Do you brush your dogs teeth?

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
I have a 13 year old dog that has some tartar on his teeth. I don't want to let the vet do a cleaning since my dog is diabetic and I really don't want to put him under anesthesia. Do you have anything that works on their teeth?

Would raw bones work? Chicken wings are recommended for cats but unsure if they're okay for dogs.

We brushed the teeth of our first & second dogs, they did just fine with it. We just got our 3rd dog, and he isn't a big fan of the process, but I am hopeful!

Our vet sells a dog toothpaste which is meat flavored. The vet recommended just using a soft small toothbrush. And the vet's toothpaste is an enzyme, and he vet said as long as you get some on their teeth, it will eventually work its way around their mouth.

And, I find this way easier if our dog is lying down on our bed.

I try. I use a combo brush and one of those finger brushes.
I give my dog minties everyday.

I have tried to brush my cat's teeth... it never works out too well for me. It has always truly been a case of this is going to hurt me a lot more than it is going to hurt you.... darn claws :rotfl2:

No, I use that green brushless gel and a blue liquid you pour into their water bowls. I am terrible with brand names.

I wish they had that for a grown person I knew, he was so lazy when it came to brushing his teeth!!

There is another method that some vets use with out being put to sleep. I thought about but it is a little costly. The dog places sometimes does brushing as well.

My golden gets pulse antibiotics (1st month 10 Days/ then every month 5 days). He is not a candidate for cleaning so it keeps the bacteria load that gets into the bloodstream down. It can have side effects and it costs $60 for 10 pills each month. We have been doing it about 2 years (he is 15). We also brush his teeth. His breath is ok with this protocol. I took him to the doggie dentist and he appears to have no significant problems and has all his teeth.

Nope, our dog loves baby carrots so she gets two of those a day and that works for her. She also likes the little rawhide sticks, which she chews the ends on until they get brush like. We have the vet check every time we take her in and so far so good.

Has the domestic dog's mouth not evolved to get by just fine without human intervention? Do you see wolves and coyotes getting their teeth brushed?

Has the domestic dog's mouth not evolved to get by just fine without human intervention? Do you see wolves and coyotes getting their teeth brushed?

Wild dogs, coyotes, and wolves have a VASTLY different diet than domesticated dogs. Wild animals have the raw bones of their kills to chew on, which does a good job of cleaning their teeth. Domestic dogs eating kibble or wet food do not and are quite prone to tooth issues and tartar.

No I don't. I tried when my chocolate lab was a puppy in his fighty/bitey stage and he bit through the toothbrush. Which is no excuse for not doing it now. We have a vet appointment next Thursday and I'm going to buy the stuff and have her show me the best method for both my guys. My brother feeds his Basset Hound a premium food, and takes very good care of his health and they needed to remove three teeth that were abscessed on the poor guy. The vet said he was likely in a lot of pain, but wasn't communicating that. Poor thing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in this case.

I tried many moons ago, but my dog hated it so much I gave up. Besides teeth brushing, he is the most easy going dog you could imagine. I regret it now though. He is almost ten with visible tartar, and his breath reeks! I mean really offensive. I think I need to bring him in for a professional cleaning. They don't seem to bother him at all, but I'd hate for him to have any pain because we ignored it.

We brush but not enough. Our younger pup chews bones so oddly his breath isn't that bad. He does get his teeth brushed when get goes for a groom and I do try to remember to do it once a week but it is probably closer to once a month. Our older dog we are suppose to brush once a day but again don't because I forget and she can't tell use to we forgot so she now has professional cleaning every other year and has had something like 9 or 10 of her teeth pulled because of the fact she doesn't chew bones and the bacteria has cause decay.

We did cleanings as needed but as dogs age the risk of anesthesia can be a problem as OP noted. We could not stand the breath and the vet put him on the pulse antibiotics which is doing the trick. It was risk vs. benefit and I will note his liver enzymes are normal at age 15. All that bacteria is nasty.

My Std Poodle, Gracie, has to go in, every 2 years, for a teeth cleaning. I say to myself that afterwards I'm going to brush them, but then I forget. She is going in March 3rd for a cleaning and I'm always nervous about her being put under.

TC :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter