Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

Going to universal, staying there is maybe an option for me which I never considered before.
For sure! I actually prefer Universal’s hotels to Disney’s for both their theming and their value (WAY more bang for your buck at Universal’s hotels when comparing amenities), and without DME and other onsite perks, it absolutely will become a viable option for us to simply stay over at UO and drive to WDW’s parks on the days we want to go there. The potential for lost revenue for Disley is just so substantial here - I’m really having a hard time wrapping my head around why they made this announcement without providing a viable alternative at the same time.

For sure! I actually prefer Universal’s hotels to Disney’s for both their theming and their value (WAY more bang for your buck at Universal’s hotels when comparing amenities), and without DME and other onsite perks, it absolutely will become a viable option for us to simply stay over at UO and drive to WDW’s parks on the days we want to go there. The potential for lost revenue for Disley is just so substantial here - I’m really having a hard time wrapping my head around why they made this announcement without providing a viable alternative at the same time.

This would certainly be an option for us, if we need to rent a car anyways. We would be 4 to 5 adults going and looking to rent a suite for 8 nights. For the exact same dates I can get a suite at Cabana Bay Resort in Universal for $200/night Canadian funds versus $580/night Cdn for Arts of Animation. Even if All Star Music suites open up they are around $450/night Cdn. Also, parking is a bit cheaper at $10/night. Just one night price difference would cover my rental car! The rest of the nights would cover tickets for everyone, more or less. We love Disney as much as anyone and have flown and driven 24 hours from Canada 6 times in the past but sometimes you have to say enough is enough.

Everyone now planning to rent a car, just know that cost will probably double. Same for Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc. Without DME, you have thousands more people, every day, looking for alternative transportation. Initially, there will be a massive shortfall. Even if Mears continues the operation without Disney branding, they will charge money and that will leave a lot of people looking at car rentals and other alternative options to best fit their budget.

You took it personal, and clearly affected by the remark. Let’s roll back the clock to 2004 and see how it was done then. You were on your own then. So in 2022, there is more options now than there was ever in 2005 when DME started.

Also, as long as the demand stays at the current level on capacity with or without restrictions. If Disney cuts a service and the demand is still there, they have higher margins. Higher margins relates to ROI. Which I respect. But face it, there is some things in life some people are not meant to do based on income and ability. It could be from work to vacation, it’s facts.
Have a magical day 🙄

It will also be interesting to see what this change does to the dining profits, especially at the value resorts. By providing transfers and taking away the incentive to rent a car, they were making it easier for families to just shrug and pay for the overpriced and mediocre food at the resorts. But if you now have a car outside your room, why wouldn't you pop out to McDonalds or somewhere else and get a meal your family likes for a fraction of the price?

And I'm not too worried about car rental and ride share prices going up. Car rental fleets are fluid and movable. If the demand for van rentals at MCO doubles in 2022, then the companies will move those vehicles to meet demand. Ride shares are pretty flexible too. Sure, there may be surge pricing at the busiest arrival times, but flights are pretty spread out, unlike the sudden increase in requests at park closing time. And it's still a much better deal than the taxis!

Let’s roll back the clock to 2004 and see how it was done then. You were on your own then. So in 2022, there is more options now than there was ever in 2005 when DME started.

Sorry 2005 was a long time ago:.
WDW 42.8m visitors in 2005 vs 57.5m in 2019
MCO 34.1m passengers in 2005 vs 50.6m in 2019

Infrastructure typically needs to grow organically with demand. With a instantaneous gap created there is a good potential of shortages of transportation without dramatic changes. In addition those in place now likely will increase pricing based on increased demand without subsequent increase in capacity.

Things will change we will see doesn't make it any less of an issue of ME going away.

Just so im keeping score. From my cancelled trip in October that i was rebooking for 2022 i have lost.

Free DDP £700? family of 3.
Free Magic bands £30
The Magic express. £50 if i do a lyft. Car hire 300 odd plus 100 odd in parking charges at my hotel.
EMH after closing. £0

So cost wise im around £1200 worse off.

Thats the way to entice me back after a pandemic and global recession,

What can they possibly cut next? Im betting lift shares being able to get to hotels or parks
Paid FP.......Or elimination of the 60 day booking window for resorts guests.......So now you can fly all that way, pay those prices and have no guarantee of getting on the good rides.........sounds like so much fun

One of the big perks of staying on WDW property is not having to drive (for us). We don’t drive on vacation. With DME gone and so many other offerings gone it makes sense staying offsite. But then I don’t want to rent a car because I don’t want to drive. But ubers can get costly especially when the grown kids want to go back to the condo/villa/house before you do.

Its just more work than what it’s worth for us at this point. We can vacation elsewhere with less stress. Maybe one day disney will evolve back to what they were when attendance gets higher. Hopefully. I wanted to go in 2022 for DS college grad but none of this sounds relaxing or fun.

I also don’t go to Florida to do Florida attractions. I go for WDW.
This is exactly how I feel. I really don't want to drive either, it was just so convenient and stress free, everything was taken care of, get off your flight and on the DME. I feel like it's going to be too much of a hassle now, not worth it anymore.

Didn’t read through the whole thread, but clearly a move by Disney to directly monetize things that are currently bundled in the cost of a resort stay.

When the contract with Mears ends, I suspect Disney will offer at least an up-charge luggage delivery service and probably some form of branded transportation. I don’t think this move is directly related to the new rail system in development. Getting on a train at MCO and then having to wait for a bus at Springs seems onerous.

The “perk” of 30 minute early entry is basically what happens now anyway most of the time. I agree with others that this change will likely mean more up-charge early/late access events.

I’m still hopeful there are more perks on the way for resort stays. My guess is that there will be some benefits as part of reimagined fastpass.

I used to love having a rental car at WDW. You could use the parks transportation if you wanted to, but you could easily go out for meals. The free ME was nice while it lasted but I could go back to the old ways and probably save money.

Funny because 20 years ago renting a car was normal and I had to really adjust to using the free ME because I knew I was paying for it in my room rates anyway.

As of right now, I only plan to visit disney in 2022 and then be done with it. All that i see is cuts and they are affecting the experience that used to be disney. Only reason i am going is cause i'm sitting on $2500 in disney gift cards. Gonna use them to pay for tickets and some dining. Otherwise I'm gonna stay at one of the disney springs resorts and spend as little at disney as possible. So sad, I was more than willing to pay for that experience.

I sincerely hope another bus company observes this PR nightmare and steps up and puts the service in place. The Magical Express was always the beginning of the pixie dust for me and it didn’t matter how many times we saw that video or played that trivia, the thrill remained.
Take that away and consider the convenience for families, the crying, tired toddlers who just need to get on a bus and fall asleep. The elderly and the beautiful, beautiful disabled people. That Disney took this away from these people...wow.

I sincerely hope of another company fills the gap that they make a ton of money. I’ll pay for the convenience. Shame on Disney.

I get it. Who wants to ride in an enclosed bus with a bunch of kids that can't get a COVID vaccine until at the earliest next year?

Of course, why stay on property at all at the current rates? The biggest perk was advance dining and fast passes before off property guests. That was like the only reason for staying on property. The hotel rate difference between on property versus off is huge. I get a lot more value staying off property versus now today. Disney hotel prices need to be in the same ball park price wise as Universal hotels.

My expectation now is that Uber and car rental prices should go up as there should be far more demand.

I'm still betting on Disney owned/operated transport to/from resorts. The new train will be a non factor. So if the general thought is people will schlepp their luggage to the train, then get off a DS. From there schlepp to a bus (where the heck will that be?) and then onto a bus to the resort. Crazy. not gonna happen.

I'm still betting on Disney owned/operated transport to/from resorts. The new train will be a non factor. So if the general thought is people will schlepp their luggage to the train, then get off a DS. From there schlepp to a bus (where the heck will that be?) and then onto a bus to the resort. Crazy. not gonna happen.

People will either rent vehicles or use a ride sharing service.

Apologies or the lengthy note here, but wanted to offer my thoughts.

Yes, in the cold, harsh world that we live in 'magical' Disney is still going to do what's best for their bottom line and if they can take away perks and it doesn't affect attendance and revenue, it's a smart business decision. This is how capitalism works, and we can't blame them for that.

That's a simple answer and it's technically correct, but it's not exactly accurate. What they appear to be severely underestimating is the level to which reputation and experience has been a huge part of their success within the travel and tourism industry. Disney has ridden a huge wave of prosperity over the past 20 years across the board, and the parks and resorts and DCL have been a big part of that. What some may not remember was the era prior when Disney was struggling and didn't have near the reverence as a corporation that it has today. They did a lot of dumb things across the whole company that led to that, but the parks suffered because they lost their luster. They gained a perception of being old fashioned. They didn't have enough successful new films and characters to drive attendance. Among the general public, Disney didn't feel especially magical or classy. For many, Disney World became no more special or magical than Universal or even Sea World. It was just another theme park.

So they invested heavily in the parks and hotel properties and added perks and created a legitimately unique, 'magical' experience that loyal fans now spend boat-loads of cash every year chasing. But for everything Disney has done well to get to this point, they don't truly understand the root of what got them there. They're toying with loyal customers, trying to see how much more expensive they can make things and how much they can take away before people start to bail. The evidence of this is everywhere. It's not just increasing prices and removing perks. Look at the development of new resorts. Over the past 20 years, Disney has invested almost exclusively in the development of Deluxe resorts (or DVC additions to resorts). They've built thousands of new rooms and infrastructure for people willing to pay $500+ per night and almost nothing to service anything below that budget. It's a joke that they call AoA a 'Value' resort, considering the majority of its rooms are family suites that are $450+ per night, even at the most inexpensive time of the year.

Disney has made it clear they're no longer catering to the family of 6 showing up in the RV. For people with no limit to their budget, they provide a luxury experience and only continue to develop more ways to spend money for people willing to do it for more access and perks. And if you aren't of considerable means, they've spent the past decade trying to see how far they can stretch your pockets and reduce the experience until you decide it's not worth it.

But people love Disney World and have continued to pony up, including me. A trip that used to cost $5k now costs $8 or more.

But... they're really testing the limits and seem to be forgetting what they went through in the 90s. They've gotten overconfident and it's manifesting itself as greed. The competition is catching up. Universal struggled for a long time but it seems to be doing things a lot better now, both as far as the parks and its resorts. Offsite hotels are catching on to the demand for themed rooms and unique stays. From a DCL standpoint, RC and others are starting to understand what Disney does well and are adjusting, while they remain well ahead of DCL as far as new, innovative ships. Meanwhile, Disney is diluting the parks. There are too many properties to represent effectively and create unique experiences (Classic Disney, Princesses, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.) They're plopping a Guardians of the Galaxy ride into EPCOT even though it fundamentally doesn't fit the new concept of the park (literally about EARTH) simply because they have no where else to put it. The uncertainty around the future of movie theaters and the film industry in general threatens their ability to create new brands and properties that can do what Frozen did for them 8 years ago. They're acting like the good times are never gonna end and don't see any potential risk in losing fans and customers.

Right now, they seem impervious. They're building more Deluxe resorts and (when there's not a pandemic), packing the parks like never before. But this is a competitive industry and all it takes is one family telling another that they tried something else and had a blast. And suddenly people who previously never thought about doing anything but Disney are going to try something new, and realize they had just as much fun, while ending up with several thousands $ back in their pocket. It's fragile territory Disney is on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter