Disneyland show?

How is that odd? Someone is criticizing me for explaining why Pete made a decision and I thought the saying was don’t shoot the messenger. Plus, most people then change their thoughts and minds when they know it comes from Pete because they respect him so much. The fact is, and please take me at my word on this, if you’re unhappy with the Disneyland Show, the best way to voice your opinion is by not watching or listening. Numbers sometimes speak louder than words.

You did come off kind of harsh.

Last edited:
The DL team could really use someone else to help with food reviews. They have three people and by the time they modify for dietary restrictions is not even fair to Disney or an accurate review.
I acknowledge that Disney accommodating allergies is an important topic, but when you order a dish and leave off crucial parts, breads, sauces and sides you can’t review that dish fairly. That’s not how the chef intended it to be served.
The salad at BB or the cheeseburger are great examples, with a nice roll, sauces and the side of fries (included but turned down) it could easily be more acceptable meal. Disney even tried to replace the fries with fresh fruit also turned down.
Keto is a diet, not a food allergy. Pete, as long as you are on Keto, it does feel a bit unfair to the chefs who are working incredibly hard and you need other people at the table to facilitate a more objective overall picture.
Katrina and Tyler seem still swayed by their completely unrealistic $200 comped meal, declaring it awesome before even trying it and announcing again how much they love it though providing little proof.
I am betting the truth about LL lies somewhere between Pete and Katrina’s versions.
Tom, Tony or Mary Jo need to go into LL and give us a fair, more objective opinion and useful information for those of us who plan to actually order off the menu. Seriously Pete, that chef DESERVES a fair review of the dishes as he/she created them, send in some locals please.

Last edited:

Listened to show #2 yesterday to give it another shot. It was ok as a review, but nothing in it is overly helpful for planning. Reviews, IMO, are different than planning oriented shows.

Friends of mine are going with their 3.5 y/o son in September. They e never been to Disneyland..don’t know if they’ve been to world themselves, but definitely not with their son. A year ago I would have already given them the link for the podcast. I have yet to see a reason to with this new show, and I haven’t mentioned it to them at all. This show seems more geared to WDW vets going to DLR than it does to *any new visitor* going to DLR.

Change is good.
Not always. Remember New Coke or Crystal Pepsi?

Whether change is good or not good depends on what changes are implemented, why they were implemented, and the desired end goal(s). Change will never please everybody, but how well change is accepted depends on how effectively the latter two are communicated. And in the case here, there is plenty of room for improvement.

While the following ‘statement’ written by me after divining the tea leaves around why the change would have occurred would be unlikely to change the opinions of those listeners who are not happy with the change, it would set the record straight as to why the changed occurred and the likelihood of any reversion back to the old format. Had something similar been released with the return of the show some of the angst seen here may have been able to be avoided.

****My thoughts and words. No affiliation with Pete or Dreams Unlimited Travel.***
The old podcast format was not meeting the marketing and revenue generating needs of Dreams Unlimited Travel. The DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition with its news heavy and timely information format attracted a primary audience of Disneyland locals. Unfortunately Disneyland locals are not Dreams Unlimited Travel’s target audience. They do not generate revenue from their Disneyland stays. They would only generate revenue if the Disneyland locals decide to go to WDW, maybe Aulina, or on a Disney Cruise. In order to improve The DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition’s performance as a marketing vehicle it is changing to better attract a different customer/listener audience, the non-Disneyland local, Disney fan who is interested in a trip to Disneyland. To this end the timely news and information segments of the show are eliminated as they are of limited value to these listeners/customers. These listeners are planning trips to Disneyland months out and are going regardless of what the current Disneyland news is. All that is relevant to them are the macro level Park news items. At that news level a full team of Disneyland locals is not needed, as there is not a need for in depth multi-perspective news related discussions. This change reduces the show’s production overhead, facilitates pre-recording the show as the need for immediacy is no longer present, as well as allowing for an easier transition to a primarily video format. While the hosts of the previous show did a good job with vacation planning, the planning assistance in the new show is going to be better.

The new DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition that has been created to meet these needs is a totally new show. The only things it shares with the old show are the name, the sponsor, and the subject of Disneyland. While there may be some tweaks to the new show, the news and rapid fire heavy format of the old show will not be returning; neither will its primarily locals perspective nor will the base return to California. All the fans of the old DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition and your long time loyalty to the show are greatly appreciated. It is hoped you will stay on with the new show and the DIS Unplugged family, but it is understood if the new show no longer meets your needs. If you leave, well wishes and know that you are always welcome to come back.
*****End of fictional statement*****

Being direct about change is frequently not popular, but sometimes it is better just to rip off the Band-Aid and be done with it. Letting false hope linger delays closure.

The DL team could really use someone else to help with food reviews. They have three people and by the time they modify for dietary restrictions is not even fair to Disney or an accurate review.
I acknowledge that Disney accommodating allergies is an important topic, but when you order a dish and leave off crucial parts, breads, sauces and sides you can’t review that dish fairly. That’s not how the chef intended it to be served.
The salad at BB or the cheeseburger are great examples, with a nice roll, sauces and the side of fries (included but turned down) it could easily be more acceptable meal. Disney even tried to replace the fries with fresh fruit also turned down....

I would like to express agreement with some of your points. A romesco sauce would have provided excellent flavor, and how does one enjoy nachos without a cheese sauce??

As someone with very limited knowledge of Disneyland (I probably know more about it from the 50's and 60's then today); I feel I shall benefit from the new format.

However, I could understand why a more seasoned listener might get bored. In the meantime, I shall look forward to learning more about Disneyland!!

Last edited:
That lamp light lounge looks overpriced TGIFridays food. $20 for Lobster Nachos?

I haven't been to the LL but did have the Lobster Nachos at the Cove bar and they are definitely worth $20 - and, per Tyler, the portion has increased. Even with the smaller portion my family made a small meal out of them

I mean, it's Disney (heck, not even Disney, it's in a theme park so it is going to be more expensive). And even in that review, I would much, much rather spend $20 on that huge plate of lobster nachos than $22 on the burger that Pete ordered

Okay.

I'm not gonna talk about the cast, past or present, because frankly, I like(and liked) them all. Some I connected with better than others, but all of them brought(or bring) something to the table. And I'm not gonna talk about the current shows, because they've been talked about to exhaustion in this thread(and others).

But this discussion has taken a turn that has brought to mind something I've been meaning to mention for a while now, but didn't want to start an entire thread about. And since I know Craig(and probably others) are at least perusing this thread, I might as well bring it up here.

There is a gap in the DIS lineup of shows right now. The shows do an outstanding job dealing with attractions, shows, restaurants, resorts, news(especially WDW news), and "big-picture" Disney-related stuff.

But here's the gap....there's not been an episode of the DL show in a while, and the WDW show in a LONG while, that is strictly planning-related. And I mean nitty-gritty planning....

-Here's what park to hit on which day
-Here's when to get there
-Here's what attractions to hit first
-Here are tips for avoiding crowds at meal times
-How to zig when the crowds are zagging
-Here's a one-day itinerary for each park(you would need to do one for families with small children, families with older kids, adults w/o kids, solo travelers, etc.)

It wouldn't need to be a regular show. In fact, just like you have the Disney Dining Show, do a one-off each month...."The Disney Planning Show". But you would need to update it regularly because of the changes at each park. So a yearly calendar would be something like this.

-January through April....do one park a month, planning a day for those with small kids
-May through August....do one park a month, planning a day for those with older kids
-September through December....do one park a month, planning a day for adult travelers(including solo) who aren't traveling with kids

By the time you cycled through a year, it would be time to do it again, because there would be enough changes(shows, restaurants, possibly attractions) to warrant refreshing it for the new year.

It would be a challenge for the team to view the parks through the "one day lens", but I feel like they could do it. Just imagine a random family(or adult travelers without kids) visiting from out-of-state that has one day at each park. Get detailed. Bring in a guest for perspective if needed. But help someone who hasn't been to WDW/DL, or hasn't been for several years, so that they have a plan in hand.

The DL team, as noted above, did this every once in a while, and as someone who visited DL for the first time a year ago, it was invaluable to know which park to hit on which day, what time to get there, what attractions to hit at certain points, and how to maximize the experience.

This goes beyond general news/opinion shows about the parks(and nobody does those better than the DIS), but it's a gap that I see in the DIS programming, and one that if filled, could be a huge asset to those who are overwhelmed with the thought of a WDW or DL trip.

I think the view counts/listenership would be through the roof, actually. Because it would be something that I, as a regular DIS listener, could recommend to someone trying to plan a trip for the first time(or first time in a long time).

Sorry this was so long. When I post serious thoughts, I just really put it all out there, I guess.

Last edited:
The salad at BB or the cheeseburger are great examples, with a nice roll, sauces and the side of fries (included but turned down) it could easily be more acceptable meal. Disney even tried to replace the fries with fresh fruit also turned down.
Keto is a diet, not a food allergy. Pete, as long as you are on Keto, it does feel a bit unfair to the chefs who are working incredibly hard and you need other people at the table to facilitate a more objective overall picture.
Katrina and Tyler seem still swayed by their completely unrealistic $200 comped meal, declaring it awesome before even trying it and announcing again how much they love it though providing little proof.
I am betting the truth about LL lies somewhere between Pete and Katrina’s versions.
Tom, Tony or Mary Jo need to go into LL and give us a fair, more objective opinion and useful information for those of us who plan to actually order off the menu. Seriously Pete, that chef DESERVES a fair review of the dishes as he/she created them, send in some locals please.

Why are Tom, Tony and Mary Jo the only people capable of handling that review in a "fair, more objective opinion and useful" way? I guess Tyler's opinion doesn't matter because he's not one of the original cast members? Pretty transparent criticism here. It's a restaurant. It doesn't require decades of intimate knowledge about Disneyland.

People complain that they want to see more reviews from people who need modifications to their food because of diet or allergy, then people complain that there's not enough "standard" food reviews. My goodness.

Last edited:
Here's what I know (and it's not a lot)--FANatics lose their shizzzz when there is change in the lineup. Whether people leave on their own volition and pursue their own projects and are happy, or not. Some show up in their own shows on different platforms. Their Disney passion continues. It's not the Hotel California. People change jobs. It's not 30 years and the gold watch anymore.

There is such a hazing of new talent on these shows it's sadly predictable. People were savage with Charles. Just savage. Posting all sorts of irrelevant and ages old Google searches for the sole purpose of making him look bad. Now look, he's really improved because he's been doing it a while. No one comes in to this being smooth and comfortable on camera. And then, lo and behold, it's discovered he's a fantastic writer. Now it's all hail Charles. This is just one example of how tough it is to be new. Here and anywhere.

Pete gives people chances. Isn't that a good thing? He can come across as grumpy and cranky when he expresses his opinions. Like many of you, I've met him (and several others from the team-also nice) and he is.......so sweet. Yes, sweet. He's kind and authentic. Talks to you and looks you in the eyes. Has an actual conversation back and forth. Genuinely a nice guy. I also believe he and John are astute business people. They realize you have to keep things dynamic and moving forward.

I appreciate the show taking a younger person's view. The show was skewing "older folks" and while that's just fine, diversity is key.

Like Craig mentioned, it's the data that matters. Vote with your feet. Don't like it, don't watch/listen. Move on. See if the next change is more to your liking. For now, this is what it is and they are making a go of it.

I love the new DL show. It was so-so before but it really pops now with the new lineup and format.

In fact my wife and I are in early conversations about booking a DL trip with Dreams Unlimited to go there.

The new podcast is now a treasured part of my commute. Tyler and Katrina work well together, and with Pete and Ryno's participation make for a nice round-table discussion.

As long as Rhyno doesn't "Caesar" Pete and take over! (JK! A little nod to his rant the other day) :sunny:

New drinking game....take a shot everytime Tyler says my fiance Katrina....

Or you could take a shot every time someone whines about the free content not being to their exact liking, but I wouldn't want to advocate alcohol poisoning.

I think people are interested in relationships because they're human. It's part of what makes up most folks.

It's always amusing on the Q&A shows for the Universal show that the first answer is always Craig saying "No, Rhyno and I are not a couple." Despite both Craig and Rhyno mentioning their partners frequently people still make that assumption.

Maybe T&K are just trying to head that off?

I can appreciate those listeners/watchers who loved the original format of the DL show. However, I found it unappealing. Only my opinion, no one needs to agree. I enjoy Pete and Ryno, their repartee is entertaining and informative.

Last edited:
Or you could take a shot every time someone whines about the free content not being to their exact liking, but I wouldn't want to advocate alcohol poisoning.

I think people are interested in relationships because they're human. It's part of what makes up most folks.

It's always amusing on the Q&A shows for the Universal show that the first answer is always Craig saying "No, Rhyno and I are not a couple." Despite both Craig and Rhyno mentioning their partners frequently people still make that assumption.

Maybe T&K are just trying to head that off?
huh?[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter