Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

***Posted on main board as well****

We stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins for our Disney vacation. We were there from Sun, November 27th to Thursday, December 1st. Here are my opinions and observations.

We LOVED the cabins, like, loved them. Most people have golf carts. There are only 4 parking spots at the main pool, and none at the marina area. We did not get a cart.

Cabins:
They were very nice and spacious. The main room had the queen sized bed and two bunks. The queen bed was the most comfortable by far. My kids slept on the bunks, and they were fine for them, but one night my husband tried to sleep on the top bunk, and it was too short for him (he is 6 foot). The couch hide-a-way was better than most couch beds, but not super comfortable. The living area was large and had plenty of space for us (4 adults, 2 kids and an infant) between the couch and the dining room table. The cabins have plenty of storage imo for our stay as well. We had no problem with only one bath. We planned it out and some people got ready at night, and some did in the morning.

Transportation:
Golf carts make things a lot easier. There are plenty of cart parking spots all around. We did not have a golf cart, but once we realized the buses take you everywhere, we were fine. We had a bus stop close by our cabin which was nice. We never waited more than 5 minutes for any bus. They run like clockwork and there are always multiple buses running. It was very efficient. The buses went to the pool and marina as well as most cabin loops. The line for the boat can get pretty long, but the boat that takes you to MK holds plenty of people, and we never waited for a second boat. The ride over was quick and easy. I read a lot about the transportation being a downfall of the cabins, but we didn't find this at all. To be fair, we only used the boat, we drove our own car to AK, so I can't say whether the bus to this park was slow or not.

Atmosphere: The cabins were so relaxing. It felt good to get back after long days and relax. We had lots of space, and it was so quiet. I have a 5 month old, so not worrying about our neighbors hearing her every cry was very nice. I found the cabins to be chill and relaxed. I have stayed at the hotels before, and this was definitely a whole different feel. We were there early, but many people still had lights up. It was very nice.

Food: We ate at two different places on the grounds. We went to Hoop de Doo the first night. The first 15 or so minutes was pretty lame, so I was a bit disappointed, but the show picked up and it ended up being really cute and funny. The food was ok, but not amazing, except the cornbread. If I could have smuggled some cornbread home to eat the rest of the week, I would have. The chicken and ribs were fine, but nothing to write home about. Same with the sides. Overall, I found it was worth my money because my kids (4 and 6) had a great time.
The last night we ate at the Trail End's buffet. This buffet was excellent imo. They had SO much food, and almost everything I tried was very good. I asked my older son what his favorite food this trip was, and he said Trail's end.

Pool: We only had time to go to the pool once. It has one corkscrew slide. My kids had so much fun. They rode the slide at least 20 times. They have life jackets that can be borrowed, and a whole other side with splash pads for smaller kids. My kids had a blast and didn't want to leave.

So, I really have nothing negative except maybe more walking than I'd like at the end of a long day, but even then, the buses were efficient and the walk could be minimized by getting a golf cart or requesting a cabin close to a bus stop.

Feel free to ask any question if you had any. Hope this helps anybody trying to decide if a cabin is good for them.
Thanks for the thorough review. We're a family of 5 so I'm glad to hear you found the cabins to be spacious. I was concerned to about storage space but am relieved to hear there's plenty of it.

Thanks for the thorough review. We're a family of 5 so I'm glad to hear you found the cabins to be spacious. I was concerned to about storage space but am relieved to hear there's plenty of it.
There is space under the queen bed for storage too.

There was a set of dressers under the TV in the main room, a smaller set of drawers in the bedroom (kid's clothes would go there). A closet to hand things up, as well as space on top of the closet for suitcases to get them out of the way. There were a few places for counter space as well. We had enough room with 4 adults and 3 kids, though we only stayed 4 nights and 3 days.

Trying to remember how to request a certain camp loop, I want to stay in 1500 and can't remember how I requested it last year. Tent camping and I know the other tent loop is not as desirable, really enjoyed that loop a lot last year. Whats the best way to request it?

Trying to remember how to request a certain camp loop, I want to stay in 1500 and can't remember how I requested it last year. Tent camping and I know the other tent loop is not as desirable, really enjoyed that loop a lot last year. Whats the best way to request it?

Call the Main Reservation Line and add the request to your reservation.

You used to be able to request a loop with the online check in but they changed it. You can call and add it. Here's the number
(407) 824-2900

Finally less than 60 days out --- I'm going to need this trip.......burying my mom this Saturday......she lost her battle with cancer last Friday. The Greatest Generation lost another one.

Tom

Finally less than 60 days out --- I'm going to need this trip.......burying my mom this Saturday......she lost her battle with cancer last Friday. The Greatest Generation lost another one.

Tom
I am very sorry for your loss. Sending prayers your way.

Tom
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, my heart goes out to you. You

HI
We check out first thing in the morning (Dec 9th). we stayed in a cabin but have a few things we are leaving behind like a new single air mattress leftover shampoo and conditioner, little swimmers. mickey balloon. if anyone is interested let me know asap ;) free free

Tom

My sincerest condolences Tom. Hopefully your trip eases some of the pain. :grouphug:

We just booked a trip for next Christmas!!!! We've never gone at Christmas and I just can't stand it I'm so excited!!!! Equally exciting, we were shocked when the kids requested that we stay at FW again! :)

I stayed at the cabins just over a year ago and they were "refreshing" all of the cabins. Have all of the loops been updated at this point? Staying in February and wanted to put my location request in whenever I'm allowed to do that, can't remember how manta days out. Thank you!

I stayed at the cabins just over a year ago and they were "refreshing" all of the cabins. Have all of the loops been updated at this point? Staying in February and wanted to put my location request in whenever I'm allowed to do that, can't remember how manta days out. Thank you!
Yes all of the cabins are refurbished. They removed the 2100 loop from the cabins. You can call and add your loop request whenever you would like. You used to be able to check the loop request on the online check in but they removed that option. Online check in begins at 60 days out.

Yes all of the cabins are refurbished. They removed the 2100 loop from the cabins. You can call and add your loop request whenever you would like. You used to be able to check the loop request on the online check in but they removed that option. Online check in begins at 60 days out.
Thanks so much! Yes, last time I made the request during check in. Thank you for the info.!

Can you get popcorn buckets anywhere at the Fort? We are staying for a few days and won't be going to the parks this time.

Can you get popcorn buckets anywhere at the Fort? We are staying for a few days and won't be going to the parks this time.
They sell popcorn at the snack stand at the evening campfire but pretty sure they do not have buckets.

Does anyone have any ideas on where the best place would be to put up the pack n play? I'm not sure if it would fit in the bedroom...

Does anyone have any ideas on where the best place would be to put up the pack n play? I'm not sure if it would fit in the bedroom...

If you're talking about in a cabin I don't think there's any way it'll fit in the bedroom. You have the queen bed, the bunk bed & the chest of drawers with the tv & small closet. There's barely enough room to walk between the bed & the bunks, although they did fit a small night stand. i don't know if you could fit it partly in the closet in there but it'd be tight. The only other spots are going to be in the kitchen, living room, dining room area. Maybe someone else has tried & figured out a way. We just stayed a week in October & the cabin is quite compact but we loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter