• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Die Today: Southern California, 2022 (COMPLETE 2/23)

I am a new Chargers fan. (I’m from Eugene Oregon😉) so I think it’s pretty cool you got to see this stadium.
Really impressed at what you are finding to do while killing time before your wife shows. What great family time

the kids and I made our way to the lobby and enjoyed the Official Oblivious Family #1-rated Hotel Breakfast (Embassy Suites).

This makes me want to travel to places other than WDW if just for other people making me breakfast.

We ate slowly and tried to wait out the morning rush hour before venturing once more into the breach of L.A. traffic. The strategy seemed to work, as we left at 9:30 and had relatively little trouble reaching Inglewood, just southwest of downtown L.A.

This is always a good plan for getting around LA.

Longtime readers will know that we have spent an inordinate amount of time going to baseball games and touring baseball stadiums on our trips. But this time we were going to be doing something completely different.

We were going to tour a football stadium!
:p
I feel like I kind of hit the lottery finding a wife who enjoys it as much as I do.

I kind of feel like I hit the lottery finding a wife who isn't into watching sports. Sure I liked playing them, but find watching quite dull.

Want to grab a beer during the game? That’s another $17.

But hey you can have three wines for less than the price of two premium beers!

One of the most impressive features is the giant oval ring-shaped scoreboard suspended over the field.

It's come a long way from the wooden scoreboards with chalkboards in the middle! Or was that baseball?

If you have to ask what costs, etc., etc.

But still I'm curious you know as how it compares to Disney!

Looks like that marine layer was burning off and the sun was starting to show through.

That's how it works!

maybe liability laws are less stringent in California

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

As you can see in one of the above photos, they had several stations set up where we could test ourselves athletically—we could run a 40-yard dash, do a shuttle drill, throw some passes at stationary targets, and even try to kick a (very short) field goal. We were also allowed to wander into the locker rooms of both the Rams and the Chargers, which were on separate sides of the field.

Again, I've heard about these sorts of things from the newscasters when they cover new stadiums, start of seasons, etc.

As I pointed out earlier, I’m not sure any L.A. sports fans actually exist. Our tour guide was a Denver Broncos fan.

The news people are able to find them... maybe they just can't afford to go to the games! :laughing: Are you sensing a pattern here that I get all my sports information from the local news?

the concussion examination room

I know concussions are a big thing, especially from that guy last week that was put back in and shouldn't have been, but I didn't realize there was a whole room set aside for examinations. :eek:

Overall, it was a great experience, and given the price of events here, it might be the only time we ever enter this place.

Unless the band gets invited to play at some kind of game, I doubt I'll ever set foot in there.

And I’m sure many of you will be glad when we do something that doesn’t have to do with sports.

Somehow I feel like this comment might be addressed at me.... :rolleyes1

Speaking as a non sports fan (from Boston no less, gasp!) the stadium tours actually look pretty interesting to me. I’ve toured Fenway, which was a lot more fun than the game I went to when I accidentally kicked over my $10 beer.
We did the Fenway tour a long time ago, too! That was definitely cheaper than trying to get tickets to a game. And you're right, there's no chance to spill overpriced beers on a tour!

Nice job on the field goal kicks. Persistence paid off!
Thanks! Sometimes our innate stubbornness pays off.

I am a new Chargers fan. (I’m from Eugene Oregon😉) so I think it’s pretty cool you got to see this stadium.
Really impressed at what you are finding to do while killing time before your wife shows. What great family time
:rotfl2: Thanks for proving my point.

We do our best to find cool stuff to do. I'm not very good at sitting around and doing nothing.

Yeah sports aren’t really my thing. It was drilled into me growing up so now I couldn’t care less. I’m from Massillon,Ohio. We had Paul Brown as a coach. The high school stadium is named after him. So as an adult I’ve had enough.

Also how old is Scotty now? I swear he was a toddler when I started reading your TR’s. Lol

Last edited:
You may be wondering if Julie would be upset missing out on this tour. While this was the one activity we were doing without her that she was most likely to be upset about, I did get permission from her to go ahead with this. I’ve learned a few things over the years—mostly that my bed is much more comfortable than the couch.
You'd probably be on the couch if it was an actual game. But a tour... ok.
She made sure we called out the sponsors for every room we visited. I wonder if they’re trained to do that?
They don't pay millions of dollars to put their name on it for nothing...
We wandered through various luxury boxes and suites which all looked very swanky and all fell under the category of, “if you have to ask what it costs, you can’t afford it”. There are many other items that fall into this category, of course, including my kids’ college educations.
I listen to the Pat McAfee show from time to time. I've heard him talking about his field level suite for the Colts games and talking about how he paid $150,000 to watch a team that currently isn't very good. I can only imagine the newest, nicest luxury suites would cost even more than that.
At this point, the guided tour was over and we were allowed to roam freely. As you can see in one of the above photos, they had several stations set up where we could test ourselves athletically—we could run a 40-yard dash, do a shuttle drill, throw some passes at stationary targets, and even try to kick a (very short) field goal. We were also allowed to wander into the locker rooms of both the Rams and the Chargers, which were on separate sides of the field.
This sounds like a lot of fun!!! I like the fact that the tour came with some free time to explore at your own pace as well.
While we were in there, we struck up a conversation with the locker room attendant. She was a Dallas Cowboys fan (ugh) who reacted with horror when she found out we were Philadelphia Eagles fans.
I mean... you work for the Rams, but aren't a fan of that team? Isn't that a conflict of interest or something? I mean what happens when the Cowboys come to town and everybody mysteriously has icy hot in their shorts or something?
As I pointed out earlier, I’m not sure any L.A. sports fans actually exist.
Apparently not. Except for maybe USC football.
Our new best friend let us into the lounge area as well, proving once again the old stereotype that Eagles fans are the nicest, most accommodating people on earth.
When there aren't batteries to throw, anyway. :rolleyes1

The important thing is, we made the kicks. Eventually.
#ForTheBrand

This makes me want to travel to places other than WDW if just for other people making me breakfast.
Having other people make breakfast for you is really underrated!

This is always a good plan for getting around LA.
I had originally thought the only strategy was "don't drive anywhere", but it actually worked out ok.

I kind of feel like I hit the lottery finding a wife who isn't into watching sports. Sure I liked playing them, but find watching quite dull.
It's almost like we do well when we marry people who we have a lot in common with!

But hey you can have three wines for less than the price of two premium beers!
Yay! As long as you can afford the $80 to park.

It's come a long way from the wooden scoreboards with chalkboards in the middle! Or was that baseball?
Well, that was baseball, but these scoreboards are pretty new for everybody.

But still I'm curious you know as how it compares to Disney!
I have no idea what the suites cost. It's probably on the level of Adventures by Disney pricing.

That's how it works!
And you thought I wasn't paying attention.

I thought you might like that one.

Again, I've heard about these sorts of things from the newscasters when they cover new stadiums, start of seasons, etc.
Basically, it was a series of challenges to show us how un-athletic and out-of-shape we are.

The news people are able to find them... maybe they just can't afford to go to the games! :laughing: Are you sensing a pattern here that I get all my sports information from the local news?
It would not shock me in the least if none of the actual fans could afford the tickets!

I know concussions are a big thing, especially from that guy last week that was put back in and shouldn't have been, but I didn't realize there was a whole room set aside for examinations. :eek:
It wasn't much. Just a couple of chairs and tables. I think it's mostly a place they can make dark and quiet if they need to.

Unless the band gets invited to play at some kind of game, I doubt I'll ever set foot in there.
Well, I could see that happening...

Somehow I feel like this comment might be addressed at me.... :rolleyes1
All I can say is, I appreciate your patience with all of our sports stuff!

Yeah sports aren’t really my thing. It was drilled into me growing up so now I couldn’t care less. I’m from Massillon,Ohio. We had Paul Brown as a coach. The high school stadium is named after him. So as an adult I’ve had enough.
That's ok. Alison and I like to poke fun at each other because we have such opposite interests. She can't be bothered with sports and loves fine dining and fancy gourmet experiences. Whereas I usually live by the "if I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it" strategy. So there's room for everyone here!

But at least we love Disney! (Except for their corporate bean counters)
Also how old is Scotty now? I swear he was a toddler when I started reading your TR’s. Lol
He's 16. Yeah, he can drive a car now. I'm old.

You'd probably be on the couch if it was an actual game. But a tour... ok.
True. But I started talking up how much we enjoyed the tour and I think she was starting to regret missing it. Oops.

They don't pay millions of dollars to put their name on it for nothing...
Hey, I think you might be onto something there.

I listen to the Pat McAfee show from time to time. I've heard him talking about his field level suite for the Colts games and talking about how he paid $150,000 to watch a team that currently isn't very good. I can only imagine the newest, nicest luxury suites would cost even more than that.
Geez. You could buy a house for that.

This sounds like a lot of fun!!! I like the fact that the tour came with some free time to explore at your own pace as well.
That was so great. I was stunned that they actually let us on the playing field to mess around. Definitely our favorite part.

I mean... you work for the Rams, but aren't a fan of that team? Isn't that a conflict of interest or something? I mean what happens when the Cowboys come to town and everybody mysteriously has icy hot in their shorts or something?
I don't think I met a single Rams fan. Like I said, I'm not sure they exist. And that stadium does get routinely taken over by visiting fans...

Apparently not. Except for maybe USC football.
I can confirm they definitely don't exist for UCLA football!

When there aren't batteries to throw, anyway. :rolleyes1
See, there's finally someone else who gets i--

HEY!

#ForTheBrand
::yes::

Or just plain stubbornness. Like, we're not leaving until I kick a field goal!

I flew over the SoFi stadium! And Michael pointed it out to me every time we could see it (like from our hotel room window at LAX 🤣). I knew it was special because he kept mentioning it. Now I understand better why it was so special!

I flew over the SoFi stadium! And Michael pointed it out to me every time we could see it (like from our hotel room window at LAX 🤣). I knew it was special because he kept mentioning it. Now I understand better why it was so special!
I'm glad you got to see it! And thanks for confirming the accuracy of the details in my trip report. :laughing:

I hope you two have had a wonderful vacation!

I'm glad you got to see it! And thanks for confirming the accuracy of the details in my trip report. :laughing:

I hope you two have had a wonderful vacation!
Absolutely amazing vacation! Kauai was breathtakingly beautiful. But everything else was a lot of fun, too!

Chapter 4: The Art of Killing Time

Pop quiz, hotshot: you have approximately eight or nine hours to kill in Southern California before you have to pick up your wife and son at LAX. You have three teenagers with you and one of them is only going to be with you for two more days before she has to fly back home. What do you do?

Well, first you eat lunch. It was here that I thought long and hard about making a stop at In-n-Out for burgers, but I had timed reservation tickets for the afternoon and the only In-n-Out was in the opposite direction. So we ended up breaking out the PB&J supplies while we drove.

Given my family’s reputation for high art and culture, you’ve probably already guessed where we were heading for the afternoon—The Getty Center, located in Brentwood Heights (west of downtown Los Angeles).

Ok, so I don’t normally spend a lot of time in art museums. The reason I chose this one is because Sarah is a graphic design major, has been taking a lot of art classes, and has been spending a good amount of time exploring the Philadelphia Art Museum over the last couple of years. The Getty is a pretty famous art museum as well so I thought this would be something she could enjoy during her brief time with us. The rest of us could either appreciate or make fun of the art as we saw fit.

We drove up the dreaded 405 freeway (Alison told us they call it that because it takes “four o’ five hours to get wherever you’re going”) but somehow managed to avoid anything except the briefest of delays. Soon we were parking in an underground garage and heading to the surface to catch a Not-A-Monorail that would carry us up the hill to the museum.

AL9nZEUEakYNnWBhFL9mvPkqRcnoRQsnTi7okADJ9xAR2KirbR8M8y7jPY9gSNfg8hPNLtZgcemfzhxLJ6G-5-auZ4GZlRKCAC2LXvC7-ZEd9_-U5zU0soa3gh9gFR8v1LfQy5nIcnWzVib8jB-HEeuFflUSjA=w1195-h896-no

The museum is housed in a series of very modern cubist buildings on the southern slopes of the Santa Monica Mountains, overlooking Century City to the south. I’ve never been a huge fan of modern architecture, but the grounds are really quite striking and beautiful.

AL9nZEUV4RNY2IE3oqzsly_gmkenosatjFxyDdDn7Q7R8Ke08kvYSv2wFaSYifNlI_WJbG7PpUMJdq3kr6UUje86-zwzn2_mRg9pJpkEhNZrbOQl0AmaHs-uQc7VK52ypwSrtCAzfs3HDq71o8L-ZD3Hg59CZw=w1195-h896-no

If you’ve read my earlier trip reports, you may recall that I have a certain inviolable rule about art, and as yet I have found no exceptions to the rule. It stems from the basic fact that I have no artistic talent whatsoever. Therefore, the Captain_Oblivious Law of Art is as follows: if it looks like something I could do, it’s not art.

The idea here is that I don’t necessarily have to like something for it to qualify as art. I’m not a big fan of Picasso, for example. But I also don’t think I could reproduce his work. So the bottom line is that the work should at least look like it was made by someone with a modicum of talent.

Now with that setup out of the way, I need to immediately disappoint you if you were expecting lots of photos of crappy paintings with me cracking wise on them. I looked through my photo album and realized I don’t have any egregious examples of terrible art to poke fun at. I’ll try and do better next time.

Part of the reason for this may be that the Getty collection is just very nice. And part of the reason may be that I was just enjoying walking through and listening to Sarah. She talked about the different styles as we went through the rooms, how this period was characterized by dramatic use of light and so on. I don’t know how much I absorbed as we walked, but I really appreciated her enthusiasm, as well as the fact that she was clearly paying attention in the classes we’re paying outrageous sums of money for. I guess it’s a good lesson that anything can be interesting when you’re with someone who has knowledge and enthusiasm about the subject. I’m sure that’s exactly how you all feel whenever I start talking about golf courses.

I enjoyed this painting on the ceiling of one of the entryways we walked through:

AL9nZEVpuniQXf-yi8CZERIfPe2bSqHPxnfNYNdtheGC3sKYj2Or1jEPGFOPniZdnZvECzCpstgYR0FLPbyhIj9LZP23AHg92-E7A5HsHn7wfcN7IRsOwlNh7vmoUMj6pGTcTi7YvEUqMBmKvs6RK4meqoFY9w=w1195-h896-no

I really enjoyed the beautiful California weather and the setting. There were ample opportunities to walk outside, feel the sea breeze, and enjoy the view of Century City (not LA) from the balcony.

AL9nZEVy38oM-WF1qHLlVEYVeSnObMzn1QMiZ4ergkztgLixHpa3mWi38hUJkQS1Jk7bZlGAXN9PFFNx3ysogq14wofaulR0q4l7Cn_Fj_5RygFZog3uwFlTFdpcDmou7A4CQ_vdvJhpsQKDKMvpdZaacnwd6w=w1195-h896-no

There’s a small garden area for guests to enjoy as well.

AL9nZEW6cv8cwGyBGHDQAillZdFjmee_E5gVBJvQvNZ4mBJSjzS6hwuozqSBm4mXwJIT04k4o_2U82rLDuYTVmUQ9GpQRWCQLULe2CREl-Eq9zneXIGjFBKsShDORQ9IIBTxQkK0k9MxS7YIFfOF2YeFn6fUnw=w1195-h896-no

AL9nZEUox4M1fHPrZhtIxj6vdOaFfxcfFi_9ASXX6l0IWIYA9kka3vfEY6nJq4EtUV0rV4YOOw9RJvhb-1BTD7yFd7ePVQK_FYQGl1Psgyuz_nNRQrq1FRo17WtM7YIoS05gQkoap8BuRl9_FSKA-fJv1qhFWw=w1195-h896-no

AL9nZEVn-lRpdemydB9tYacybW31MHKsThlR4ZyCpDKo0eBOsIkcFIVNeFNQPp9L9ZAdPmh6zV8jaoLDXXDiiGf1xtgpdANqugb7nWukbcLRmEZAdrjTtT7522tIUyJneqWH_LeNoG5eSrBwQ6EfSNNWtallWg=w1195-h896-no

AL9nZEW5aD8Dwti7OBXTwSSMkjxff8yRduBIZxBWh27zYlZSrKoTgSfVbh-Ivs1IC-9nW6a87a0zl_3uQW_LLmwokG7Zx_R6OPkjyuwGRO02ztJxZojyP-RiL0bthuaGj_PugTNFGHkY_YQtWp2zTQHL0MK-lw=w1195-h896-no

One ledge held up a unique cactus garden.

AL9nZEUvmvrBmXiakQFKQr8bR79CM7O-Ztif_5yng28-YGix-WqrJSVsqapqnGMPiYlgwPZF8Hl0xTwhMy3SaPEQhhvea3_KSx-TarEP9agSOVqrADojcphpjZJrQNLhC2SMPXDiNGHEyt5CA9TweaL1KAKvBA=w1195-h896-no

We took our time wandering the gardens and exhibits. I think we spent a total of 2-3 hours there, so it was a decent chunk of the afternoon. It’s one of the better deals in California in that the only charge was for roughly $20 for parking. Otherwise, the grounds and museum are free. Would I go every time? Probably not. Am I glad we visited? Yes.

We weren’t quite ready to eat yet, so we decided on the spur of the moment to make the short drive over to the campus of the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA). We thought we’d wander there much as we’d done the previous day at USC. We had to drive around for a bit to find a parking lot. When we started walking the campus appeared to be much more urban in nature.

AL9nZEWc69IIunjikWvvtsH7leRChzkqkJY2nsIStsWXh3i8Up1RX5YFu3ogUvXiXIWVXkM-oWLv2fDdMewUM0FWx6mcoP6FmjFl4XkflDb229dDPEM5VfKoRhZ02IOa6wBgAAQ-N8PGnI3VdwgRFgrJfPs8wA=w1195-h896-no

It took us a while to realize that we’d parked way over on the western/back half of the campus where most of the residential buildings were. We had to hike for a while to get to the main campus, which looked much more like a traditional college campus. I believe everyone preferred USC’s campus to this one, however.

AL9nZEW4sZHMhX301qEm3w8GEa__XvckPN4fI0-30ywsx51npEfE7kuzopDewxZTZisW0gKdfnMZh1GpNnxAYVw57SCiXrdyfSDQPY8pnefR6_QW3X3m4vHm72TxBj88ZJseaFQDeNZqG-VakQr6XxsFcoawMA=w1195-h896-no

AL9nZEUB5EHD0a1OU77Gc0FAGqdU1JXoUG2JQ6p4RHsX6U5OlyQwKwCnKxz0dHuZnYmNAUJBS8oMs_CUc-b7DrZBqlgsIeyTEIk0ecai6Rih9W7IxtoD3aq6546rV8RlxF4eX7IVU-35E86zaYdFHR2ayBqYGw=w1195-h896-no

We stopped in the bookstore just for something to do. Remember my buddy Steve, who had me get the USC football for him? Well, my kids found a little plush UCLA football and told me I should bring that one back as well and give it to Steve first. Would I blow five bucks just for a stupid little gag?

Absolutely I would.

By now we were getting hungry for dinner, so we drove into the town of Santa Monica and pulled into a parking garage at 9th St. and Broadway for a meal at Pono Burger. There was a sign in the garage saying that parking was only for residents of the apartment complex there or for patrons of Pono Burger, and that the restaurant would validate our parking. Good to know.

The burger joint is a fun little spot that I happened to stumble upon while searching Trip Advisor for places to eat in Santa Monica. I was sold on it when I learned that a) they serve giant homemade burgers and milkshakes, and b) the restaurant is located in an old military-style Quonset hut.

AL9nZEXND_SHvygqIprNk0lGUyVfMZYudfsbfNu35SjfFGkJen1ZPinWzv1U5lSGMBTLEYDu_3YhVMLERiroQA5nsU2pZ5c6ADtdo8P67ydYFPsdC90UdViZvdDtPKiMDECkegOw-W_f5KW6ZN1RqCTblvWOjA=w1195-h896-no

That’s pretty much all you need to draw me in—greasy comfort food and a quirky atmosphere.

I ordered the “Paniolo burger”, which consisted of a beef patty, cheddar, beer-battered onion rings and a “Kona coffee bourbon BBQ” sauce. Nothing to complain about here—it was really tasty! The hardest part was figuring out how to take a bite out of it.

AL9nZEWlTZuP5R5R0poWIBYW7p08EOIqZAjlaf06BSLRARSKZwOMH4NOVKMcpe2McmivzylYNTqqO7qk2-4pMosKwd7AHc0ycfL--f-xsXkS2YtfM612XJ9CwlTEgLkKkbcBX5irV6l3nJqFutqw2lhGer7VWQ=w1195-h896-no

I don’t recall what everyone else ordered, but I believe they had a special hot chicken sandwich that appealed to at least a couple of them. We also had to get some milkshakes and fries for the table. One of these was a vanilla shake with hot fudge and “cacao nibs” (whatever that means) and the other was a classic Oreo shake. Both did not last long at all. I had to fight just to get a couple of sips.

AL9nZEVm9_dhfcC3YjqqnDW1xekB3c0okWLue7G6nLy2l8huwdj4d5tNuwd2yVe16XETEUqtSSB30hhBL2Oym7vdcS2A4DXFdlo8NaX4jC639ZuLNRWxUdf-VB_FrwN6jv5726VEUsAxiW81iSdK3PqoblMFlA=w1195-h896-no

I know what you’re asking—was Pono Burger worthy of a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining?

Judging from everyone’s reaction to the meal: yes, yes it was.

ioeL4_DF4rEUA_f_cWX60Sg2Jt0lhN894TdHKDo2aVmrlO10uzXImh8G6l96smynybG-ZH2sQSzu6mHyNjVVFKW0jkiom7_C1lKkb9F5XBDKn8j5y2cbwPsQmO0p_Vn5tX0VPiCOigjCljTvwYd7HrmFRxfcD53aU8HyAr_qxBeyUNMBH3V8zvsqh5rLNvBXgRWDKTVAA0CoHK1MadJYIBb6k20tGA42okH_EVzg0Cg7G5YXl7mE46gegBJQCHiYWcyqZBHDOHZkABjuAouUxj1XelC2xHpGkD1ysGm4SD1ESVlflZ3hv1eQcVGS116mCh_aDXG0hrKy-yIM17yRuRVqZbExIDTv4cPARg3tx29uLdygKZb7FukMrFyGM9wCJao2bSxGCTFFNqJvP8NOwbFyoD_djism1G7mcwCe956jY1TTl2Muq1Zi7dahO54eECSfbOMgSastBFIn5BSMGdxdjcpgKuRwSHvZdxymO3ed0L0KYXj66dkeFviYW1szJFy_ylXxSeu2Fwd0jRUbIyUatgtfil4K0LqUMBMPMrlCQK2kl_wjV0Uk7_QfYnxanmWPFga6C3M3uM7vEaQF62tgqhhoAUfvfNRmm-g3BMJ3iJGMjaYqo82e_xMztCCzR6XdNNrr-8kz-4OLxSnTobSHKTIYIk3_jchcW0RhDI3VSkr0NKMl9Nbux6podn3j5qSw-SiLBEPL60oe5dYdBWJQIm4beCE5lzYHz2H1XjuHA8nyzSQ1Y4D6AYF-ZcZTETEJ0at42QN4rBhk3T8hRFqsA3P0MQ2IIAN1ezHZc7a95ELn2mlw39AtCz0smGxicayw2-d_A3eBvLtSZ8r3B-aQ0n57ZTUvhL5WQWjBCxlOJd9VfhmiXC7RKae2wtBKkSSHgpuTAFJE9Ou8K9bnTzLOqLHOcmqNuOHWujGsKfzh=w279-h320-no

After the meal was done, we asked our server where the best place was to park if we wanted to walk on the famous Santa Monica Pier. He told us just to leave our car where it was in the restaurant/apartment garage.

“I know they have that sign there, but it’s just to scare people,” he said. “Nobody enforces it.”

Sweet! Free parking in Santa Monica.

We walked several blocks down to the pier. That was probably better than driving since we needed to work off those milkshake calories.

Even on an overcast evening, the pier was a popular and crowded place. I’d obviously seen it on TV before but didn’t quite know what I was expecting. Basically, if you’ve ever visited a beach with a boardwalk area consisting of greasy concession stands, cheap souvenir shops, and amusement rides, then you’ve seen the same thing you’d find here.

AL9nZEW-d6zfGykpo-tdRVwuKYnczvDiECNoZ8TXL3SKomM4gwYw0WuQl3YgiVISU6Gw7vYU_HTyVl_nrjFCmRIfy-mAoQ4KOPhNpt1NdDjdEYEO1-LEetWx6xxJeY_3SoCXPWlz57OzhAUQhA0ase79rczIvg=w1195-h896-no

There were a few photo spots where you could commemorate reaching the end of the famous Route 66. If, you know, you’d actually driven the whole thing.

AL9nZEVKvTuhuPvhqH7lJC3YmPbzZkVIvAHDaE_34sESV18-rpUNlAzsdARhg2L6u_0X21dGzq9MqgOIe-w-FvZWEUnwhx2d_H5VfdC49T20GK96nFXrfnrTMoGeO58ILPM7EAmIEA4rGoolJPXfZwl5-BfOrg=w1195-h896-no

We reached the end of the pier and were able to look back towards the shore. I would not recommend waiting in a long line for that roller coaster. In person, it looked less thrilling than the Barnstormer.

AL9nZEU6IMuSbzWbhjRNRPUzvkARKOybsrWWHC48edUCUVgUg0HGpk3LNKY5WlNkxVahHgt_1gj0PFfj-bSZ-rx3h95KLdw_tKiSCTWmY6uLcmo0wHV5NTWBVypjYjC5QUwQrGFD2ufTC1sovGcrqfCuiPv5MQ=w1195-h896-no

Not being in a rush, we wandered back down and walked along the sand for a while. We felt a few drops of rain but it never really let loose, for which we were very thankful.

AL9nZEXQorTDg2d3T81vwNQM4S3q6x1OyCWfAG3RW-7whwxed0u_TTaVaDQy-cI2PnB3P2uQVynL-L_96K6TGUPhdJEnxmBzfDobdKLrR10OUAH7FEpCYyHdSIjtzuaxoxYywDIzURdL3SRu7z1IF6pw75Ljfg=w1195-h896-no

Have you seen those rental bikes that have been popping up in cities around the country? The idea is that you have central bike racks where you can swipe your card or use an app to rent a bike to get around town and then return it to the closest rack when you’re done with it. They seemed very prevalent in Santa Monica, especially for use on a bike path that meandered along the coast. As we walked along the path, we crossed a drainage basin that had at least 3 of those rental bikes thrown into the water.

There has to be a story there. There was a high fence covered in netting surrounding the basin that seemed specifically designed to keep people and debris out. So in order to get not one, not two, but three rental bikes in there you would really need to be determined. I hope the end goal was worth the effort. Like, a gang that had been using rental bicycles to menace the citizens of Santa Monica was finally defeated here.

Or somebody was really stoned. Either way, I don’t think they’re getting their deposit back.

We walked back through town to collect our car. The kids were begging for a coffee stop, so we found a Fivebucks along the way. It was about ten minutes before they closed, so I’m sure the workers were thrilled to see us come in and place a bunch of drink orders.

Coffee urges sated, we got back to the van and drove to LAX to pick up Julie and Drew. It was getting close to 10 p.m. local time, and they were on east coast time, so I knew they’d be tired. But with a flight getting in that late at night, I figured we’d just zip in, grab them and be on our way.

GBtb0KRZLhj6MqyELLoiSr0IZNlIXcWFfbotuo2uYauahX5dcMHsgonm7pxKislwa7N7S4wHylk3P3tbKh9H3bn9Q2Pd0ceeXnnUtHg23yt70EVlewtiCXAVRdU1Gg9DiRvbSKpVV23gdCWPU_sBE5mUiNQGhu3gNS-iTQ3-h2NLy2hWwwjvut19x7deloUShEUjBygtjir3A2Yv_mjRsBUIds-sWIpn4Gq5IqS4XlA1__Q5ke-_nmsRR9oC-fiA8-vriGakS9heeOZuV8HJkvhcBYTwzOlAsMSo4V7ZT_lSmrxp8shwIQN5mdrA3BfzuZAepRHGvJ0PH2gD4IPqfURHEbuy_eZrfRaoMsWPQ_bBTKmDQ5Yk5X7WZLOpBqdfizSSwY4ozeXsc3bRBzvT4D9Lza267Wz7guanjswf1OXkXFRuBb9xceIyujK6EXd7qTL3_Hry4JkkBxpZeMTklzDannhYkojzv_GTy5CetNEJ4okhiancH7yVQ1r_AKCv_qjnJvMAVsbgz9r08JSuJ0KzCu-nZn06xlgD79sD2rAoNdQFpD0qMdqv3_xOV_hSPtZ-EdotamgP8-JKnJAlaN3sr2EgSLDp1avvlQiZqbMAFzVMhsAyrcfN3NVr1XHT3JOKn8jBWYa7yd1QWDM0ea26eGD3QXhcyDxVOtBOk6RpGGd-Cro3fQDbKS0U5G06r8bYM9ViK0imYFN3OkFrC0aHZF3SgDiDML_dZWBkQw8Lk79zfhWWejEKOaX0Z5M-mtbsgAGcOF7gYHyjMf6VMeAkQ4g3X3D0-FaxIJbhQZP4usstiSCy2lt98i2OdYfDp2sV7nDCgUIVd1SFlk7Fcg0uH0E71YyUAnHXlyDOZeMHaWuCAKaIINBb26zg7EPbiZ-M9wMUUPqH2ahtlLAg5Vf6FZM661lBYCSvA3AFy-6R=w21-h81-no

What I learned was that LAX never sleeps. There are five lanes in the road that horseshoes around the arrival gate, and they were all packed with wall-to-wall cars, all jockeying for position depending on whether they were trying to get close to or away from the gates. It was a zoo. I don’t know how we ever found Julie and Drew, but somehow they eventually ended up in our van.

Now that we had the band back together, we had to drive another hour and change through the night to Oxnard. We drove over the mountains, and I’m sure it was very scenic but we couldn’t see a thing. The important thing is that we made it. That way Julie and Drew could settle in and get plenty of sleep before our…

…um…

…6:00 a.m. wake-up time.

Who planned this, anyway?

Coming Up Next: There are two stages of seasickness. In the first stage, you are afraid you’re going to die. In the second stage, you are afraid that you won’t.

The Getty then the Santa Monica Pier are on my list of places that I had to cancel! I don't know how my husband and son would have liked The Getty, but I think it looks amazing. And now I have a burger joint to add to my list of places for our next trip!

The Getty then the Santa Monica Pier are on my list of places that I had to cancel! I don't know how my husband and son would have liked The Getty, but I think it looks amazing. And now I have a burger joint to add to my list of places for our next trip!
I enjoyed the gardens and the view quite a bit! So I mostly amused myself with that. The art galleries I mostly could take or leave.

I didn't see anything on the pier that I couldn't find at our local beach, but it was cool to visit a place I'd seen on TV. And the burger was worth the stop!

I enjoyed the gardens and the view quite a bit! So I mostly amused myself with that. The art galleries I mostly could take or leave.

I didn't see anything on the pier that I couldn't find at our local beach, but it was cool to visit a place I'd seen on TV. And the burger was worth the stop!

I kind of thought the pier was going to be a standard beach pier! Maybe I'll skip it in case I ever do a Rt 66 road trip. That seems to be the only real reason to really go :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter