Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I returned a week ago from a 5 night stay here. It was my first ever trip staying at a Disney resort, and I brought my Mother in Law for her first ever Disney trip, just the two of us. DH and I are experienced Disney peeps, but the resort thing was totally new. Add to that both MIL and I were on ECVs for mobility issues, and I was a bit concerned how we would do with Disney transport only. (I'm accustomed to scooters, it was her first time).

First I'd like to say THANK YOU for such a thorough and awesome thread. I have lived on this thread since I booked the holiday last May, and it took a lot of the guesswork and uncertainty out of everything.

We both LOVED the resort. So much so that I said to DH that in future I would rather spend 5 or 6 nights here than the 2-3 nights we had planned to stay at Poly in future. I loved the theming, the atmosphere, the CM's (speaking of which I need to find the info on how to send a special thank you to CMs who made our stay awesome).

Our beds were fine (and with my back I'm fussy about my bed). We managed to move the table and one chair up by the bed (beside the door) which gave us room for both scooters by the plug where the table normally lived. The second chair sat in the bathroom area. We had plenty of room still with that arrangement.

I didn't get the room request I had faxed by touring plans, but did get the building, floor and close to transport and not too far from the food court, just the opposite side of the building from the request. It was fine.

I wish we had a longer stay (coming from the UK), but this was what the budget could stretch to for the surprise trip. It would have been nice to take advantage of some of the facilities or have a crash morning.

We had no issues with buses and scooters. We did rope drop most days and EMH. I got us to the bus stop for 7am on the EMH days and we were about the first there. We managed to get both scooter on the buses, only having to wait once for the next bus as spaces were already taken. The Epcot EMH bus was full, and there were several scooters and wheelchairs in the queue. We got the first bus, but I did request that they try and get another asap. I felt bad for those who had to wait. The morning CMs helping at the bus stops were great.

One night they combined the two PO resorts as it was one of the last buses, and they did change it to drop FQ last so they didn't have to empty the bus for us to get off first.

I thought the food court was awesome. The MYO spaghetti, the beniegts (sp?) the breakfasts, lunch, I had no issues with the food that we did have at different times of day.

Seriously I could go on. We did have an issue our last night. Two giant bags of trash left outside our room. I called housekeeping and the night shift manager from housekeeping came by personally to apologise that they had been missed and took them away. A couple of things in the room kept getting left by mousekeeping (some cutlery I had brought back from the food court, and a takeaway box that I left on the desk rather than putting in the trash) that I would have thought they would have taken away, but no big deal, and when I left a note asking for extra toiletries she left us loads.

I went hoping to enjoy it, expecting the bus service to put me off, and thinking it would be a one and done and that DH and I would continue to rent a house off site for similar (if not cheaper), and instead I left having had such a great experience that I definitely want to do it again. We couldn't afford the full two weeks we stay, but for the first 5 nights it would be awesome.

Oh, a side note, the Magicbands were still the old style (we arrived Feb 27th) and they said that's all they'd seen for foreign guests picking up,at the hotel. I do know another hotel had given out the new ones a week previously. Not sure what the situation is now.

So, thanks again for all the great insight given here. I'll still be stopping by. I'm sorry to read others did not have the same experience we did. But I'm so glad I was able to give my MIL her dream trip of a lifetime and that staying at POFQ was a huge part of it.
Glad you had a great time! We stayed there on our first trip last October and loved it as well! I have a question for you regarding the two scooters. Were you able to plug both into the one outlet by the table to charge? I will be going down there next week with my mother and we will both also have ECVs (from Walker Mobility) and that's the only thing I'm not sure about. I know they will fit in the room fine. Just not sure if it's "safe" for the one plug to charge both.

Glad you had a great time! We stayed there on our first trip last October and loved it as well! I have a question for you regarding the two scooters. Were you able to plug both into the one outlet by the table to charge? I will be going down there next week with my mother and we will both also have ECVs (from Walker Mobility) and that's the only thing I'm not sure about. I know they will fit in the room fine. Just not sure if it's "safe" for the one plug to charge both.
Yes, I unplugged the coffee maker and plugged both scooters into the two sockets in the one outlet and we had no issues. They charged fine overnight :). They do say not to use extension cords, esp surge protected ones as they can cause issues, which is why I was glad I could get them both close to an outlet.

Have a great trip!

We are a family of 4. The kids are 20 and 22 so we do not need to be close to the pool, or a garden view .We would like to possibly request a room/section in building 4 seeing that it is the closet to the main building and buses. Do I call or fax a request in? Can anyone suggest a specific area where we would like and what floor is best?
Thank you!

Just checked out of POFQ yesterday and had such a great stay! We were a party of three in one room and we were put in building 7. There was enough space for all of us and the walk to the buses wasn't bad at all. Everything was great except when we first got to our room there was old food in the fridge. I wish housekeeping would have taken care of it but it didn't bother me too much.

I will stay here again for sure :goodvibes

Just checked out of POFQ yesterday and had such a great stay! We were a party of three in one room and we were put in building 7. There was enough space for all of us and the walk to the buses wasn't bad at all. Everything was great except when we first got to our room there was old food in the fridge. I wish housekeeping would have taken care of it but it didn't bother me too much.

I will stay here again for sure :goodvibes
LOL! They weren't even kind enough to leave some beer? :)

Yes, I unplugged the coffee maker and plugged both scooters into the two sockets in the one outlet and we had no issues. They charged fine overnight :). They do say not to use extension cords, esp surge protected ones as they can cause issues, which is why I was glad I could get them both close to an outlet.

Have a great trip!
Thank you! That takes a load off my mind :)

Only 11 days to go until we (my dd and I for her graduation trip) check in! Very excited to stay here :-) I have not done any room requests and will be happy with whatever they assign to be honest!

PO French Quarter is probably our favorite resort, & we've stayed at the Contemporary, Poly & AK. The deluxe resorts are great, but we decided it really ends up being a waste of money as we spend most of our time in the parks. We stayed at PO 1/22-1/28/17 and it was less than half of what AK cost us in 2008. We thoroughly enjoyed the AK, we are animal lovers, but we felt guilty spending that much on a room. We haven't stayed at PO in probably 21 yrs, so I'm sure part of our enjoyment this trip was a bit of nostalgia. The theme is great & the location is as well, it is the first stop coming from the parks. The food was better than our last trip to PO. I noticed that the Kennel is across the street not to far from the resort, if you're traveling with a dog.

Could anyone direct me to updated Sassagoula photos?
Like, photos taken within the last month or so? I can only find the ones from last year (when it was still incomplete but re-opened).

Thank you!

Could anyone direct me to updated Sassagoula photos?
Like, photos taken within the last month or so? I can only find the ones from last year (when it was still incomplete but re-opened).

Not much has changed apart from the addition of a few overhead light fittings, sort of chandeliers made of glass baubles and glass bottles.

upload_2017-3-19_7-52-21.png

upload_2017-3-19_7-53-14.png

Oh, and the chairs are wooden now rather than metal, but that happened very soon after the food court re-opened.

Andre

I like those lighting accents. They are pretty and they add an aesthetic appeal to the what was previously a fairly barren ceiling. They add a splash of color without being overwhelming.

Not much has changed apart from the addition of a few overhead light fittings, sort of chandeliers made of glass baubles and glass bottles.

View attachment 226273
Oh, and the chairs are wooden now rather than metal, but that happened very soon after the food court re-opened.

Andre

I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the masks and other decorations.

Andre
Oh, I like those cealing decorations in the first photo, they remind me of Marci gras beads!
The bottle one is cute too.
I'm released there is a bit more color and theming now.

May I ask when these photos were taken?

I like those lighting accents. They are pretty and they add an aesthetic appeal to the what was previously a fairly barren ceiling. They add a splash of color without being overwhelming.
I completely agree

I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the masks and other decorations.
From before the remodel? I agree, but with a few less, just to make it feel less cluttered

We are a family of 4. The kids are 20 and 22 so we do not need to be close to the pool, or a garden view .We would like to possibly request a room/section in building 4 seeing that it is the closet to the main building and buses. Do I call or fax a request in? Can anyone suggest a specific area where we would like and what floor is best?
Thank you!
Building 4 is a great request. We had a corner room on 3rd floor over looking food court and very close to bus stop. It was a garden view category. It was also very close to hot tub and pool.

So we are at POFQ right now for our second trip to Disney... originally we had booked the All Stars (where we stayed the first time) but changed resorts as a splurge since we're celebrating my college graduation. That being said...

I wish we would have stayed at the All Stars. There is nothing special about this resort to justify the extra $800ish USD (and since we're Canadian and the dollar sucks it's closer to $1200 extra). And there have been already a handful of times we have said "all stars did this better"

1) The food court is not good. We struggle EVERY time we're here for a meal to find something and when we do eat it, it is NOT good. We had that breakfast croisssant the first morning and it was so soggy and kind of made me feel queasy the rest of the morning. Fiancé said the same thing.

2) Lazy house keeping. Yeah, sure our bed and towels are cleaned, but it's the small things like the Mickey shaped towels that get put on one bed and never get redone (we messed it up by accident and it stayed unravelled for 2 days on the bed until I finally got fed up and threw the towels in a pile to be cleaned up). I just remember last time we came we looked forward to what towel shape they'd leave that day but instead we have a pile of unravelled towels that never got picked up. Again, not necessary but come on it's literally the first thing you see in the doorway. To me it screams lazy. And there was garbage on the floor in the bathroom which was kind of annoying to see

3) Bus lines in the morning are not fun. There's no designated lines for each park so people awkwardly hover and then mad dash to the front of the "line" even though people have been waiting for 20+ minutes. Also in the transportation category, this isn't necessarily because of the resort (or maybe it is idk) but our first night we decided to go to Disney springs and take the boat. One boat passed right by us. Another Picked us up, drove us to riverside and then the driver made us switch boats bc he wasn't going to springs. Yet when we got there he was already there waiting for other passengers! We could have saved 20 mins if he had let us go with him.

4) oh and not necessarily POFQ related but our luggage didn't come until 2am which was annoying

It seems so trivial to complain about this (and no I haven't complained becauase, whatever, they're not big issues just some thoughts I had) but we had a way better time at a value resort which to me is kind of sad. This was supposed to be a splurge vacation and I honestly don't get how people enjoy staying here. It's nothing special and not worth the extra $$$ in our opinion.

Sorry, rant over..
So sorry you didn't enjoy POFQ. Bad housekeeping can happen at any resort, from value to deluxe. I'd say 90% of my stays in WDW had great housekeeping. But not all are stellar. If you are having a problem with housekeeping its best to go to the front desk and have the issue addressed right away.

It's a individual pref but I've always found that POFQ had good food options. Also like the Riverside food court. Can't speak for the breakfast crossaint but the beignets are great!! We usually have breakfast in our room. I pack cereal.
But we've enjoyed both lunch and dinner options at resort. We aren't park commandos and usually enjoy a mid day break back at resort to enjoy the pool. So can be around for lunch or dinner occas.

I prefer the moderate and deluxe bus transportation. I hate the cattle line at the values standing out in the hot sun, rain, whatever to wait. It's all a personal pref.
Boats can be confusing. Hsve to ask before you get on if they're going to Dieney Springs or Riverside. As you found out, it's easy to get on the wrong boat if you don't know.

I hear you on our CAD. As much as I love the POR resorts, our next trip is booked at Pop. With our horrible exchange rate I just can't justify the extra cost. We have a 10 day stay. But happy at least for the Canadian Park ticket offer.

As for luggage, many recommend picking up your luggage at airport and take it on DME if you are arriving at night. Or pack your essentials for the night and a change of clothes in your carry on, and ask front desk to hold your luggage delivery till morning. When you wake up you can phone Bell Service to bring it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter