Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

So we are at POFQ right now for our second trip to Disney... originally we had booked the All Stars (where we stayed the first time) but changed resorts as a splurge since we're celebrating my college graduation. That being said...

I wish we would have stayed at the All Stars. There is nothing special about this resort to justify the extra $800ish USD (and since we're Canadian and the dollar sucks it's closer to $1200 extra). And there have been already a handful of times we have said "all stars did this better"
I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying your celebration splurge at POFQ. As a Canadian, I 'get' the dollar thing! Each person has their own likes/dislikes resort. You now know that, at this time of your life, the Values are the best choice for you. That may change in the future (mine did). Values have a lot going for them eg. immersion in Disney films/icons, great food courts. Others have different wants in the forefront eg. monorail access, queen beds, sit down restaurant onsite. Thankfully, Disney has a wide choice to suit everyone. Congratulations on your graduation! :banana::cheer2:

My kids caught a glimpse of the pool in a youtube advertisement. This is their chosen Disney Resort hotel.
My questions are long shots but here goes
1. Is there any planned refurbishment to change the dragon (I believe it might be sea snake, but they said dragon)? This is the main draw.
2. I can see carpeting in most Disney rooms including this one. One fan site mentions that this might go away for wood floor/laminate. Either this year or next. True? We come with plethora of respiratory medications and devices. Carpet and my youngest are not friends. Medical clearance for Disney trip maybe not until 2019 anyway.
3. How does the boat service to Disney Springs work? Does it only run until 4PM? Example: if I wanted to take them for late afternoon/dinner we could take the boat there but take the bus back?
4. Are the Coke Freestyle machines still there/staying? (It's the little things when you're a kid).

Andre says the last boat leaves Disney springs at 11:30. He knows best! Portorleans.org will have a lot of great info for you.

Since we are talking about the boat to Disney springs, when does it start running? 10:30am? If want to get breakfast there before that, would we have to take a bus? Is that possible? Have a baby and not planning to bring car seat

1. Is there any planned refurbishment to change the dragon (I believe it might be sea snake, but they said dragon)? This is the main draw.
2. I can see carpeting in most Disney rooms including this one. One fan site mentions that this might go away for wood floor/laminate. Either this year or next. True? We come with plethora of respiratory medications and devices. Carpet and my youngest are not friends. Medical clearance for Disney trip maybe not until 2019 anyway.
3. How does the boat service to Disney Springs work? Does it only run until 4PM? Example: if I wanted to take them for late afternoon/dinner we could take the boat there but take the bus back?
4. Are the Coke Freestyle machines still there/staying? (It's the little things when you're a kid).

1. No plans to change the slide as far as I know, indeed it was shut for a few fays for refurbishment a month or so ago.
2. I'm afraid I can't go into detail, but if I were a betting man my best guess would be that the next refit (which will probably start later this year) might include hard flooring, as that is easier to keep clean, with a decorative rug on it rather than full carpeting.
3. Boats to DS run from 10am-11pm, with the last return boat from DS at 11:30pm. See www.portorleans.org/ferryboats.php for more details.
4. Yes, the Coca Cola Freestyle machines are there to stay, certainly for the foreseeable future, at the FQ food court.

Since we are talking about the boat to Disney springs, when does it start running? 10:30am? If want to get breakfast there before that, would we have to take a bus?

The boats officially start at 10am, so you wouldn't get to a DS restaurant until about half past ten, probably too late for breakfast. So yes, best to take the bus.

Andre

Building #2 or building #5, which would you choose or does it even matter? Those are our choices with pool view. We have a car but they both seem to be equal distance from the parking lots.

Also, at the Coca Cola Freestyle machines, what are your choices of beverages? Any root beer or flavorings like vanilla?

We are staying for the first time at POFQ in June this year. We have stayed at all the moderates before but never FQ. I went with at standard since we are not in our rooms much. Should I request a certain numbered bldg? I know it is a small resort so does it really matter? Thanks

Okay I have been reading some of the posts about the beds being BAD here at POFQ. YIKES!!! Should I change resort reservations to Riverside??? Are there any other things that I need to know that people don't like about FQ?? TIA

any place you want to get to at pofq is at most a 10 min walk from the farthest building it is small and peaceful that is why we like it so much

Okay I have been reading some of the posts about the beds being BAD here at POFQ. YIKES!!! Should I change resort reservations to Riverside??? Are there any other things that I need to know that people don't like about FQ?? TIA
We had awful beds. Afterwards we got a call from a customer service rep who said that they do replace the mattresses on a rolling basis, so maybe we just had a old one and should have requested to be moved or to have a different mattress brought in. It never occurred to us, so apparently there are alternatives if you get a horrible bed. And our beds were HORRIBLE.

Building #2 or building #5, which would you choose or does it even matter? Those are our choices with pool view. We have a car but they both seem to be equal distance from the parking lots.

Also, at the Coca Cola Freestyle machines, what are your choices of beverages? Any root beer or flavorings like vanilla?

We had 8 selections of coke flavorings and same for Sprite. Rainbow of Fanta. I never made it beyond that at the Freestyle machine in Massachusetts.

We were just there 2 weeks ago and thought the beds were super comfortable.

We had awful beds ... our beds were HORRIBLE.

We were just there 2 weeks ago and thought the beds were super comfortable.

Which just goes to show that

a) the mattresses are not the same in all rooms, as they get swapped out gradually rather than all in one go

or

b) people don't all find the same type of mattresses (hard/soft/etc) comfortable.

Or possibly (c), both of the above. :)

Andre

I prefer building #5. Then you're closer to the movies and the marshmallows.

I returned a week ago from a 5 night stay here. It was my first ever trip staying at a Disney resort, and I brought my Mother in Law for her first ever Disney trip, just the two of us. DH and I are experienced Disney peeps, but the resort thing was totally new. Add to that both MIL and I were on ECVs for mobility issues, and I was a bit concerned how we would do with Disney transport only. (I'm accustomed to scooters, it was her first time).

First I'd like to say THANK YOU for such a thorough and awesome thread. I have lived on this thread since I booked the holiday last May, and it took a lot of the guesswork and uncertainty out of everything.

We both LOVED the resort. So much so that I said to DH that in future I would rather spend 5 or 6 nights here than the 2-3 nights we had planned to stay at Poly in future. I loved the theming, the atmosphere, the CM's (speaking of which I need to find the info on how to send a special thank you to CMs who made our stay awesome).

Our beds were fine (and with my back I'm fussy about my bed). We managed to move the table and one chair up by the bed (beside the door) which gave us room for both scooters by the plug where the table normally lived. The second chair sat in the bathroom area. We had plenty of room still with that arrangement.

I didn't get the room request I had faxed by touring plans, but did get the building, floor and close to transport and not too far from the food court, just the opposite side of the building from the request. It was fine.

I wish we had a longer stay (coming from the UK), but this was what the budget could stretch to for the surprise trip. It would have been nice to take advantage of some of the facilities or have a crash morning.

We had no issues with buses and scooters. We did rope drop most days and EMH. I got us to the bus stop for 7am on the EMH days and we were about the first there. We managed to get both scooter on the buses, only having to wait once for the next bus as spaces were already taken. The Epcot EMH bus was full, and there were several scooters and wheelchairs in the queue. We got the first bus, but I did request that they try and get another asap. I felt bad for those who had to wait. The morning CMs helping at the bus stops were great.

One night they combined the two PO resorts as it was one of the last buses, and they did change it to drop FQ last so they didn't have to empty the bus for us to get off first.

I thought the food court was awesome. The MYO spaghetti, the beniegts (sp?) the breakfasts, lunch, I had no issues with the food that we did have at different times of day.

Seriously I could go on. We did have an issue our last night. Two giant bags of trash left outside our room. I called housekeeping and the night shift manager from housekeeping came by personally to apologise that they had been missed and took them away. A couple of things in the room kept getting left by mousekeeping (some cutlery I had brought back from the food court, and a takeaway box that I left on the desk rather than putting in the trash) that I would have thought they would have taken away, but no big deal, and when I left a note asking for extra toiletries she left us loads.

I went hoping to enjoy it, expecting the bus service to put me off, and thinking it would be a one and done and that DH and I would continue to rent a house off site for similar (if not cheaper), and instead I left having had such a great experience that I definitely want to do it again. We couldn't afford the full two weeks we stay, but for the first 5 nights it would be awesome.

Oh, a side note, the Magicbands were still the old style (we arrived Feb 27th) and they said that's all they'd seen for foreign guests picking up,at the hotel. I do know another hotel had given out the new ones a week previously. Not sure what the situation is now.

So, thanks again for all the great insight given here. I'll still be stopping by. I'm sorry to read others did not have the same experience we did. But I'm so glad I was able to give my MIL her dream trip of a lifetime and that staying at POFQ was a huge part of it.

Has anyone who stayed here decorated their door/window for a celebration like a birthday? I was thinking about doing that on our next trip but wasn't sure if it was allowed.

(speaking of which I need to find the info on how to send a special thank you to CMs who made our stay awesome).

Thanks for the great trip report, glad you had such a good time. You can email using the general WDW address, wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com, or send a fax if you want to know it gets directly to the resort. If you want to make it even more personal, maybe send an actual letter by post? All details are in the first post of this thread.

Has anyone who stayed here decorated their door/window for a celebration like a birthday? I was thinking about doing that on our next trip but wasn't sure if it was allowed.

Yup, it's fine, people do it all the time. Try to use vinyl clings etc rather than sticky tape though, in case it leaves marks on the glass when you take it down.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter