• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Anyone see any progress on the walkway to MK situation? Upcoming stay April 30-May 8th curious if it’ll be open by then?
I will be there then as well. IMO no. They will keep it closed while they work on Sago. If you have used the walkway you will remember that there is a parking lot adjacent to the start of the walkway near the end of sago. That is where they will be bringing in equipment etc.

Also it takes months plural to do one building so I don’t think they will have time. Perhaps Memorial Weekend or in June is my guess. It could be longer ….

Also I just remembered they still need to do the Main building guest rooms and I don’t know if the walkway will impacted by that. However mono to MK is fast and then we use the boat for returns for the most part.

If concerned about leaving after fireworks etc with crowds what dd and I sometimes do is walk to CR and hop on mono from there. Occasionlly getting out of MK can be a pain and this option worked better.

Hi all - we have our first stay at GF coming up May 22-25! I was able to book a cabana for our check out day 🎉

Of interest, I first asked to do a half day rental and they told me they’re only doing full day now. It was $318 for the day.

Also, I called right when I our booking window opened and was told they only do it at 60 days and to call back. So I called back today and they booked me for 5/25 which is 60+1. So who knows 🤷‍♀️

I've done much debating with myself the last few months of whether to stay at VGF or BLT for our anniversary trip in May....only 35 more days to go, but who's counting? Well, I have finally decided, we are staying at VGF. I just love it too much and I'm not going to let something like the walkway being closed and construction keep me away. I love the pools there and just the resort feel as a whole. BLT is underwhelming to me, with the location being the only good thing going for it. We don't typically spend much time at the resorts, but since we bought DVC last year, I do think we may have some resort only stays in the future. We would really like to use our points to take several long weekend trips during the year, but park tickets are getting too expensive for shorter stays, unless we are finally ever able to get an AP. We have a Standard View Resort Studio booked so now I am looking at Touring Plans for my room request. I am thinking I would like a good pool view on an upper floor. It seems the best pool views are the ones with the closed dormer balcony, which I do not want. We've had those at WL and I much rather the open balcony. We have a reservation at Narcoossee's on our arrival night, but I kind of want to try Citrico's - is one better than the other? DH says we can go to DS and eat at The Boathouse that night, but I think after a long day of work & traveling, I'd rather just eat at GF and not have to get on another bus. Anyways, I am so excited for our trip and hopefully the next month flies by!!!

I will be there then as well. IMO no. They will keep it closed while they work on Sago. If you have used the walkway you will remember that there is a parking lot adjacent to the start of the walkway near the end of sago. That is where they will be bringing in equipment etc.

Also it takes months plural to do one building so I don’t think they will have time. Perhaps Memorial Weekend or in June is my guess. It could be longer ….

Also I just remembered they still need to do the Main building guest rooms and I don’t know if the walkway will impacted by that. However mono to MK is fast and then we use the boat for returns for the most part.

If concerned about leaving after fireworks etc with crowds what dd and I sometimes do is walk to CR and hop on mono from there. Occasionlly getting out of MK can be a pain and this option worked better.

I am hoping the walkway will be available again by Memorial Day weekend when our trip starts. We switch from Yacht to Poly on the 31st and originally planned to uber over early in the morning with our stuff and rope drop MK. But gf wants to have a leisurely resort day so now we will have Disney take our stuff to Poly and go have breakfast at GF Cafe then do the spa instead. We still plan to go into the park in the evening for extended hours but I'll be kinda bummed out if we can't walk from Poly, I was looking forward to trying it.

I am hoping the walkway will be available again by Memorial Day weekend when our trip starts. We switch from Yacht to Poly on the 31st and originally planned to uber over early in the morning with our stuff and rope drop MK. But gf wants to have a leisurely resort day so now we will have Disney take our stuff to Poly and go have breakfast at GF Cafe then do the spa instead. We still plan to go into the park in the evening for extended hours but I'll be kinda bummed out if we can't walk from Poly, I was looking forward to trying it.
We are hoping that it's done as well for our mid-may trip but I think that may be a bit optimistic. This is my wife's first time staying there and she really wanted to walk to the Contemporary from GF. This isn't a deal breaker for us but I see where it is for some.

We are hoping that it's done as well for our mid-may trip but I think that may be a bit optimistic. This is my wife's first time staying there and she really wanted to walk to the Contemporary from GF. This isn't a deal breaker for us but I see where it is for some.
It's a really nice walk, I did it when I stayed at GF a couple of years ago. Regardless I'm sure your wife will love it even with minor inconveniences. GF is my favorite resort only edged out by Poly.

. GF is my favorite resort only edged out by Poly.
Did I write this? Lol!

True story Dd and I love to walk. We do 20,000 plus steps a day at wdw. However the walk gf/MK is long! We tend to take mono to MK and boat , mono back. We only walk if we had a light day or lines leaving MK are crazy.

So for upcoming trips it’s ok walkway closed. Nice but not deal breaker,

The path poly to gf is more important imo. I use that more often .

Tell me about this. Will be staying in Poly for first time this summer but love GF and visiting it. Is this a quick path over? Easier than monorail or just more scenic?
Well going from Poly to Gf it is only one monorail stop but to get back you either have to go alllll the way around gf to poly or boat back. It is hit or miss with boats. Sometimes the wait is long or it fills up.

We usually walk GF to Poly.

However sometimes if I want a dolewhip or an adult beverage we do walk from poly to gf and enjoy the view.

CURRENTLY the normal path is closed. So its still convenient but not the scenic view from the past while the dvc is being built.

There are signs but basically they have us walk on the sidewalk of the road then through gf dvc parking lot. At least the monorail still swooshes overhead during the walk :)
Here is a pictorial of it.
https://blogmickey.com/2022/09/new-walkway-opens-between-polynesian-and-grand-floridian/

Well going from Poly to Gf it is only one monorail stop but to get back you either have to go alllll the way around gf to poly or boat back. It is hit or miss with boats. Sometimes the wait is long or it fills up.

We usually walk GF to Poly.

However sometimes if I want a dolewhip or an adult beverage we do walk from poly to gf and enjoy the view.

CURRENTLY the normal path is closed. So its still convenient but not the scenic view from the past while the dvc is being built.

There are signs but basically they have us walk on the sidewalk of the road then through gf dvc parking lot. At least the monorail still swooshes overhead during the walk :)
Here is a pictorial of it.
https://blogmickey.com/2022/09/new-walkway-opens-between-polynesian-and-grand-floridian/
Thank you for the link. We decided to take it easy on the day we switch resorts from YC to Poly and are having breakfast at GF Cafe before heading to the spa. Since they let you use the facilities all day of your appt I figured it would be a nice relaxing way to spend the time waiting on our room to be ready at the Poly. I think we’ll just walk back from there and this helps.

Hi all - we have our first stay at GF coming up May 22-25! I was able to book a cabana for our check out day 🎉

Of interest, I first asked to do a half day rental and they told me they’re only doing full day now. It was $318 for the day.

Also, I called right when I our booking window opened and was told they only do it at 60 days and to call back. So I called back today and they booked me for 5/25 which is 60+1. So who knows 🤷‍♀️
Wow that’s quite expensive for what u get

I've done much debating with myself the last few months of whether to stay at VGF or BLT for our anniversary trip in May....only 35 more days to go, but who's counting? Well, I have finally decided, we are staying at VGF. I just love it too much and I'm not going to let something like the walkway being closed and construction keep me away. I love the pools there and just the resort feel as a whole. BLT is underwhelming to me, with the location being the only good thing going for it. We don't typically spend much time at the resorts, but since we bought DVC last year, I do think we may have some resort only stays in the future. We would really like to use our points to take several long weekend trips during the year, but park tickets are getting too expensive for shorter stays, unless we are finally ever able to get an AP. We have a Standard View Resort Studio booked so now I am looking at Touring Plans for my room request. I am thinking I would like a good pool view on an upper floor. It seems the best pool views are the ones with the closed dormer balcony, which I do not want. We've had those at WL and I much rather the open balcony. We have a reservation at Narcoossee's on our arrival night, but I kind of want to try Citrico's - is one better than the other? DH says we can go to DS and eat at The Boathouse that night, but I think after a long day of work & traveling, I'd rather just eat at GF and not have to get on another bus. Anyways, I am so excited for our trip and hopefully the next month flies by!!!
Travel to and from DS is a pain. It can take a long time.

Stick with GF TS. It’s so nice to just walk to your reservation! Also the Castle can be seen from the resort, EWP and fireworks happen, Now that’s a magical vacation!

Citricos vs Narcoosees. I give an edge to N if you get a nice table with a view. C is better if you want a nice bar and drink prior , theirs is bigger and lovely,

Travel to and from DS is a pain. It can take a long time.

Stick with GF TS. It’s so nice to just walk to your reservation! Also the Castle can be seen from the resort, EWP and fireworks happen, Now that’s a magical vacation!

Citricos vs Narcoosees. I give an edge to N if you get a nice table with a view. C is better if you want a nice bar and drink prior , theirs is bigger and lovely,
That’s what I say too. It’s not worth going to DS to me on travel day.

We did enjoy Narcoossee’s last year when we ate there for the first time and did have a wonderful view. I’d like to try Citrico’s. I also snagged a California Grill reservation for really late that night, but it’s after the fireworks, and we’ve never eaten there before either. I’ve seen great reviews there too, but it requires a ride over to CR.

....as promised...

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJjU5v-r8MDGeeNAYNdDZI8BKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJiMgKht0-ikTW3WI1F6GeTsUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter