Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited! We booked a studio for five nights at the beginning of February. This will be my second time staying at the Poly, but everyone else's first and our first time as DVC owners. We're hoping to bring my cousins along as well, since they've never been to Disney. It would be 5 of us in a studio but as they're pretty large I think we can make it work. Can't wait!

February will be here before you know it! Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Still waiting for our flight, but vacation starting off on a high note. Got our room assignment and it's the same room we had last March. It's in Moorea and has a great view of the Magic Kingdom.

Have a great time! :yay:

Depending on how many in your party, how you linger at the table etc, will play part in determining when you LEAVE for MK. Last week, DH and I enjoyed bkfst at Kona Cafe at 7:30 am twice and headed to MK immediately after both times. On both days, we were walking into MK by 8:45. Bag check at Poly monorail is very smooth. Have ALL the zippers in your bag open and be aware to use BOTH sides of the bag check line, empty any pockets, etc. the more prepared you are, the quicker they can get you through. First thing in the morning is a crap shoot in terms of the bag check line. Some days we were the only ones there, other days there were folks in front of us. Again, if you are prepared and watch both sides of the line, you will get thru very quickly.

Yes, Captain Cook's is open 24 hours and food is fine. Even if the line gets backed up, they move along very quickly.

Even the best laid plans always have a quirk soooooo, my advice is don't rush! Relax and enjoy the ride!
:beach:
Hello "cuteasminnie" I understand that there is a bag check at the monorail resorts. If we stay at the Polynesian and do the bag check before getting on the monorail, do you also do a bag check at the magic kingdom. I apologize if this has been answered already. Thank you

Hello "cuteasminnie" I understand that there is a bag check at the monorail resorts. If we stay at the Polynesian and do the bag check before getting on the monorail, do you also do a bag check at the magic kingdom. I apologize if this has been answered already. Thank you

No, if you take the monorail from Poly to MK, you go through bag check/metal detectors at the entrance to the Poly monorail. You don't go through security again. It's now a relative ghost town at the old MK security check points. It's WONDERFUL!

This is a pic of the old MK security area from a few weeks ago. This was 8:15 AM (9AM MK opening).

With the new security setup and new MK opening/RD procedure, getting to the MK in the morning is SO much easier. Forgive the hyperbole but it has totally changed the way we approach our MK mornings from the MK resorts. It is a great change!

Empty Security Area.jpeg

No, if you take the monorail from Poly to MK, you go through bag check/metal detectors at the entrance to the Poly monorail. You don't go through security again. It's now a relative ghost town at the old MK security check points. It's WONDERFUL!

This is a pic of the old MK security area from a few weeks ago. This was 8:15 AM (9AM MK opening).

With the new security setup and new MK opening/RD procedure, getting to the MK in the morning is SO much easier. Forgive the hyperbole but it has totally changed the way we approach our MK mornings from the MK resorts. It is a great change!

View attachment 239613
Love the picture and this is great news! Thank you. Do you still have to go through a second security at Epcot?

Thank you

Love the picture and this is great news! Thank you. Do you still have to go through a second security at Epcot?

Thank you

Yes, Epcot is a bit different. You do have to go through security twice to go there. Unfortunately the Epcot monorail exits into a non-secure area (and one that would appear to be difficult to make secure without a more substantial reconfiguration of the front), so you do go through security at Epcot the same way you have in the past.

I suspect the above could change at some point if they re-route things, but that was how it was in April for us.

Yes, Epcot is a bit different. You do have to go through security twice to go there. Unfortunately the Epcot monorail exits into a non-secure area (and one that would appear to be difficult to make secure without a more substantial reconfiguration of the front), so you do go through security at Epcot the same way you have in the past.

I suspect the above could change at some point if they re-route things, but that was how it was in April for us.
Thanks again I am glad to know in advance what to expect!

View attachment 239613
Thanks for the photo's. Do you still arrive 45 early for Rope drop?

Thanks for the photo's. Do you still arrive 45 early for Rope drop?

Sorry if you know this already... but now for a 9AM MK opening, they let everyone in 8AMish and hold people at the hub/castle. You're free to roam around Main Street, the hub, do some shopping, etc. The opening show is at the castle at 8:55AM which lasts a few minutes, then they let you past the hub. (Things are a bit different for earlier MK openings).

That's one of the reasons that photo looks so empty - no more waiting out front for the opening show anymore. I was sad to see the train show end, but this new setup does a much better job with moving people into the park and not clogging up at the gate.

Since this change, I've arrived anywhere from 8:10-8:50ish and my experiance has pretty much been the same no matter when I arrived.

Unless you really want to be the first person at the various "ropes" into different lands/paths from the hub (eg, for 7DMT purposes), I don't see much of a reason to get there super early. Although it's fun to just stroll around Main Street, grab some photopass photographs, grab a coffee, take a Main Street vehicle, actually sit and enjoy the morning buzz, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry if you know this already... but now for a 9AM MK opening, they let everyone in 8AMish and hold people at the hub/castle. You're free to roam around Main Street, the hub, do some shopping, it. The opening show is at the castle at 8:55AM which lasts a few minutes, then they let you past the hub. (Things are a bit different for earlier MK openings).

That's one of the reasons that photo looks so empty - no more waiting out front for the opening show anymore. I was sad to see the train show end, but this new setup does a much better job with moving people into the park and not clogging up at the gate.

Since this change, I've arrived anywhere from 8:10-8:50ish and my experiance has pretty much been the same no matter when I arrived.

Unless you really want to be the first person at the various "ropes" into different lands/paths from the hub (eg, for 7DMT purposes), I don't see much of a reason to get there super early. Although it's fun to just stroll around Main Street, grab some photopass photographs, grab a coffee, take a Main Street vehicle, actually sit and enjoy the morning buzz, etc.
Thank you for the reply. I have been reading for months, thinking I will remember it all...alas :rolleyes1. Switching to writing it in a notebook now.

Our Poly trip begins in two weeks! We'll be staying in a dvc studio, and I'm going to put in a request for Tokelau. This will be our first stay at the Polynesian. My question is about fireworks viewing. Is there anywhere to see Happily Ever After where the crowds won't be overwhelming? Is the beach the only area? It will be DH, myself, DS13, 11 and DD<1. This will be the first time traveling for the baby. Are there any quiet areas at the Poly to let the baby crawl (other than our room)?

I'm writing this while watching my 4 yo in the splash area. We both have dole whip drinks (hers is a smoothie, mine has rum. Both from the pool bar.) It's our first stay at the Poly and we're in Tokelau on the west/Oasis pool side.

I'm. In. Heaven. I love the location, love the resort, love the restaurants and bars. We put the kids to bed and watched fireworks from our patio last night-how cool is that??? Monorail to Epcot is a snap.

Oh we had a PPO ADR in Epcot and thinking about transportation caused me a fair amount of stress since we have 2 in car seats. Concierge recommended we use a mears taxi so that's what we did. It was super quick and reasonably priced ($13) but the car seats were dirty and expired. So I would not recommend this. Next time I'll wake the kids up at the crack of dawn and wait for the breakfast bus.

I highly recommend Uber Family. It launched last year in Orlando (they have carseats) and the drivers are fantastic. Had really great service and cheaper than a taxi!

I'm writing this while watching my 4 yo in the splash area. We both have dole whip drinks (hers is a smoothie, mine has rum. Both from the pool bar.) It's our first stay at the Poly and we're in Tokelau on the west/Oasis pool side.

I'm. In. Heaven. I love the location, love the resort, love the restaurants and bars. We put the kids to bed and watched fireworks from our patio last night-how cool is that??? Monorail to Epcot is a snap.

Oh we had a PPO ADR in Epcot and thinking about transportation caused me a fair amount of stress since we have 2 in car seats. Concierge recommended we use a mears taxi so that's what we did. It was super quick and reasonably priced ($13) but the car seats were dirty and expired. So I would not recommend this. Next time I'll wake the kids up at the crack of dawn and wait for the breakfast bus.

I highly recommend Uber Family. It launched last year in Orlando (they have carseats) and the drivers are fantastic. Had really great service and cheaper than a taxi!
I thought Uber family only guaranteed one car seat. Have you taken it and had two? I would love that option.

Our Poly trip begins in two weeks! We'll be staying in a dvc studio, and I'm going to put in a request for Tokelau. This will be our first stay at the Polynesian. My question is about fireworks viewing. Is there anywhere to see Happily Ever After where the crowds won't be overwhelming? Is the beach the only area? It will be DH, myself, DS13, 11 and DD<1. This will be the first time traveling for the baby. Are there any quiet areas at the Poly to let the baby crawl (other than our room)?

I can't answer your questions, but wanted to say congrats on your first (upcoming) Poly stay. The Poly is amazing, you're going to love it! Have a great time :wizard:.

Thanks for checking in! Glad you're having a great time and enjoying the Poly :goodvibes.

We just got back yesterday and were located at Tokelau. It was awesome!!!! The location was prime, close to the pools, great ceremonial house, and view of the fireworks at the MK. Plus the rooms are amazing. That shower!! One of them has water coming from the ceiling like a rainfall, and there is an additional removable shower head as well, both temperature controlled! I am not sure if all the rooms have that but my parents and ours both did. Highly recommend Tokelau if you can get rooms there. Only complaint is that we were running so much we did not have time to just lay back and read and get drinks at the smaller pool, but there is always next time!

We just got back yesterday and were located at Tokelau. It was awesome!!!! The location was prime, close to the pools, great ceremonial house, and view of the fireworks at the MK. Plus the rooms are amazing. That shower!! One of them has water coming from the ceiling like a rainfall, and there is an additional removable shower head as well, both temperature controlled! I am not sure if all the rooms have that but my parents and ours both did. Highly recommend Tokelau if you can get rooms there. Only complaint is that we were running so much we did not have time to just lay back and read and get drinks at the smaller pool, but there is always next time!

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the Poly. Not having enough time to relax is a good reason to start planning your next trip back :goodvibes.

Great point Mickeynut! We will be going back for a longer period of time, probably more like 10 days. We were rushing to get the kids on everything- amazing how 6 days seems like more than enough time! Already planning the next vacation!

I actually found one thing I don't like about Poly. There's not enough chairs with shade by the pool. I went down late morning and there were none to be found. And if the ones taken, there weren't a lot. That's the thing about the Boardwalk, there's a lot of trees for share around the Luna pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter