DLR Half-Marathon 2013. Who else is going?!?!

I got pixie dusted into Club 33 after the race! Yahhhhoooooo!!!

I have to figure out the other options. Thinking wine country and Carthay circle at some points. I want the WoC seating! Anyone know if the picnic boxes are an option anymore?

Forgot to mention I'm not only doing the half, but the Dumbo Double Dare. Looking forward to all the medals!!

I just booked Wine Country Trattoria in DCA for carb loading Friday night. Their pasta is delicious, restaurant like and not so much cafeteria. And if you can get a table outside, you look down Route 66 in Cars Land!

As I mentioned, I'm a total non-runner. Is carb-loading the night before essential? Is it because the race is so early in the morning?

I'm thinking about trying to book Storytellers for breakfast after the race.

As I mentioned, I'm a total non-runner. Is carb-loading the night before essential? Is it because the race is so early in the morning?

I'm thinking about trying to book Storytellers for breakfast after the race.

If you are running the 10k or 5k you really don't need to carb load at all. For the 1/2 eating more carbs for a few days ahead is helpful if you will be running for more than 3 hours. A healthy light dinner of something you know will not give you digestive issues is best. You also don't want to eat a late dinner since the races are so early.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

If you are running the 10k or 5k you really don't need to carb load at all. For the 1/2 eating more carbs for a few days ahead is helpful if you will be running for more than 3 hours. A healthy light dinner of something you know will not give you digestive issues is best. You also don't want to eat a late dinner since the races are so early.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks! This is helpful. I'm just doing the 10k this time, but maybe one day...

I can't believe we are only 8 weeks away! Time has flown by. So excited for my first half!!

This. :thumbsup2

A lot of people seem to want to load up on carbs the night before, but from what I've gathered, it's best to simply swing your diet a bit heavier on the carbs for about three days prior to allow your body the necessary time to actually absorb and store additional glycogen for use in the race. Additionally, a lot of the heavier carb meals people tend to eat the night before can end up causing digestive issues while running. . . :sick:

When you get around to running a longer race to consider adjusting your diet, be sure to play around with your eating on days prior to training runs to help you learn what sits best and what doesn't sit well at all. Trial and error will help you avoid any unpleasant surprises the day of your race!

I got pixie dusted into Club 33 after the race! Yahhhhoooooo!!!

Yay!!!! You have to take pics this time and post them.

This. :thumbsup2

A lot of people seem to want to load up on carbs the night before, but from what I've gathered, it's best to simply swing your diet a bit heavier on the carbs for about three days prior to allow your body the necessary time to actually absorb and store additional glycogen for use in the race. Additionally, a lot of the heavier carb meals people tend to eat the night before can end up causing digestive issues while running. . . :sick:

When you get around to running a longer race to consider adjusting your diet, be sure to play around with your eating on days prior to training runs to help you learn what sits best and what doesn't sit well at all. Trial and error will help you avoid any unpleasant surprises the day of your race!

Ditto what everyone else said. I usually do pasta on Wed and Fri before my Sun races and the night before a race it's grilled chicken and a small baked potato. But for a 10k, heavy carb loading isn't really necessary. You can for peace of mind on Thur, but as long as dinner is healthy especially the night before and you drink lots of water the week leading up to you should be good. :goodvibes

Ditto what everyone else said. I usually do pasta on Wed and Fri before my Sun races and the night before a race it's grilled chicken and a small baked potato. But for a 10k, heavy carb loading isn't really necessary. You can for peace of mind on Thur, but as long as dinner is healthy especially the night before and you drink lots of water the week leading up to you should be good. :goodvibes

I so appreciate all of the advice!! Thank you!! :goodvibes

Does anyone have Saucony shoes? If so, what is the difference in the progrid ride 5 and the progrid ride 3?

Does anyone have Saucony shoes? If so, what is the difference in the progrid ride 5 and the progrid ride 3?

I run in Asics, so not 100% on Sauconys, but usually it's just the newest model. For example, my shoes have been 2120, 2130... Last year they were 2170 and this year 2000. There might be small tweaks, a little lighter, that type of thing.

My long runs are increasing! Ran 9 miles today at just under a 13 min/mile pace. It felt darn good and I only added a couple extra walking breaks when I was taking my Honey Zingers (my organic replacements for the GU). Longest run I've done on my own though!

My long runs are increasing! Ran 9 miles today at just under a 13 min/mile pace. It felt darn good and I only added a couple extra walking breaks when I was taking my Honey Zingers (my organic replacements for the GU). Longest run I've done on my own though!

:yay: That's awesome!

Congrats! I did 9.5 yesterday and it was the longest run I've done since January when I did the Goofy Challenge...it definitely feels good to accomplish that. If we can do 9, we can definitely tack on 4 more. :banana:

Congrats! I did 9.5 yesterday and it was the longest run I've done since January when I did the Goofy Challenge...it definitely feels good to accomplish that. If we can do 9, we can definitely tack on 4 more. :banana:

Oof I hope you're right.. Saturday we run 11 then I really *will* start feeling like this is in the bag! :thumbsup2

Just over 6 weeks until race weekend! :)

We just made a reservation for an early dinner at Goofy's Kitchen on Saturday, the day before the HM.

Just over 6 weeks until race weekend! :)

We just made a reservation for an early dinner at Goofy's Kitchen on Saturday, the day before the HM.

We will be eating there early Friday, for a bday breakfast. :)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter