a DVC rental) for between $600- $1,000 for a week. There are MANY great offsite timeshare rentals available, both through brokers and directly with the actual owners.

Either a DVC or offsite timeshare would typically offer MUCH more space than a hotel room, a full kitchen, a washer and dryer in the unit (not down the hall), and typical resort amenities like great pools, activities, etc, etc.

On the question of driving, the first day you will be nervous and will make a few inconsequential mistakes. You'll make a few more mistakes the second day.

By the third day, you'll be a salty vet and will laugh at the people riding the buses -- ESPECIALLY with small children who benefit greatly from a mid-day nap/pool break back at the resort.

And...you'll save hundreds of bucks dining offsite, AND eat better, compared to eating your main meals on property.

On our past few trips on site we have driven. At first I was not in favor of it, but it did take less time in the end plus no crowding etc. Our last stay was off site due to a great cost savings. At ASMusic family suites we were kind of cramped. The next stay we stayed at Caribe Royale (another thing most were against - staying offsite) Well, all loved the space and the distance in driving was similar to the Value resorts.

Agree 100%

To pay a ridiculous amount of money for a 200 sq ft room just doesn't make sense to me when I can pay less and get a condo or town house. I want the added space so the kiddo's can run around & not feel confined to a small space, a kitchen so I save a few bucks & make some meals if I choose to, & laundry facilities so I can pack lighter and bring home more purchases ;) I also prefer to have our own vehicle so we can come & go as we please and not have to wait on shuttles or buses.

I get that some want to feel immersed in Disney, but at what cost? I get my Disney fix by visiting the parks.

We much prefer offsite to onsite.

We get more space, more amenities, more luxury, more freedom, more privacy, and more peace at our offsite resort than we would onsite.

Having separate sleeping quarters means we rest better and have happier vacations.

We have more dining flexibility.

We have more activity options when we want to enjoy a resort day (mini golf, bingo, pool parties, dive-in movies, farmers market, wine tasting, etc.).

We go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes, meaning a happier ending to our vacation. We never have to "schedule" a day by the pool just so I can ensure the family has clean clothes.....laundry is easy and convenient and a breeze in our villa.

All this and.....we save a boatload vs. similar onsite options.

Which means:

- renting a car becomes affordable
- longer stays become affordable
- adding more area attractions to the vacation itineary (Seaworld, Universal, etc.) becomes affordable
- dining becomes better quality and more affordable

Unless one is driving-averse (which we are not....just the opposite, in fact, as we LOVE having a car and exploring the area) then I can't find one way that onsite trumps off. Of course, YMMV :) .

We have been going to WDW yearly or twice yearly for about 15 years now. We stayed at POP 3 times and really enjoyed it, but I didn't feel like it was worth the money, so we went back to offsite with no regrets. Granted, we drive, so we have our own transportation (and I really know my way around the area by now!). If you're flying in, I would definitely rent a car. Even with the $15 parking fee for the parks, I just can't justify paying $100 a night for a tiny value resort room when you can get a decent room in Kissimmee through Hotwire for 35 bucks a night.

Agree with the majority. We used to stay onsite, and still do occasionally. However, even for my family of 4, standard hotel rooms feel too small for my 2 teens, dh and myself, and having 2 bathrooms to get 3 women ready in is also a plus. Earlier this year, we tried out Old Key West (gorgeous, stayed in a 1 bedroom, missed having a second bath), and AoA (loved it, theming is cute, seperate beds, and 2 baths but pricey). But for the cost somewhere between a value and a moderate room, I can get a 2 bedroom suite at Caribe (our offsite hotel of choice) with king bed for me and dh, 2 queens for my girls, 2 full baths (and a 2 person jacuzzi tub in the master which we love), a full kitchen, living room, washer & dryer, etc. PLUS I still get daily housekeeping, 2 great pools, some decent restaurants at the hotel. They do have a free shuttle, and the schedule appears to run pretty frequently, but as I drive, we've never taken it. Driving, it takes about 10 minutes to get to any of the Disney parks from the hotel, so we can and do come back to the hotel in the afternoon for swim breaks, etc, especially when it is very hot as it was over Memorial weekend this year. So I will stay onsite sometimes, but certainly do not regret our stays at Caribe at all!

I've never regretted it. We visit every spring and fall for 10 days and have always rotated between one trip on-site in a 2BR villa and the second off-site in a 2BR at SVV or WBC. However, our upcoming November vacation will be our 3rd in a row off-site at the Vistana.

Yes, it's nice staying on Disney property and I even considered buying into DVC for quite a while. It's great having the 180+10 for ADRs and the ability to book FP+ 60 days in advance compared to 30, but the money I'm able to save by booking off-site far outweighs the on-site benefits. If we were to proceed as we've always done, a 2BR at AKL (my preferred resort) would have cost me $3,750 for our November dates; I'm paying $1,340 for a 2BR at the Vistana. I will happily pocket that $2,410 savings over having extra time to book ADRs and FP+.

My DH&I own DVC but last summer we found ourselves short on points and heavily borrowed. We were supposed to stay with my brother off-site for a week and then he canceled.

We decided instead of not going at all we would stay off site on our own. We stayed at the polynesia Isles in Kissimme ( a timeshare resort - Diamond resorts) and we still had a blast. I think its because we know away around so well that it didn't even phase us. It was nice having the extra space and it was actually a nice change of pace.

I recommend going off-site from time to time. It can be a good thing.

We used to stay off-site in our early Disney days and never regretted it, as we always had a good time. Getting to the parks was more tedious because Disney was doing a lot of road construction back then. We always stay on WDW property now, however, two years ago, we spent our first night in Orlando off site. By some remarkable twist of fate, we ended up at the Peabody and it was really nice--ducks and all! We headed to the Poly for the duration of our stay but we really liked the Peabody :goodvibes

Update!

We have decided to stay offsite at WBC! We thought long and hard about it and decided to give offsite a try.

I thought WBC was not too cheap but after getting a quote from Vacation Strategy we thought it was a great price for a 2 bedroom. Even DH, who had really been against offsite, could not believe how cheap it was compared to one bedroom places at Disney. Now we don't have to worry about DS's naps or early bedtimes since he can be in his own bedroom.

If we had found a great DVC rental or gotten a good room pin code we might have done it differently but since we are going during Pop Warner week I doubt we would have gotten anything.

Thanks for all the info which helped us make our decision!

Update! We have decided to stay offsite at WBC! We thought long and hard about it and decided to give offsite a try. I thought WBC was not too cheap but after getting a quote from Vacation Strategy we thought it was a great price for a 2 bedroom. Even DH, who had really been against offsite, could not believe how cheap it was compared to one bedroom places at Disney. Now we don't have to worry about DS's naps or early bedtimes since he can be in his own bedroom. If we had found a great DVC rental or gotten a good room pin code we might have done it differently but since we are going during Pop Warner week I doubt we would have gotten anything. Thanks for all the info which helped us make our decision!

In March we stayed at a 1BR Presidential. It was truly fabulous. I think you'll enjoy your stay. Soooooooo much more room. Good luck and you'll have to report back after your trip.

We just returned from WBC after years of only staying on property and have to say.........sorry, but we hated it. We are the no-driving type of vacationers at WDW and rely totally on the shuttle buses for transportation and the WBC shuttle bus system was a total nightmare for us. Honestly, it almost ruined our whole trip b/c the whole process was such a hassle and so costly and inconvenient. We ended up having to use a couple of expensive cabs that also took forever to arrive, so an even bigger hassle. We also missed the "Disney Magic" of staying on property and found the staff of WBC, on the whole, not helpful and a couple of times just plain rude. It was very disappointing. We are Wyndham timeshare owners, but will be trying to exchange our points with RCI for a DVC resort from here on out. We missed the easy and free Disney transportation system, the free Magic Express airport transfers, use of the Disney Dining plan, Extra Magic Hours, and the friendly, helpful, and professional Disney CM's too much.....sorry! Yes, the extra space and washer / dryer were nice, the pools/hot tubs really nice....but not nice enough for the trade off the convenience, service, and "magic" of staying on property. Just different tastes and needs for different people, I guess.... :confused3

We just returned from WBC after years of only staying on property and have to say.........sorry, but we hated it. We are the no-driving type of vacationers at WDW and rely totally on the shuttle buses for transportation and the WBC shuttle bus system was a total nightmare for us. Honestly, it almost ruined our whole trip b/c the whole process was such a hassle and so costly and inconvenient. We ended up having to use a couple of expensive cabs that also took forever to arrive, so an even bigger hassle. We also missed the "Disney Magic" of staying on property and found the staff of WBC, on the whole, not helpful and a couple of times just plain rude. It was very disappointing. We are Wyndham timeshare owners, but will be trying to exchange our points with RCI for a DVC resort from here on out. We missed the easy and free Disney transportation system, the free Magic Express airport transfers, use of the Disney Dining plan, Extra Magic Hours, and the friendly, helpful, and professional Disney CM's too much.....sorry! Yes, the extra space and washer / dryer were nice, the pools/hot tubs really nice....but not nice enough for the trade off the convenience, service, and "magic" of staying on property. Just different tastes and needs for different people, I guess.... :confused3

I think you have hit on a major deciding factor on this preference -- willingness to drive. We would always opt to have a vehicle whether on site or not. I like having control and not waiting on transport. Others do not wish to drive and don't mind the Disney transportation.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We just returned from WBC after years of only staying on property and have to say.........sorry, but we hated it. We are the no-driving type of vacationers at WDW and rely totally on the shuttle buses for transportation and the WBC shuttle bus system was a total nightmare for us. Honestly, it almost ruined our whole trip...

Wow, someone didn't read this thread and others like it.

Rule #1 if you stay offsite: RENT A CAR. Hotel shuttles to the parks are notoriously terrible and should not be counted on.

If you are so set on not driving, you absolutely need to stay onsite. Yes, you'll be waiting for some buses, but at least you know they'll come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter