Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

I don't see this new pet policy working longterm. I imagine Disney is doing this in response to Universal's hotels which are pet friendly, but I don't see this working. What I do see are alot of complaints and unhappy resort guests who have to listen to Fido howling through the night next door.

I’m booked for next July/August

I’ll probably be contacting Disney soon looking to move resorts

I haven’t had any email from them yet

On another thread here on the resorts board someone posted that all guest rooms at the resort will be open to pets. Not specific buildings or rooms. If that is the case then I won't be able to stay at POR. My husband and daughter are both allergic. Totally stinks because it's our favorite resort in our price range.

I think the best answer is that the service was that bad for those reviewers. Most people don't seem to have major issues though, just as long as you don't expect the buses to always be instant and you allow for up to a 20 minute wait (it's usually less though).

However if you try to leave a park immediately after fireworks, all bets are off! I suggest chilling a while in the park for maybe 30-60 minutes to let the crowds disperse and then head for the bus stop.

The walk from the POFQ bus stop to POR is about 12 minutes (although the total walk does depend on where within POR your room is located). Sometimes it can be worth it, but often not.

Andre

Agreed. I've never had trouble. I'd also say that if you want to leave the parks and go to any resort, you'll likely encounter the same problem.

I posted this on one of the other threads but my DD and I are booked at POR with her dance company in January. We're a large group. That could really become an issue if all rooms will be pet friendly and we have members of our party with allergy issues or fear of dogs. It would be difficult to move the group at this point, I would think...

All rooms will be pet friendly. The more I think about how they just sprung this on us, the madder I get.

Well this changes everything. Looks like I'm going to be trying to get moved to another resort after all. Hopefully POFQ has some availability. And I agree with being mad. Had I been given a heads up about this, I probably wouldn't have cared so much. But having this suddenly sprung on me without warning has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth with Disney.

Not according to the post on the Disney Parks Blog:

"We will also designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns."

Everything I've seen in print released by WDW has said this.

yeah this is bad...
I just booked POR for March. I have a dog, and I love dogs....but taking a dog to a place where they are most likely going to be cooped up all day long while the owners are at the parks? You're going to have dogs barking....dogs peeing or crapping in the rooms. Dogs that get bored and will tear up the rooms. Disney is just asking for trouble with this. I hope they designate just certain buildings for this if they are adamant about doing this.

Not according to the post on the Disney Parks Blog:

"We will also designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns."
I know. I spoke with Guest Relations twice today about this and was told both times by the CMs, who verified with their manager that it will be the entire resort. They will make a certain section “pet-specific”, but cannot guarantee a room hasn’t been utilized previously. Which means if they have, say 50 rooms set aside and 60 people want to book, guess what? They’re taking the extra money, and anyone staying in those 10 extra rooms a month later will just have to deal with it. I will never stay at POR after this. Or any of the others.

No one saw this coming. With all the surveys Disney likes to do to gauge guest response to ideas, who the hell thought it was a good idea to say “Let’s try this with zero advanced notice and without guest input”? Someone needs fired. I feel so bad for the CMs having to deal with angry guests today and in the near future due to this.

Are the preferred rooms worth it? How close is the furthest one away from transportation and food? It's a $330 difference for our trip and I'm trying to decide if it really makes a difference.

Are the preferred rooms worth it? How close is the furthest one away from transportation and food? It's a $330 difference for our trip and I'm trying to decide if it really makes a difference.
I have a preferred room booked and am wondering if they can be guaranteed dog free. I do not want to change resorts. It took 6 months of research for DH and I to agree on our resort. I anxiously await news from implementation and will wait a few months to move.

I like the location of the preferred rooms and the fact they are in AB. For me they are worth it.

We have stayed at POR, once in building 25 near the West Depot and once in building 14, the building closest to the food court. The preferred building was very convenient to the food court, the main pool and the south depot. But it wasn't a terribly long walk from building 25.

I would say that if you are going to spend all day in the parks and only come back to sleep then you really don't need a preferred room. But they are handy if you plan to spend a lot of time at the main pool.

I have a preferred room booked and am wondering if they can be guaranteed dog free. I do not want to change resorts. It took 6 months of research for DH and I to agree on our resort. I anxiously await news from implementation and will wait a few months to move.

I like the location of the preferred rooms and the fact they are in AB. For me they are worth it.

Do they allow dogs at POR? Or are you worried about service dogs?

We have stayed at POR, once in building 25 near the West Depot and once in building 14, the building closest to the food court. The preferred building was very convenient to the food court, the main pool and the south depot. But it wasn't a terribly long walk from building 25.

I would say that if you are going to spend all day in the parks and only come back to sleep then you really don't need a preferred room. But they are handy if you plan to spend a lot of time at the main pool.

We're not likely to spend the whole day at the park. Probably more like half a day. I have fibromyalgia and I'm worried about all the walking. We book longer trips and usually only do two parks so that we can be a bit more leisurely about it. I know by comparison to how big the parks are the resort seems silly to worry about. But I'd rather save my energy for the parks.

If they are really convenient they sound great. Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter