Disneyzellin through the Canal,12/9 - 12/23 the Wonder Final Chapter updated 8/21/13!

Have you joined the wBPC thread?

No, I haven't! I'm new to DIS, so I'm still trying to find my way around haha. What is the link? (I saw a few different ones)

ah...you are lucky to be looking forward to it! You will have a blast...what a great way to spend a honeymoon. Are you going with other people? going to link reservations, or have a romantic table for two? Very cool stuff!

No, just the two of us! I'm hoping that we have tablemates, as it's always fun to meet new people and to talk about your days' adventures! My fiance has never been on a cruise, so it will be exciting! This will be my third Disney Cruise, and I am beyond excited! Exclamation points!!

Well we be on the DREAM from 29th to 2nd. Funny thing is we booked almost two years in advance and now the price has doubled. I'm just glad I booked early.

We are still considering the very same cruise. However, we'll end up using our DVC points (we do on every cruise). Just have to wait until June until we get them. LOL

Ok Drew you heard that...two of us are already on or thinkig of the Dream NYE cruise....Time to get onboard and make it the three musketeers.:thumbsup2

I just stumbled upon your TR DisneyZell, aka Drew. I am going to enjoy reading your TR.:cool1: My DW and I are hoping Disney announces a Western Bound Panama Canal crossing in 2014. We have plans for this year and can't make the Western Panama Canal crossing, or we would go this year. But this will give us something to look forward to. If Disney does a Western Panama Canal in 2014 we plan on staying in CA to visit Disneyland. We have never seen Disneyland yet!!! Looking forward to reading all of your TR Drew!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Just starting to read but I'm looking forward to more. The husband and I are booked on the September 2013 PC and I'm trying to convince us to not cancel. I'd be interested to know what types of dinners or special adult events DCL offered on your PC cruise. I'm a little disappointed in the number of ports of call and am hoping we don't get too stir crazy.

We love our days at sea and excel at laziness, but eventually we find ourselves in need of land ho or our muscles being to atrophy. :lmao:

Thanks for sharing!
They do a pretty good job with options for adults. I guess it depends on what types of things you like. There is Palo which is the adult only restaurant. We normally do dinner and always to brunch at least once. There were tons of tastings and art of entertaining where they teach you things. I'll scan my navigators in and show you, but there is a line or two for adults only activities. I don't think you will go stir crazy, but that's my two cents! :)

Well, I remember you from DZ's last TR...or two...where I felt it necessary to harass him throughout. hehe......I also remember you being right there with me, so I'm thinking we'd have just as much fun. I don't think Disney would know what hit them if the three of us were ever to be on the same cruise. :scared1:

Is it the Dream or the Fantasy that is NYE this year?
I agree that DCL might have to cancel the cruise if they found out we were on there. However, smuggling within a spacious trunk is acceptable!

Enjoying your report..........

Can't wait for more.
Gracias. :)

No, just the two of us! I'm hoping that we have tablemates, as it's always fun to meet new people and to talk about your days' adventures! My fiance has never been on a cruise, so it will be exciting! This will be my third Disney Cruise, and I am beyond excited! Exclamation points!!
I think I miswrote my question...you can actually have a table to yourselves (just the two of you), or you can link with others (like Disers), or you can let the fates decide. :)

Welcome aboard!

Too many Canadians, Eh?
I'm keepin' my eye on you folks. :cool2:

Well being everywhere is part of the grand plan :rolleyes1
I am not at all surprise by that. ha!

Shhhh, Zac and Drew are starting to catch on.
:magnify:

They are almost honorary Canadians anyway, with Zac living less than an hour from Canada, and Drew living pretty close in the past.
I like your thinking Jenn! :)

Well we be on the DREAM from 29th to 2nd. Funny thing is we booked almost two years in advance and now the price has doubled. I'm just glad I booked early.
Yikes! gotta love when that happens. the value of your money just went up. Or you could try to sell your cabin. Wait, I don't think Disney will let you do that. Stingy punks...they want all the money for themselves! :rotfl2:

Ok Drew you heard that...two of us are already on or thinkig of the Dream NYE cruise....Time to get onboard and make it the three musketeers.:thumbsup2
yeah...I know...just not thinking that is going to happen. We *could* leave the kids behind again....but I think we might have a child revolt in our house! :thumbsup2

I just stumbled upon your TR DisneyZell, aka Drew. I am going to enjoy reading your TR.:cool1: My DW and I are hoping Disney announces a Western Bound Panama Canal crossing in 2014. We have plans for this year and can't make the Western Panama Canal crossing, or we would go this year. But this will give us something to look forward to. If Disney does a Western Panama Canal in 2014 we plan on staying in CA to visit Disneyland. We have never seen Disneyland yet!!! Looking forward to reading all of your TR Drew!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Why thank you, and welcome aboard. I would assume the Panama Canal crossings will continue as the Alaska cruises are popular. So definitely look for it. We would do it again, that's for sure!

Thanks as always for your continued Patronage of my TR. More on it's way soon!

DZ

Before I get going, and because this is a perfect day to do it, I finally have pictures of some of the FE gifts.

DSC_0044_zpsc6d55d4b.jpg
The many, many clipboards. Imagine, if you will, the space these took up! :)

DSC_0048_zps432c7f44.jpg
And the Mickey Envelope that was apparently very popular. :)

No big plans for today, so we slept in. OK, I slept in. Let's be really clear here, DW doesn't know how to sleep in. I've tried to convert her over the years, but still nada. Perhaps someday, but at this point I'm pretty sure it is unlikely to occur. I'm alway going to hold out hope however! Once we finally got up we went up to BBB for Breakfast. OK, so this was around 9am, so I guess I did not sleep in that much. :)

After that we went back to our room and saw a pod of dolphins swimming beside us as we came into Cabo. This counts as my new thing for the day because while DW has seen various sea life I had not. So that, in and of itself, was very exciting for me. :) Now it was time to brave Cabo.

Before I go on, a couple of shots as we arrived into Cabo:

DSC_0020_zpsad3b0680.jpg
The coastline

DSC_0022_zps9f3d1320.jpg
Some kind of castle looking thing

DSC_0023_zps87790d01.jpg
DW gazing out at the sea. Ah! and her nametag. in the lower part of the picture. those were the cool name tags that Jeff made for us. Nice!

These pictures, my friends are why I like a Balcony. :)

About 10am we went down to Buena Vista Theater to get our tendering tickets. Our timing was good as we walked in, and walked right back out again to head down to a tender. We hopped on the tender for the short ride into the port. It's funny, at this point I was thinking to myself…"why doesn't Cabo build a port complex so the ships can come in and dock" while riding on a tender that has 5 crew members. Hmmmm, not to hard to figure out I'm thinking, not to mention the amount of money the companies that own the tenders must make. So I believe I answered my own question.

We got off and went into the bazaar, or whatever they call it right off of the port. Lots of stalls of shirts, and every other type of thing you could ever want. When we did the Mexican Riviera, when we were walking into port the first time we passed a couple that had this shirt on with a big fish with really big teeth (well, the bones of a big fish) that said Cabo San Lucas. from that moment to this day I have tried to find that shirt. I asked when I saw the people on our Mexican Riviera cruise where they got the shirt, and went there but could not find it. Oh, I could find plenty of shirts that had fish bones and Cabo…but none like this. One of the great sad moments in my life. As my kids would say "we feel really sorry for you Dad" anytime I say anything. Bitterness...that's all it is! :lmao:

We headed out through a breezeway and passed a little bar that was tucked away. We had wanted to jump on the internet and use free wifi, so we noted the spot and headed out to run the gauntlet. What is the gauntlet you ask? It is the area just outside where you walk off the ship where you must pass 5,435 people (approximately, no way to count for sure!) trying to get you to go do whatever with them…boat ride, beach, taxi ride, you name it. Apparently saying no to one person does not mean no to the next person, even if they heard you say no to the guy before. it's like talking to my kids. Can I have cake for dinner? no. C'mon, can I please have cake for dinner? no. Please? no. but I want cake! no. Please can I have cake for dinner? OK, since you whined about it for 10 minutes and kept asking me I'll let you have cake for dinner. Check out my mad parenting skills. But I digress.

After braving the gauntlet we headed downtown where we had not been before. Well, that's probably not entirely true as one time years ago DW and I took a cruise before we were married and we went to Cabo Wabo. but we shopped around a bit, looking at what they had. the locals tried to intice us into the pharmacy where you can apparently buy anything. While it might be nice to get prescription drugs cheaper and without a prescription, lord only knows what kind of pills you would actually get if you were willing to take the risk. Yikes! No shirt up this way either, so we headed back and did the reverse gauntlet, almost as bad. No cake for you!

Then we saw something really sad. If you have been to Cabo you likely have seen the booths where you can get pictures with a tiger cub. Very cute cubs and I know there has been some serious debate on the boards about this because the rumor is that the animals are drugged. Well, while we were standing next to one of these we saw the handler take a cub out of a playpen type of thing and it was so sad. The thing could barely lift it's head…and not because it was too young. Clearly this thing was drugged, it just layed down and went to sleep. Now, my dog does the same thing, and I'm pretty sure he isn't drugged (I can't watch DW all the time!), so it is possible that it was not drugged…but I don't buy it. It was just sad for the cute little guy!

Anyhoooo, we headed back to that little bar, sat down and ordered some guacamole, a beer and a diet coke. Great guacamole, though to be honest I will always, always be worried about what I eat in Mexico due to Montezuma's revenge. We didn't have any issues with that because of the guacamole, but after we had it I thought about the fact that the veggies were washed…so who knows. It's one of the reasons that I don't really like going to Mexico…that fear will always be with me, even if it shouldn't be. Yeah, I'm getting more neurotic as I get older! :scared1:

We fired up the computer, sent a few e-mails, made a few changes to our fantasy football teams (it's the playoffs for us on this cruise….and it kills me that I can't do my research!!!). Finished our guac and headed to a store to get vanilla. I pushed to get Mexican vanilla when were are on the Mexican Riviera but lost that battle. Supposedly Mexican Vanilla is very good and tasty. Then again we don't cook very much…so maybe we are going to have to bake some cookies pretty quickly before we diet to try to get rid of the hundreds of pounds I'm bound to gain by the end of this cruise!!

So we grabbed the vanilla, and a little gift for our stateroom crawl which was coming up later in the cruise. The stateroom crawl was set up by Jeff, and involved us touring a room at every category level throughout the ship. No, it did not involved alcohol, although that might have been a good second tour of the ship! more on that later.

Time to hit the ship…always good to come home again. I always feel very dirty when I am in Cabo. Part of it is the gauntlet that you walk through, and I don't know that I can explain it any more than that….but I just feel dirty and need a shower. :)

DSC_0025_zps2b191b12.jpg
It's just a great ship to return to. I know the folks on other ships are jealous as they look at us!

DSC_0027_zps92b29ef6.jpg
and another...

DSC_0030_zps58877b29.jpg
Some scenery...

We headed up to eat lunch. We had heard that lunch was mexican so we were looking forward to tacos and burritos, etc. We headed up to BBB and were severely disappointed to find out it was Spanish…not Mexican. Significant difference and really nothing looked good. DW didn't get anything from the buffet, I got some Paella…which was mediocre. We both ended up with Pizza instead. We thought it was kind of weird to be in Mexico and not have Mexican food. I'll grant you we could have gotten plenty of Mexican food off the ship, but I have an issue eating a meal, or rather paying for a meal off of the ship when I already paid for it, you know?

Plus remember my comments about Mexico…so that concerned me as well. So it was too bad, but of course we won't go starving or anything that is for sure!!

The rest of the afternoon DW read up on deck while I went down to the room to rest. I passed out for a little while which was quite nice. A nap.

DSC_0031_zpsb367eeb1.jpg
DW was camera shy before dinner.

DSC_0033_zpse05f8ddb.jpg
a nice sunset starting over Cabo

DSC_0034_zps93a8be37.jpg
DW getting ready using the famous hair dryer. More on that later. Yes, this is called foreshadowing! And it also shows that when I want a picture I will take a picture. Wait for one coming up in a not-so-distant edition of my TR! :)

Dinner tonight is a Animator's palette, with the show…which of course we have already seen, but it is still pretty neat. I guess with the new ships you could call the show at Animator's a classic. I wonder if they will update this when the ships go into their next major dry dock? Speaking of which, not sure if the rest of our DISers can agree with me on this, but the ship is definitely showing her age. The paint on top of paint on top of paint, some of the carpet areas, among other things. We had heard that the stateroom doors were painted so much that magnets don't stick very well to it and that is the case. Adding insult to injury our new magnets that I printed on magnet paper did not remain straight in our suitcases so that makes it worse that they blow off if the balcony door is open when we open the front door, or fall off when the door slams. So every time that happens we move the magnets inside so our inside doors are almost as decorated as our hallway door.

I do still love the decorated doors. It is fun to walk around the ship and look at what the other people have done. In fact I've grown so used to seeing this that I am surprised whenever I see a door that is not decorated and I think it looks kind of sad. OH! funny story, I bumped into someone in the hallway and talked with her about magnets. She asked if we had any extras…which we did. So two of my magnets are hanging out somewhere else on the ship. Hey, a little pixie dust for someone else, right? If someone didn't know to do the magnets, how sad when you see everyone else with them. Reading this back, I'm not sure if I told you that story already. This is not good, I'm turning into one of those people who tell stories over and over. OH! did I tell you? I bumped into someone in the hallway and talked to her about magnets...ha! Just kidding. I'm not that bad. Am I???

I, personally, think Disney should point everyone to the Disboards to help them out when the sign up for the cruise. But that's just my opinion. :).

The show tonight was Buckets and Boards which, if you read my last installment you know we were not going to see. Instead we had something far more exciting planned. Wait for it….we did laundry. yes! Life is good for us! What kills me is I didn't take a picture. What the heck was I thinking???

We dropped the laundry off and then headed up to the comfy chairs by Cove Cafe. It is a great spot if you haven't done it, they aren't lounge chairs, but you get a nice view out the side of the ship. And if the amount of times the chairs are open is any indication most of you already know about this spot! We did have a fun time with the dryers…when DW put the stuff in it only came up with 20 minutes…so we got to pay twice to dry our stuff, the second time it put 45 minutes on. Annoying but it is what it is.

After that excitement we went to Buena Vista Theater to watch the 10pm showing of Avengers in 3d. I had seen it but DW had not. 10pm was late for us as I've indicated before, but since we get to sleep in…why not? Dw kept leaning on my shoulder early in the movie and I figured she was in for a 2 hour and 20 minute nap. But she rallied and made it through. I love this movie, it's funny, lots of action…and the Hulk just rocks. Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious and plays the iron man roll perfectly in my humble opinion.

Box #1 of Milk Duds was consumed during the watching of this movie. Only 3 boxes to go. The last thing I need is for DW to give me crap for bringing too much candy. :) Then again we have this HUGE bag of M&M's...and we aren't likely to eat them all. When will we learn?

Now it is late….quick picture of the towel animal and it is off to bed!

DSC_0036_zps177f7514.jpg
Cool elephant

Thanks for sticking with me...

Next up: Day 5 (or is it 6?) Puerto Vallarta

Well, shoot! I may as well just be reading a report by DH and me. He sleeps in; I do not. He has an aversion to eating food cooked anywhere other than our house, especially foreign lands, for fear the food (or worse yet, the cook's hands) has not been washed.

Thoroughly enjoying your report!

Just wanted to say, thanks for your TR so far. It's been very entertaining. I know what you mean about not buying food off the ship. With maybe the occasional snack I am with you 100%. I already paid for my meals on the ship, why pay for it again? I did have to break that rule on the Hawaii cruise as we got a tor of Maui from my better halls cousins that have a condo there, so we went out for lunch. Still I look forward to the next installment and to more insight of what they maybe doing on the return trip this May.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

OMG! You skipped Buckets and Boards for laundy!!!?!!?!?!?!?! Saw them on the Fantasy in October and they were hilarious.

Sailed with Jeff and Susan on a Med cruise in 2010. Fantastic people and know I can say I know real, live rocket scientists. :)

Jill in CO

I saw that big bag of M&Ms on the table in an earlier picture. My first thought was share..of course the wife wasnt around. Otherwise she would have read my mind and gave me her opinion of my weight again. Its not my fault I live in the land of the little people. My second thought was to tell u to put the leftovers in my stateroom for my cruise. Two problems....wrong ship and they would be stale. Not that tthat would stop me from eating them. What is the shelf life of M&Ms anyway?

Great update and I like the pictures. Looking forward to more.

DSC_0031_zpsb367eeb1.jpg
DW was camera shy before dinner.

You really had to put this picture in, didn't you?

Dinner tonight is a Animator's palette, with the show…which of course we have already seen, but it is still pretty neat. I guess with the new ships you could call the show at Animator's a classic. I wonder if they will update this when the ships go into their next major dry dock? Speaking of which, not sure if the rest of our DISers can agree with me on this, but the ship is definitely showing her age. The paint on top of paint on top of paint, some of the carpet areas, among other things. We had heard that the stateroom doors were painted so much that magnets don't stick very well to it and that is the case. Adding insult to injury our new magnets that I printed on magnet paper did not remain straight in our suitcases so that makes it worse that they blow off if the balcony door is open when we open the front door, or fall off when the door slams. So every time that happens we move the magnets inside so our inside doors are almost as decorated as our hallway door.

I do still love the decorated doors. It is fun to walk around the ship and look at what the other people have done. In fact I've grown so used to seeing this that I am surprised whenever I see a door that is not decorated and I think it looks kind of sad. OH! funny story, I bumped into someone in the hallway and talked with her about magnets. She asked if we had any extras…which we did. So two of my magnets are hanging out somewhere else on the ship. Hey, a little pixie dust for someone else, right? If someone didn't know to do the magnets, how sad when you see everyone else with them. Reading this back, I'm not sure if I told you that story already. This is not good, I'm turning into one of those people who tell stories over and over. OH! did I tell you? I bumped into someone in the hallway and talked to her about magnets...ha! Just kidding. I'm not that bad. Am I???

Yes you are as you did already discuss the magnets...but that's ok, I think everyone will get you a break (including me:goodvibes)
We dropped the laundry off and then headed up to the comfy chairs by Cove Cafe. It is a great spot if you haven't done it, they aren't lounge chairs, but you get a nice view out the side of the ship. And if the amount of times the chairs are open is any indication most of you already know about this spot! We did have a fun time with the dryers…when DW put the stuff in it only came up with 20 minutes…so we got to pay twice to dry our stuff, the second time it put 45 minutes on. Annoying but it is what it is.

The dryers were incredibly frustrating. Both times I did laundry I had problems with the dryer...the first time I went to get the "dry" clothes and they were soaking wet! The second time was exactly what Drew said...paid my $1, it gave me 20 minutes...not nearly enough time. Paid another $1 and it gave me 45 minutes. Go figure.
Oh, and tokyodisneydad, you will have to wait to see what happens to the big bag of M&M's...I know the suspense is killing you.

You do have a way with words. :)

Well, shoot! I may as well just be reading a report by DH and me. He sleeps in; I do not. He has an aversion to eating food cooked anywhere other than our house, especially foreign lands, for fear the food (or worse yet, the cook's hands) has not been washed.

Thoroughly enjoying your report!
Ha! I'm not that bad..I'm actually a very adventurous eater. But I'm not someone who wants to eat something in a country where I know people are known to get sick regularly from it!!! That's my issue. I'm actually willing to eat most anything actually, just ask DW!

Just wanted to say, thanks for your TR so far. It's been very entertaining. I know what you mean about not buying food off the ship. With maybe the occasional snack I am with you 100%. I already paid for my meals on the ship, why pay for it again? I did have to break that rule on the Hawaii cruise as we got a tor of Maui from my better halls cousins that have a condo there, so we went out for lunch. Still I look forward to the next installment and to more insight of what they maybe doing on the return trip this May.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Right...see, going out to lunch with friends is a different story. I would be ok with that. And I should probably get over my issue because I have had the opportunity to eat in lots of different countries but did not do so. Crazy, I suppose...but there it is. :) Let me know if you have any questions...

OMG! You skipped Buckets and Boards for laundy!!!?!!?!?!?!?! Saw them on the Fantasy in October and they were hilarious.

Sailed with Jeff and Susan on a Med cruise in 2010. Fantastic people and know I can say I know real, live rocket scientists. :)

Jill in CO
B&B were mildly entertaining. I think they thought they were funnier than they were. You know what, though? part of why I might have been put off was it was a "adults only" show...that wasn't adults only. In other words kids could have been there and not had any issues at all. Not sure what I was looking for...but that wasn't it. so yes, doing laundry and hanging out won out! Jeff and Susan were great to sail with, and I agree, we now know Rocket Scientists...and we now know whom we are making reference to when we say that!

I saw that big bag of M&Ms on the table in an earlier picture. My first thought was share..of course the wife wasnt around. Otherwise she would have read my mind and gave me her opinion of my weight again. Its not my fault I live in the land of the little people. My second thought was to tell u to put the leftovers in my stateroom for my cruise. Two problems....wrong ship and they would be stale. Not that tthat would stop me from eating them. What is the shelf life of M&Ms anyway?

Great update and I like the pictures. Looking forward to more.
I think M&M's are right up there with Twinkie's...though Twinkie's are now going away with Hostess going out of business. So I would suppose if you look at it that way, M&M's have a longer shelf life than Twinkie's!! :thumbsup2

Oh, and tokyodisneydad, you will have to wait to see what happens to the big bag of M&M's...I know the suspense is killing you.
That's right...you will have to wait and see what happens with them. and DW, more fun pictures coming your way in the very near future. :)

Thanks everyone!

DZ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter