Do beverages/treats really sell well at yard sales?

We sold cans of soda and bottled water for 75 cents at our last yard sale. Cleaned out completely. Now we are in Florida and it was June. YMMV.

My DD made around $100 selling canned soda, water, & cookies (homemade). If your yard sale is in cooler months...hot apple cider and coffee would be a good seller along with some individually wrapped biscotti and/or donuts. If you want you can put the donuts in individual bags (ziploc or wax bags) and seal them.

DD6 and DS3 sold canned soda for 50 cents and bottled water for $1 and cleared over $100. Our neighbors did cookies and they didn't sell very well :confused3

What a great idea!! I never thought to have drinks or snacks at a garage sale! We're having a neighborhood garage sale next weekend, and I think I'll run by Costco and buy a few cases of soda - worst thing to happen is that we end up drinking it ourselves. I'll probably bake some cookies as well, but not too many in case people are a little cautious about buying homemade items.

Thanks for the great idea!! Anything to make a little extra Disney cash before our trip next month!! :banana:

We have a well stocked fridge in our garage with lots of soda and bottle water. I just throw up a sign with what we have on hand and charge 50 cents. I cleared about $20 at our last sale. We have the stuff on hand anyways, so we might as well make a profit.

I personally would never buy homemade products from someone I didn't know. I sell Tastefully Simple products and have been in tons of kitchens for parties. You would be surprised at people's varying standards of cleanliness. I am by no means a clean freak, but from what I have noticed, my standard of cleanliness is very high compared to the general population. Therefore, I generally pass on homemade goods.

For what it's worth, I would buy a cup of coffee and a donut for sure. Maybe a soda or water too. The baked goods, not so much. The coffee and donuts would have to be less than I'd pay at the donut shop but that's not hard to beat. I'd buy a supermarket boxed donut too if it was about 25-50 cents. ;) Also, it's a deal-breaker if it's non-dairy creamer (ick).
If you could set up with a thermal coffee carafe or run a plug and put a pint of cream in a bowl of ice, I think you'd make money. Especially from those "early-birds".:thumbsup2
Good luck!:)

My 6 year old sold cans of soda and bottled water at our yardsale this summer. The yard sale wasn't super busy but he did do okay. He was happy with his earnings.

Canned soda, bottled water, apple juice/orange juice(in plastic bottles), and Krispy Kreme donuts sell well. I am not sure about the homemade stuff. Make sure you have a big sign listing the price of each item...one Hispanic family thought the food was free! My daughter(7) was too shy to say anything, so they had breakfast on us, and didn't buy anything!

You guys have been so great with your feedback! Thanks so much! I think the health code points are good to consider. I told DS that he would have to go with prepackaged items only, so I will take him over to Sam's Club this week to purchase his items. I do love the apple cider idea, since it is fall now and cooler in the mornings. I told him about some of the successes posted here, and he is hopeful that he will do well. I told him that even if he doesn't, it will be good sales experience for him! I'll let you know how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter