Do I need a CO Detector if we have no gas appliances?

ClarabelleCowFan

<font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c
Ever since a close call with Carbon Monoxide in a rental house several years ago I have always made sure to have CO detectors installed. We now live in a 3 story townhouse but we have electric everything - stove, heat, hot water heater.

Do I need a CO detector if there is no natural gas running into the house?

We have smoke detectors on every level but no CO detectors.

Not everyone needs a residential carbon monoxide detector. You should consider installing one if you live in a house, townhouse, or an apartment with:

liquid-fueled space heaters (kerosene or propane

an attached garage

gas appliances (furnace, stove, fireplace, clothes dryer,or hot water heater)

oil heat

a wood stove

Also, consider a CO detector for your recreational vehicle.

If you live in an all-electric single family residence without any combustion-type appliances or an attached garage, you may not need a residential CO detector

1. Do You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
First, do you need a carbon monoxide detector? If you use electricity to heat your home and cook all your meals, you may not need one. But there are other situations that can present a danger. Read this article from Pediatrics Guide Vincent Iannelli to find out more and learn if you should have a carbon monoxide detector in your home and find out more about the dangers of this colorless, odorless gas.
More Info
2. Purchasing a Carbon Monoxide Detector
If you found that your home needed a carbon monoxide detector, then selecting and purchasing one is the first step in protecting your family. The detector should be listed by an independent testing laboratory, such as UL, ETL, CSA or another lab. Here are five picks from Lung Diseases Guide Stacey Lloyd that fit the bill. Once you have your detector install it near sleeping areas, but do not place it near fuel burning appliances as it could give an inaccurate reading and trigger false alarms.
Top Picks
3. Use Gas Appliances Properly
If you have a gas range or oven, don't try to use it to heat your home, for instance. According to the California Environmental Protection Agency, these appliances pose more than just a carbon monoxide poisoning risk. They also produce dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide, which can cause respiratory disease. The danger here is especially high for young children. Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for use.
4. Never Use a Charcoal Grill Indoors
The amount of carbon monoxide put out by grills is very high. Even using one of these too close to an open window can be a danger. Follow these safety tips for safe grilling.
More Info
5. Have Your Heating System Serviced
Each year before you fire up the furnace for the first time, have a qualified service technician perform an inspection. If anything needs to be repaired, have it done immediately so that you're not left cold, or worse -- left using a system that could pose a poisoning hazard. Potential issues include cracks in vents, buildup on burners and improper installation.
More Info
6. Have Chimneys and Flues Cleaned
Improperly maintained chimneys and flues can crack and have buildup that causes issues with venting. The carbon monoxide that is supposed to be going out can then come right into your home. Even if carbon monoxide isn't a problem, not taking care of your fireplace can be a hazard in other ways. Creosote buildup is a major cause of flue fires each year.
More Info
7. Make Sure Your Wood Stove Meets Fire Codes
Building and fire codes vary greatly from city to city and country to country. The best way to find this information is to go directly to the source. Call your local fire marshall or other official in charge of fire protection and ask whether your unit needs to be inspected in person and what the code is for your area.
8. Open Chimney Dampers Before Using Fireplaces
You need oxygen to breathe, and so does your fire. By opening the damper, you create a draft that goes up the chimney. This will give your fire air to burn efficiently and also provide ventilation of smoke and carbon monoxide.
More Info
9. Make Sure New Heating Appliances Are Tested by Independent Labs
You've seen it before -- that little UL sticker or stamp on products ranging from TVs to electric blankets. Make sure there's one on any new space heater or other appliances you buy as well. It doesn't have to be UL, there are other labs. But they all have rigorous evaluation standards and these organizations are not affiliated with the manufacturer so the results won't be biased.
More Info
10. Use Kerosene Heaters Properly and Keep Them Inspected and Maintained
Use these heaters with the proper fuel (follow manufacturer's guidelines) and make sure that you are using the proper ventilation. In addition, wait until the unit has cooled down completely before you re-fuel it. Never re-fuel indoors.

Do you have a fireplace or woodstove? You would need a CM detector if you have one of those. Other than that I'm not sure.

Do you have a fireplace or woodstove? You would need a CM detector if you have one of those. Other than that I'm not sure.

No we don't have either. We do have a gas grill outside on our deck that we use several times a week. Everything inside is electric (stove, dryer, hot water heater, etc...). We don't have any portable heaters.

DH and DD have been having headaches and I have been dizzy since we got home from FL so my mind immediately went to the possibility of CO poisoning since we had issues with that at another home. Maybe we are all just having Disney withdrawal symptoms.... :rolleyes1

Would any neighbors have gas or propane for their dwellings, or is gas just not availabe to your area? If nay attached units might have gas, I';d get one anyway.

Related to the above question...are you 100% sure that your dwelling isn't 'wired' for gas?

We have no gas appliances, but our house has pipes running to it that could support a gas stove and hot water heater.

Why take the chance?:confused3 We bought one that is not "installed". It just sit's on top of our 'fridge. We check it each day to make sure the battery is still good. I don't think we paid more than $30 for it.

I wouldn't take the chance, I'd just spend the $35 or so flor a plug in model. Any chance a neighbor is idling a car outside for long periods of time and the exhaust is drifting into your home?

You might also want to get the exhaust systems on your vehicles checked out--it could be coming from them rather than the house.

around $30..in Maryland it's a law that you have to have at least one installed in your house!

around $30..in Maryland it's a law that you have to have at least one installed in your house!

Wow we are in MD and I had no idea that was a law.

I will get one anyway but on which level should I install it? We live in a 3 story townhome.

I will get one anyway but on which level should I install it? We live in a 3 story townhome.

The lowest floor or the ground floor. CO gas sinks.

*chuckle* And don't put it in your garage! Put it in the room attached to the garage (mudroom, laundry room, etc). I just had the fire department called to my house a week ago because we put a detector in the garage. DOH! The CO from starting the one car in the morning (7am) set off the alarm about 10 am.

Get the plug in one(s) because CO creeps along the floor, not along the ceiling like smoke from a fire.

Brandie

:wave2: to some Maryland people. :)

We have a carbon monoxide detector in our basement and upstairs outside of our bedrooms. We have smoke detectors all over--in every bedroom, plus ever level of the house. Can't be too careful when it comes to that sort of thing.

We have one in the hallway outside the master bedroom just past the laundry room which is the entrance to the garage. We have another in the hallway outside the other bedrooms on the other side of the house, because we've got a gas line that runs to that side of the house as well.

The $60-70 dollars is worth the peace of mind IMHO.

One thing to mention--Swiffer Spray will set off a CO2 detector mounted near the floor. :rolleyes1

BTW--Carbom Monoxide itself is colorles and odorless. That's why it's called the silent killer. The particulate matter that's often emmited from an engine or other combustion source is the cause of exhaust smell. The CO2 is just one of the elements in that exhaust.

My home is all electric, yet CO2 detectors were installed along with the smoke detectors by the builder. When I asked why, he said it is now part of the building code. All new structures in our area must have CO2 detectors just to be on the safe side.

Mmmm. Our HOA's insurance company requires us to have the fire department check our home annually to verify our smoke detectors are placed properly and are operating. I've asked, several times, if we should switch to the fire/CO2 detectors and each time have been told by the fire department that we don't need CO2 monitors. I know this neighborhood is not even plumbed for gas, but most units do have fireplaces. :confused3

It's also a state law in Massachusetts -- one on each "living" level of your home. And they inspect for it the same as smoke detectors when you try to sell.

I believe oil furnaces can malfunction and produce carbon monoxide -- you don't have to have natural gas. Also, you probably aren't aware of what gas lines lie underground along your property. We've had some recent tragedies caused by careless utility people leaving some valve open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter