Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

If staying at VGF, do you check in there or the main building (assuming did not do online)? Are there bellmen and/or valet at VGF? We will arrive at dinnertime if that makes a difference
You can check in at either. VGF building would be convenient, since you’d be in the same building; however if you need valet, you would need go to the main building. There are bellmen at each. Have fun!

Some Updated Pictures on WDWNT

Sugar Loaf:

Grand Flo consturction updates131

Grand Flo construction updates15(1)

Grand Flo construction updates15(1)

Grand Flo construction updates16(1)

The stairwell on one side of the building has been completely removed leaving large openings. Only the doors leading into the building remain.

Here we can see what’s been going on behind the large, white construction walls. Workers seem to be using the area as a walkway and a space to bring in materials for the extensive remodel.

GrandFlo construction monorail view7(1)

Here, alongside the Sago Cay building, we can see construction workers bringing in what looks like additional white walls for the construction barricade.
GrandFlo construction monorail view8(1)

GrandFlo construction monorail view6(1)

Grand Flo construction update

Narcoosee’s

Narcooses construction10(1)

Narcooses construction6(1)

Narcooses construction9(1)

Last week, I booked GF lagoon view for Memorial Weekend because of the walkway to MK. I have two boys (6 and 4). I was debating between WL and GF. I think they would love the WL theming, but I went with GF for the walkway to MK and monorail to Epcot. I will be traveling alone with them and really dislike dealing with buses, especially if I take a stroller.

Now that the walkway will be closed until late spring, I am debating switching to WL. Cost difference is about $600 for the trip. The other choice was CR but in the Garden Wing at $50 more per night than GF.

Boardwalk Inn is also available for similar price as WL, but we’ve stayed there in the past. I did love being able to walk to Epcot/DHS. BC/YC/poly do not show availability.

Any thoughts? What would you pick? I’ve always wanted to stay at GF. I’d love to think Memorial Day is considered late spring and the walkway will be open, but on a technicality the first true day of summer is 6/21.

Last week, I booked GF lagoon view for Memorial Weekend because of the walkway to MK. I have two boys (6 and 4). I was debating between WL and GF. I think they would love the WL theming, but I went with GF for the walkway to MK and monorail to Epcot. I will be traveling alone with them and really dislike dealing with buses, especially if I take a stroller.

Now that the walkway will be closed until late spring, I am debating switching to WL. Cost difference is about $600 for the trip. The other choice was CR but in the Garden Wing at $50 more per night than GF.

Boardwalk Inn is also available for similar price as WL, but we’ve stayed there in the past. I did love being able to walk to Epcot/DHS. BC/YC/poly do not show availability.

Any thoughts? What would you pick? I’ve always wanted to stay at GF. I’d love to think Memorial Day is considered late spring and the walkway will be open, but on a technicality the first true day of summer is 6/21.

The WL is a great resort and the kids would enjoy it. I would either stay at the GF and live with the closed walkway or move to WL to save money. But I wouldn't go the CR.

I have not had to use a stroller in a million years. But I have to say, I really really really don't love the idea of a bus and a stroller. Even if the walkway at GF is closed, you have the monorail and the boat. I really really really love the boat to GF. If your kids were in love with the Incredibles, then maybe the garden wing - but $50 more than GF???? Relatively speaking, the GF may have a better rate due to construction. So this might be a good chance to check it out.

I have not had to use a stroller in a million years. But I have to say, I really really really don't love the idea of a bus and a stroller. Even if the walkway at GF is closed, you have the monorail and the boat. I really really really love the boat to GF. If your kids were in love with the Incredibles, then maybe the garden wing - but $50 more than GF???? Relatively speaking, the GF may have a better rate due to construction. So this might be a good chance to check it out.
You are right… I remember the last time I went I told my husband “never again” with the stroller and bus. I can just roll it onto the boat/monorail. Thank you!

You are right… I remember the last time I went I told my husband “never again” with the stroller and bus. I can just roll it onto the boat/monorail. Thank you!

Just a small technicality, these days they tend to have two style boats on the GF-Poly-MK loop… the larger boats do allow for roll-on/roll off strollers, but for the smaller one you’ll have to fold it up/hold it next to you. Usually during peak times they alternate but you can see non-peak and/or shift-change times where only one type will be in service.

If you have a bulky double stroller it can be slightly cumbersome with the small boat if it’s crowded, but still pretty manageable.

Sorry if you already know that, just wanted to point that out.

Enjoy your trip!

The walkway is not…short, it’s a walk around the lagoon. My husband I push two strollers on the way home and will miss this spontaneous choice because it’s a nice option. (He also like to run it in the morning) But honestly I can live without it this time when we travel in April. My husband was the one cheering me on pushing the stroller when I was more than happy to wait or fold down stroller for the boat. The only time it was really something I valued was after fireworks and I’m thinking we will just skip that this time and watch from the GF which is fun and easy. Or wait till monorail time is decent if we stay in park.

I had RPC booked for the end of March. Since it was only one night before moving to the YC I was willing to overlook the lobby construction, but the walkway being closed was a deal breaker. I switched to a CR CL room. We are not fans of the CR and have never stayed but am looking forward to trying something new. We avoid the monorail whenever possible. Keep in mind that leaving the MK on the monorail the GF is the last stop. When they are only running the small boats it could also take an hour or more getting out of the MK at night. We stopped going to the MK at night for that reason until they opened the walkway. They almost always run the larger boats to the WL. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pardon my ignorance. We are newbie GF DVC owners and taking our welcome home trip in March. If the construction is now at Sugar Loaf, where is this in relation to the villas? We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa and I'm wondering if we'll be impacted by the construction in terms of noise?

Any info is awesome!

Pardon my ignorance. We are newbie GF DVC owners and taking our welcome home trip in March. If the construction is now at Sugar Loaf, where is this in relation to the villas? We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa and I'm wondering if we'll be impacted by the construction in terms of noise?

Any info is awesome!
You will not be directly impacted. The only way you will notice any construction is if you are walking in that area… for example you’d have to pass those buildings under construction either to go to Gasparilla’s (quick service) or on the way to the boat. I provided a map below. The building circled in red is the DVC building and the building in yellow is the Sugarloaf building. Conch is directly next to Sugarloaf, and is also under construction, as well as Narcoossee’s restaurant that is across from Conch. Have fun!

A9CE878F-F283-4CC1-9584-3371546C170F.jpeg

I was very much looking forward to our stay at the Grand the end of August I just moved to Riviera (we will have a car) I don't want to deal with the construction in the main building we were planning for lots of pool time and I would think at that point they would be doing the outside of the main building as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter