(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from the Grand Floridian Resort. We booked the outer Club Level-Sugar Loaf Building. During our stay in Sugar Loaf, a large piece of ceiling tile fell to the ground and caused total mayhem in the Sugar Loaf lobby. So much so, they gave everyone staying in the Sugar Loaf building a key card for the "Royal Palm Club" concierge service in the main building till they repaired the ceiling. I had two days with Sugar Loaf concierge and 6 with Royal Palm Club.

People who say they are the same are mistaken, I felt they were very different. The food and the drinks might be really close, but not identical from my personal experience. The treatment and the cast members were more "on their game" in the main building...funny thing- some of the same cast members worked both, but seemed more "with it" in the main building (more supervised) The truth is, the RPC felt quite different and I really hoped it would feel equal. I guess you get what you pay for. I don't want to throw all the cast members in the Sugar Loaf building under the bus, there were a few front runners, but unfortunately there were more that looked glum, overworked and almost as if they were annoyed by your presence.

I also requested a turret/tower room in advance of my trip, upon arrival a standard room facing the marina was given to us. It was a very beautiful room, but I just wanted to double check availability on the turret room as it had extra space for my hubby and teenagers. I went to the cast member and politely asked the availability of a 2nd or 3rd floor turret room with balcony and was thrilled to be given a room change two days later into a gorgeous 3rd floor "tower" or "turret" room that overlooked the Courtyard Pool. Woot!

I will post pictures of the pools, cabana rental, both of my rooms and both concierge services tomorrow. Stay tuned...

I would definitely stay at the Grand Floridian Resort again, either in a standard room or in the Royal Palm Club. I did not find the resort to be fru fru or snobby in any way at all. I actually love the one & only Richard (greeter) located near the porte cochère. I also loved the rooms and room size and it felt very disneyious to my family. Polynesian Village Resort is really our family's fave, but GFR is a close 2nd, in a different kind of way. We had a lot of great experiences whilst there and will look back on our stay with fond memories.

I will post pictures of the pools, cabana rental, both of my rooms and both concierge services tomorrow. Stay tuned...

I would definitely stay at the Grand Floridian Resort again, either in a standard room or in the Royal Palm Club. I did not find the resort to be fru fru or snobby in any way at all. I actually love the one & only Richard (greeter) located near the porte cochère. I also loved the rooms and room size and it felt very disneyious to my family. Polynesian Village Resort is really our family's fave, but GFR is a close 2nd, in a different kind of way. We had a lot of great experiences whilst there and will look back on our stay with fond memories.

Richard is the best!

Thanks for your report. Looking forward to the pictures!

14 days to go!!! for our girls only 8 day trip to Sugar Loaf. Celebrating my twins 16 bday next month and my neice's 29th bday while we are there. It will also be my bday on our last day but ignoring that one, lol!

Sounds like an awesome trip with lots to celebrate! Hope everyone has a great time :goodvibes.

Oh, come on. Wear that Birthday Pin proudly! :bday:

I agree! ;)

We just got back from the Grand Floridian Resort. We booked the outer Club Level-Sugar Loaf Building. During our stay in Sugar Loaf, a large piece of ceiling tile fell to the ground and caused total mayhem in the Sugar Loaf lobby. So much so, they gave everyone staying in the Sugar Loaf building a key card for the "Royal Palm Club" concierge service in the main building till they repaired the ceiling. I had two days with Sugar Loaf concierge and 6 with Royal Palm Club.

Not good about the ceiling tile falling, but glad they did something for the guests for the inconvenience :).

People who say they are the same are mistaken, I felt they were very different. The food and the drinks might be really close, but not identical from my personal experience. The treatment and the cast members were more "on their game" in the main building...funny thing- some of the same cast members worked both, but seemed more "with it" in the main building (more supervised) The truth is, the RPC felt quite different and I really hoped it would feel equal. I guess you get what you pay for. I don't want to throw all the cast members in the Sugar Loaf building under the bus, there were a few front runners, but unfortunately there were more that looked glum, overworked and almost as if they were annoyed by your presence.

I agree, I was blown away by RPC, but SL not so much. While I'm glad I tried SL, I wasn't that impressed with the overall atmosphere/vibe :(.

Looking forward to your pics :).

Polynesian Village Resort is really our family's fave, but GFR is a close 2nd, in a different kind of way. We had a lot of great experiences whilst there and will look back on our stay with fond memories.

Same here. The Poly will always be our favorite, but the GF runs a very close second for us, too :goodvibes.

Richard is the best!

::yes::

logpey - Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!! Very nice that they gave everyone access to RPC during the repairs to SL. I think GF knows however, that exposing all of those guests to RPC will hook many of them on RPC now which means extra $$ for their bottom line :rotfl: DDs and I love Poly for the atmosphere but DH prefers GF. We have been choosing GF now instead of Poly mostly because of room/resort amenities. With all rooms having balconies, the split bathroom design, and laundry facilities in each building, Poly comes in short. Looking forward to seeing you pics :goodvibes

Hello Everyone! I just uploaded a complete tour of the Grand Floridian Resort in 4K UHD. I hope it is helpful for anyone planning a trip or anyone who just wants to relive their last trip to this amazing resort!
Enjoy!
Great video! Makes me too excited to be there in a few weeks

Just to let you see the devastation the ceiling tile caused. The very least they should have done is let you use Royal Palm Club in the main building (which they did)! It did cause quite an inconvenience for Sugar Loaf patrons. My family was happy to experience both CL services.

IMG_4669.JPG IMG_4771.JPG IMG_4772.JPG IMG_4773.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome pics!!! Such a beautiful family. You are very blessed :flower:

Does the sofa in the turret area have a pull-out bed or is it just a sofa?

IMG_4714.JPG
Awesome pics!!! Such a beautiful family. You are very blessed :flower:

Does the sofa in the turret area have a pull-out bed or is it just a sofa?
Thank you, that's very nice. The couch just pulls down from top into single bed and just folds back up into place. Right behind my hubby the couch is already turned down.

Has the Mad Hatters tea party returned?

From the GF July Activities Calendar.

GONE MAD PARTY

Wednesdays in July will be filled with wonder during this whimsical party where the most nonsensical food and drinks make the most sense! Join us from 7:00pm-9:30pm at the outdoor patio by Gasparilla Island Grill to enjoy food and drink offerings for purchase and a splendiferous view of Happily Ever After, the newest, most spectacular fireworks show in the history of Magic Kingdom® Park. Don’t be late!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter