Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That is a lot of people to coordinate, @preemiemama. Congratulations!

Thanks! After our family of 3 split stay last year, it was really easy to decide we wanted WL this trip. Didn't take much to convince the extended family to give it a try! If only the rest of the coordinating could be that easy... :rolleyes1

We just returned from a week at WL - had room 5010 and it was great! We looked toward MK and the Contemporary and had a view of Wishes each night :) The room was a little further down than ideal for Wishes because there are still some trees blocking the view of the castle but we could see the fireworks clearly (higher numbers would be better but there was nothing to complain about from 5010).

The one downside of being on that side is the water parade each night...we were up early each morning and exhausted each night so we were in bed early and the music from that water parade is LOUD!! And kind of annoying :rolleyes:

Geyser Point opened on our second last day and Roaring Forks closed. The downside to Geyser Point is that it was a bit of a hike to refill our mugs but the upside was the view while eating breakfast - it was a gorgeous, relaxing spot for breakfast and the staff worked so hard to make it a great experience. We had the eggs benedict both mornings and it was delicious.

The pool was fun and there were so many lifeguards! The slide was great - lay down to go faster! Hot tub was hot and the kid's splash pad was a hit. They had afternoon activities for the kids - my son made a sun catcher one day.

The busses worked nicely - never had more than a 15 minute wait and we really liked the sign that told us how long until the next bus. We used the boats quite a bit to get to the Contemporary or MK. The only day we took a bus to MK was for our PPO ADR.

It was a great first stay at WL!
Thank you for this update! We are headed to WL on Tuesday for the first time. I was hesitate b/c of construction but just had to try it! Can't wait!

I just popped in to see if anyone can recommend activities at WL. This will be our first time staying (me, DH, DD7, DS) I have one whole day dedicated as a resort day so kids can enjoy pool area. What else must we do? We have a dinner at Trail's End planned at Fort WL but we are skipping Whispering Canyon (DH wasn't overly impressed with the menu).

Potentially the most random question ever asked on this board but...is there an electrical outlet in the toon with the tub and toilet?

HA! My family is one of the weird ones where this is a feature and not a bug. So I'm very excited, because when I prepped my fax request, it was for rooms in this general area. I love bringing a cup of coffee out to the balcony and watching that dang parade.

Thanks for the Geyser Point review! We'll be there mid-June so I'm hoping Roaring Forks is re-opened by then, but I'm looking forward to checking out GP too.

We used the boats a lot on our first trip to WL and they're quickly becoming my favorite part of a Disney trip, in general. It sounds like you had a great time!
Please enlighten me on the fax request? For a specific room? Suggestions please! we are going to WL for the first time in June/July. I would some recommendations for room requests and how to do it. I booked a courtyard view. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Potentially the most random question ever asked on this board but...is there an electrical outlet in the toon with the tub and toilet?

There is one next to the right sink (I used it for hairdryer) but nothing in the toilet/shower room.

Please enlighten me on the fax request? For a specific room? Suggestions please! we are going to WL for the first time in June/July. I would some recommendations for room requests and how to do it. I booked a courtyard view. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
The easiest way is to use the Touring Plan website. They gave a fax service to request a series of rooms.

It's a very bad idea to request a specific room as the odds of that exact room being available for your stay is small. You should give them a range to work with. For court yard view I'd probably just pick something based on what floor you want. View isn't going to vary much, the court yard will be the view.

That's kinda what I was getting at. Attempting to have the hairdryer not be so loud when others in the room are sleeping.
There is no mirror in the tub/toilet room so would struggle I think, but you could just pull the door closed and their might just be enough cord to reach.

I believe that's available at Geyser Point. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
Yes, there are drink stations at the QS window, I do believe.

I just popped in to see if anyone can recommend activities at WL. This will be our first time staying (me, DH, DD7, DS) I have one whole day dedicated as a resort day so kids can enjoy pool area. What else must we do? We have a dinner at Trail's End planned at Fort WL but we are skipping Whispering Canyon (DH wasn't overly impressed with the menu).
This is the one area where construction has affected a stay at the Lodge. One activity I've often suggested is to apply to be a flag family for the day, but as I understand, this activity has been stopped while construction is ongoing. Further, they used to toast s'mores at the fire pit on the beach (which was also a good spot to watch EWP), but that, too, is now gone. I believe they're still doing family movie night over in the Villas section off the lobby there. You can still ask for a Hidden Mickey hint sheet which will lead you to various locations at the resort (a good way to explore). Since you have dinner at Trail's End, I would suggest walking (it's just under a mile one way) as that's a good way to have a little nature walk (and work off the calories). I've seen deer, squirrels, rabbits, turtles, and even a hawk during my runs along the paved path. Have fun!

That's kinda what I was getting at. Attempting to have the hairdryer not be so loud when others in the room are sleeping.
I just plug the hairdryer in by the sink and then go into the tub room and close the door. :)

they used to toast s'mores at the fire pit on the beach (which was also a good spot to watch EWP), but that, too, is now gone.
Someone posted a picture of the new Geyser Point restaurant and it included a fire pit on the quick service side of the restaurant. I don't know if they will have the traditional marshmallow roast there or not.

Since you have dinner at Trail's End, I would suggest walking (it's just under a mile one way) as that's a good way to have a little nature walk (and work off the calories). I've seen deer, squirrels, rabbits, turtles, and even a hawk during my runs along the paved path.
There is a pony stable that goes right next to the path and the horse barn has a few pieces of memorabilia to look at.

We just got back from WL and did not do the parks. We did all resort time. When we weren't hanging out at the lounge we did the following: Pool time, walked to Fort Wilderness with a 5 and 7 yr old. They did not have any issues. Found out afterwards that the bicycles are free right now and they were located right at the beginning of the path to Fort Wilderness if you would prefer to ride a bike instead of walking. We saw several deer along the path. At Fort Wilderness, we let the boys play on the playground while we relaxed in the rockers, toured the stables, and did the pony ride. They usually have hula hoops out for the kids to play with near Crockets tavern. The store also has a checker game outside you can play. We took the boat back to WL. We also went to the Contemporary for lunch and used the pool table, and corn-hole game that they had set up near the docks. We were given a letter from WL saying that while there was construction going on, we were able to use the Contemporary's recreation activities. They were also doing the marshmallow roast at Contemporary but we didn't make it to that. We also did the hidden Mickey hunt at WL, just ask at the front desk for the paper. We also toured the WL Villas and found the Carrollwood Pacific room where they are temporarily doing the movies at night. There are lots of activities to keep you busy.

Suggestions for which week to book in Dec that is typically included in pin code/ discounts? I have been very fortunate in the past to always get a pin code. I think I recall there were blackout dates but I don't remember

They were also doing the marshmallow roast at Contemporary but we didn't make it to that.

We did the marshmallow roast at the Contemporary in December and they sell s'mores kits for ten dollars. But the marshmallows are free, you only pay if you want graham crackers and chocolate, too.

The easiest way is to use the Touring Plan website. They gave a fax service to request a series of rooms.

It's a very bad idea to request a specific room as the odds of that exact room being available for your stay is small. You should give them a range to work with. For court yard view I'd probably just pick something based on what floor you want. View isn't going to vary much, the court yard will be the view.

I agree with the Touring Plans suggestion. It is actually editable so I tweaked ours a bit last year for SSR. I did request specific rooms but I put several on there along with generally what I was looking for (upper floors, close to elevator, specific buildings) and we did receive a room I had requested.

Sorry if this has been asked. Do you think Roaring Forks will be open again in late October/early November of this year?
The Geyser Bar looks great and we will definitely add that to our list of things to do during hotel downtime.

Sorry if this has been asked. Do you think Roaring Forks will be open again in late October/early November of this year?
The Geyser Bar looks great and we will definitely add that to our list of things to do during hotel downtime.

I would be very surprised if the closure lasts longer than a month or two. I expect Roaring Fork to be open by the summer, and for our trip in August, but nothing is certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter