Do you brush your dogs teeth?

Yes, we use CET enzymatic toothpaste and also Petzlife oral spray which is amazing. Try the spray first, use it faithfully 2x per day and you will see a difference within a few weeks.

Yes, we use CET enzymatic toothpaste and also Petzlife oral spray which is amazing. Try the spray first, use it faithfully 2x per day and you will see a difference within a few weeks.

The spray has great reviews, just ordered some, finger crossed!

My Std Poodle, Gracie, has to go in, every 2 years, for a teeth cleaning. I say to myself that afterwards I'm going to brush them, but then I forget. She is going in March 3rd for a cleaning and I'm always nervous about her being put under.

TC :cool1:

Glad I'm not the only one. I think our dog's next one may be the last one as she will be 8 and then 10. Our vet won't even put the under after 13.

Also to anyone getting a cleaning that doesn't require going under you are getting ripped off. It is basically like you using a water pik at home and telling people it is like going for a true dental cleaning. It only does the portion you can see and not app the stuff under the gums.

We actually have a scaling tool at home. Our one dog who has awful teeth lets us clean her teeth between professional cleanings. Her teeth are awful...since the day we got her. Severe periodontal disease. She's had several teeth removed. Had her teeth done last month and 3 of her 4 main molars had to come out. Not cheap.

The spray has great reviews, just ordered some, finger crossed!
It really, truly works if you are diligent about using it. I still recommend brushing 2-3 times a week if you can since it's important to stimulate the gums but the spray will make a difference on its own. We give deer antlers for the dogs chew on all the time, and bully sticks for special occasions.

It really, truly works if you are diligent about using it. I still recommend brushing 2-3 times a week if you can since it's important to stimulate the gums but the spray will make a difference on its own. We give deer antlers for the dogs chew on all the time, and bully sticks for special occasions.

Funny you mention that, I also ordered an elk antler for him, very curious to see how he likes it. They said it won't smell or leave residue as he chews it? I hope that's true, we once bought him a smoked bone with meat on it that smelled horrific as he chewed it. He was in heaven, lol, but we had to get rid of it due to the smell.

Funny you mention that, I also ordered an elk antler for him, very curious to see how he likes it. They said it won't smell or leave residue as he chews it? I hope that's true, we once bought him a smoked bone with meat on it that smelled horrific as he chewed it. He was in heaven, lol, but we had to get rid of it due to the smell.
Correct, the antlers don't have any odor or residue to them so you'll both be happy! Bully sticks and the other fancy bones like knee caps, trachea, etc either smell and/or leave crumbs everywhere!

Correct, the antlers don't have any odor or residue to them so you'll both be happy! Bully sticks and the other fancy bones like knee caps, trachea, etc either smell and/or leave crumbs everywhere!

Haha not in our house! Our doxie likes the couch clean and floor clean. We catch him liking the floors where he had chewed a bone days prior and figure it must still smell to him. I do want to try antlers with him though because bully bones are being chewed faster and faster and man he is a chewer. If he doesn't have a bone he will chew on his feet so I try to get him to chew on something else.

We give our 12yo dog raw frozen marrow bones (once every other week, or so). The vet usually compliments her teeth, saying they're very white.

Haha not in our house! Our doxie likes the couch clean and floor clean. We catch him liking the floors where he had chewed a bone days prior and figure it must still smell to him. I do want to try antlers with him though because bully bones are being chewed faster and faster and man he is a chewer. If he doesn't have a bone he will chew on his feet so I try to get him to chew on something else.
Give the antlers a try! I buy mine on Ebay from " rb-gunnison " ...I've purchased from him for years and his prices are excellent. One of my 2 dogs (both Maltese) thinks it's Christmas when a new package of antlers comes and she loves picking out which one to chew first. It's funny, she will only chew one at a time (each one lasts a couple of months or so) and will ignore all of the others until it gets too small to chew. She's a very aggressive chewer like your Doxie and will demolish a bully stick in no time, plus she gets tummy aches if she chews on bullies for more than 30min or so at a time. Our other Maltese doesn't chew much unless it's a bully stick...he's indifferent about the antlers unless his sister has softened it for him. Lol He's very lazy.

Give the antlers a try! I buy mine on Ebay from " rb-gunnison " ...I've purchased from him for years and his prices are excellent. One of my 2 dogs (both Maltese) thinks it's Christmas when a new package of antlers comes and she loves picking out which one to chew first. It's funny, she will only chew one at a time (each one lasts a couple of months or so) and will ignore all of the others until it gets too small to chew. She's a very aggressive chewer like your Doxie and will demolish a bully stick in no time, plus she gets tummy aches if she chews on bullies for more than 30min or so at a time. Our other Maltese doesn't chew much unless it's a bully stick...he's indifferent about the antlers unless his sister has softened it for him. Lol He's very lazy.

Sounds exactly like our pair. Our older pup never was into the normal dog things and then we got her a little brother and suddenly she wants his bones and his toys and his bed. I can give her a fresh bully stick and she turns her nose up at it but if he is chewing one she'll take it out of his mouth and chew on it. Siblings I tell yah haha.

I tried to brush Atlas' teeth, but he'd rather chew on the brush and/or my finger, so I just give him tons of bones, bully sticks, antlers, that sort of thing. He also gets greenies (or whatever Blue Buffalo calls them) and hard chewy toys and rope toys to destroy. Vet complimented his teeth a few months back, so I must be doing something right.

Raw bones are great for cleaning their teeth. Just avoid chicken bones and anything small enough for him to choke on. Also avoid cooked bones and rawhide. These cause a lot of emergency vet visits.

Had to update, have been using the spray for a few days and his breath is noticeably better! I'm so happy it seems to be working. Keep in mind he reeked, so there is still some way to go, but so far so good! He's also chewing on his antler now and then, but not as often as I had hoped. He prefers the smelly bones, lol.

Be careful with the antlers - just read an article about vets finding a lot of fractured teeth from those.

Be careful with the antlers - just read an article about vets finding a lot of fractured teeth from those.

I've come to terms with everything being bad for them haha. We had one vet in our practice tell us to never give them greenies, bully sticks, hooves, or antlers. I asked my normal vet and be said the bully sticks were much better than our sog chewing his paws out of boredom and were a hundred times better than plastic and rawhide bones.

Has the domestic dog's mouth not evolved to get by just fine without human intervention? Do you see wolves and coyotes getting their teeth brushed?

Just because animals in the wild don't get their teeth brushed doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial to them if they were able. All animals have the potential for tooth fractures, gum disease, and oral infections. They just suffer and/or die without anyone noticing.

Also, domestic dogs vary widely between breeds and the prior diet or lifestyle of a rescued dog may also influence their need for cleanings. I did not brush my previous dog's teeth (although I did buy chews to facilitate them getting clean). They were perfectly white and she had healthy gums. A few months ago we adopted a greyhound. He had already received two dental cleanings under anesthesia (one just days before we brought him home), but within no time at all his teeth were disgusting. They absolutely must be cleaned or he will require extractions on a regular basis.

I don't brush his teeth because I want to pamper or baby him or because I have some delusion that he's a "little human" and should do everything we do. I clean his teeth because it is truly necessary.

Just because animals in the wild don't get their teeth brushed doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial to them if they were able. All animals have the potential for tooth fractures, gum disease, and oral infections. They just suffer and/or die without anyone noticing.

Also, domestic dogs vary widely between breeds and the prior diet or lifestyle of a rescued dog may also influence their need for cleanings. I did not brush my previous dog's teeth (although I did buy chews to facilitate them getting clean). They were perfectly white and she had healthy gums. A few months ago we adopted a greyhound. He had already received two dental cleanings under anesthesia (one just days before we brought him home), but within no time at all his teeth were disgusting. They absolutely must be cleaned or he will require extractions on a regular basis.

I don't brush his teeth because I want to pamper or baby him or because I have some delusion that he's a "little human" and should do everything we do. I clean his teeth because it is truly necessary.

I am curious if he has an infection or something else going on if his teeth get bad so quickly. Do you have a doggie oral surgeon vs a regular vet? Our guy ended up on antibiotics and it helped a lot. Hope they solve it for him/you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter